Guest viewing is limited

TKR Feggie's TKR Journey <

I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

Cancelling tomorrow is a good idea. Maybe cancel more, until you feel better.

What do they have you do at PT?

You don’t need a lot of exercises this early, and especially with the pain you are having. Just gently move your knee and take short walks in the house. Cutting back activities can help reduce some of the pain. :console2:
 
The things that hurt me and caused the swelling were leg lifts and bends. I have been elevating and icing on and off most of the day.
 
One of the first things Bonesmart tells us is, if it hurts, don’t do it. Wait a while, give yourself more time to heal, then try it again at a later date.

I did not do leg lifts as an exercise. They hurt my back and I told my PT I would not compromise my back, that had taken a long time to get to a manageable level.(but I did everything else I was told to, until I found Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op)

After several weeks, maybe even a month or more, I realized I was able to get my leg up on my elevating wedge by myself, which I couldn’t do in the early weeks. I pushed it aside and tried an actual exercise type leg lift. My leg went all