TKR Fibular Head Pain, Stopping Recovery<

Thank you for asking this. I'm in the same boat. One of my knees is 19w old and I barely think about that one much these days. My other is 9w old tomorrow and it's still the first and last thing I think about every day. But...I'm feeling ready to start getting active. I went kayaking today (just don't attempt to visualize the barrel roll I did to disembark from boat to dock!) and got new shoes to start walking. Mentally I'm ready. Let's see if that youngest baby knee agrees.

I figure it will let me know loud & clear if it's not.
 
I am overwhelmed with all of the wonderful replies to me, my question and my TKR experience! I am literally crying as i type this because i feel so cared for and well, loved, by people i dont know. Thank you, each of you, truly thank you!

Tonight, as is usual, i got very uncomfortable and anxious which happens in the evening. I guess just night time stuff, pain, reality, blah blah blah. BUT then i decided to write a list of things i did well today: here is my list.

8/29
  1. I started this list
  2. I posted, commented and received such wonderful support on bonesmart.org
  3. I did better at flexing quad
Then after writing my list i read additional posts to my thread, thus more crying but a good cry this time.

I am going to cut me some slack and relax. Do what i can do each day and rest ALL of the other time. I am going to be gentle with my knee and myself. A big hug to each of you i am off to a good nights rest.
 
Evenings are just the worst, aren't they? I can do pretty well all day, and then around 7 PM, the discomfort seems to increase, doubt sets in, etc. Knowing the pattern doesn't always help, but knowing that others experience the same things might. Hang in there!
 
Thanks Kathleen so much and yes @Polkadot evenings really are the worst. I go down a slippery slope into non positive, poor me, ouch etc super fast. It does help to know you are not alone i this evening time change of perception. I recover but i have to incorporate all my my coping skils and plans to step out of the muck.

Have a great day all!!!
 
As you probably remember from knee #1, this first month or so is all about elevating/icing/resting which can be difficult when you're used to getting up and going. As a teacher who had never had surgery I was surprised at how tired I was from doing nothing. I was also shocked at my inability to concentrate for any period of time. Luckily I have a bff who is a surgery warrior as well as a TKR recipient and she helped me to understand all the lovely "side effects" that come with a major surgery.

Evenings were the worst for me, mostly because I couldn't sleep. If you're able to focus try to find an activity that will keep you occupied such as something interesting on TV, YouTube, BoneSmart, reading (highly unlikely from my experience) etc. and save it for the evening.
 
Have not had my surgery yet but I love the support and sharing going on . Nothing better than someone who has done the walk talk .I am only going to have my hip done ,so I am sure I am on the wrong page .
I wish you all a good recovery .
 
@margo, don't say *only* when it comes to the hip! THR is a major surgery, but it comes with a different set of aches and pains. The frustrations are similar, but having had both, I can say, the knee is the worst. The good news is, you don't have to worry about ROM, something that makes knee surgery frightening and frustrating. You also won't need much if any PT.:-) Best of luck!

@cycling67, nights are the worst for everyone , so you're in great company! Once you move beyond the two week point, things improve a little bit. Not a lot, but some. Just post here often to vent; it's a sanity saver!
 
...
My question and request to all: at what point post op do you feel the major healing has completed and it is time to push harder with PT? ...

Hi Brenda, Hi and congratulations on your second TKR. You will find this to be a game changer in terms of enjoying an active life.

To answer your question, as soon as I felt I was beyond the major healing (at about 8 weeks post op) I was "done" with PT and transitioned back into modified gym activities, hiking, and eventually cycling. I also had a room at home set up with a spin bike, a step aerobics step, a yoga mat, inflatable body balls, etc. - relatively inexpensive items with the exception of the spin bike, which I've had for years.

Some people may need the guidance of a physical therapist, and mine were nice enough, but I'm a very independent person. After a bad experience with massage (1st TKR) I wouldn't allow them to touch my leg after my 2nd TKR. During the early weeks I also wanted to rest when I wanted to rest. So I barely did any formal PT. I think I completed a total of 5 sessions during post op weeks 6-8, and that was all.
 
Last edited:
@KarriB It really is difficult to just give into the exhaustion and let your body heal and not fight it. And for sure, the side effects (emotional and physical) of a TKR are substantial and knowing those going into this 2nd one have certainly helped. I am at least prepared with a "bucket of tools" to help me cope. You listed many of them, i use netflix (watching Cheers), short positive thoughts like the below, bonesmart and people who provide great distractions! :)

"Anxiety happens when you think you have to figure out everything all at once. Breathe. You're strong. You got this! Take it day by day".
 
@Clipless Hi and thank you for sharing your experience! 8 weeks is kind of what i was thinking on the 'major' healing, of course likely varying for everyone.

I also can see me doing more therapy on my own with good instruction from the PT, but i am going to start outpatient next week. Only twice a week and if i feel it is too much for me i will need to hold off for another week.

I look forward to the time when i can get around on my spin bike, will still be several weeks away but that is OK.
 
Hello to everyone! I wanted to post a quick update and ask a question. I am currently 2 weeks and 5 days post operation. I am currently going to out patient physical therapy to a therapist group that i love! They believe in a slow, methodical, smart recovery tailored to each individual! I am doing well, they say. I have good extension (maybe around 2 degrees) and i guess ok flexion at around 80 degrees. I tend to struggle with flexion, it hurts and i am a bit of a baby....

Question: the muscles in my leg are slow to "wake up". I cannot do a straight leg raise or extend my lower leg on my own. PT says normal for many and it will return. Muscles need to remember how to work. Does anyone have any advice on this matter or suggestions? I am handling it fairly well but my patience is slowly dropping. @Pheebs52 please send more shiny rred boxes of patience.

Is there a way to change the title of the thread? I see we are to try and stick with one thread which is smart, but thought title might change.

Thank you and happy healing positive thoughts to all!!!!!!!'
 
Yes, we can change the title thread for you, just let us know what you'd like it to be.

I had trouble with my quad waking up, it took forever to do a straight leg raise and like yours, my PT said it needed to wake up. To help it along I would do straight leg raises with my leg lifter, doing most of the work with my arm power. Slowly I used less arm power and more legmpower, until I wasn't using arm power at all. I think it helped to build strength in my leg while I worked on waking up the quad. If you don't have a leg lifter you can use a belt, towel, scarf or dog leash.

And 80 is great for 2 weeks post op!
 
@cycling67, I'm going to send you the large, economy-sized shiny, red box of patience. Now remember, you have to put some between your eyes besides some on your knee.

My quad was a total zombie. I think it was in a medically induced coma, lol. I used a dog leash to haul it up and off the bed and the sofa for about 4 weeks. Finally, out of the blue (as many advances are with this knee gig) it got bored one day and decided it wanted to do more. Yours will too! That said, THEY make the decisions, not us. The knees have their own mysterious agenda and they're quite unpredictable. Is your quad/knee very swollen? Mine was, and I know it held back my initial progress.

I agree with KarriB on your flexion being excellent as is your extension, so breathe a big sigh of relief; phew! I'm so glad you've found a great PT because it makes a huge difference in attitude and recovery. My guy is also one who pretty closely follows the Bonesmart guidelines, so I feel very fortunate in that respect. I can honestly say he's never hurt me, but I've hurt myself when I've tried to push beyond discomfort. Stopping at discomfort is key if you wish to avoid swelling and more pain.
 
@KarriB and @Pheebs52: Thank you!!!! It always helps to know you are not alone in this knee recovery marathon. I will keep on keeping on with my exercises, i do have a leg lifter of the human sort :heehee: who helps me each day, i feel very blessed when i think of those who help me recover (including my bonesmart friends!).

I hope my muscles decide to wake up soon but indeed they do seem to have a mind of their own. I have very little swelling which i am grateful for, i ice all of the time and still sleep with the 'iceman' on my knee.

Thank you for the reminder that pushing beyond the point of discomfort is actually doing more harm than good. My PT tells me this and i have to remember. That old addage of No Pain No Gain keeps popping up in my head and i keep pushing it out.

Thx for the economy sized box. Ah yes between the eyes, i had forgotten, that will help! :loll:

Lets change this thread title to: Left TKR: muscles slow to "wake".

Have a nice night all!
Brenda
 
Brenda, I changed your thread title. Does that look right? If not, let me know and I'll fix it.

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
 
I tried several times to do a leg lift, and my leg just sat there. One day the therapist came in and asked me to do one. I thought " fat chance at that". But my leg miraculously lifted. I was thrilled. It was like I had won the Olympics!
 
Though I generally didn't have a leg lifting problem, there was one day my quads didn't seem to be home. It was mystifying. A little scary too. But then they started working again. Some new TKRs don't get their quads going for a while, but they do wake up. You're going to cheer.

When they say "No pain, no gain" we say, "No pain = More gain!"
 
@OJ2 thanks and i feel like when i can finally lift my leg on its own i will have won a gold medal too.

@SusieShoes if you hear a cheer from Utah know it is me with muscles that have awoken!

@alexthecat the new title is good thank you for the help!!!
 
We will all cheer for you when your quads decide to do leg lifts. Celebrate every bit of progress, no matter how small. Each one leads you forward and closer to where you want to be. Some things we just can't force, but we can sure enjoy them when they come.
 
Back
Top Bottom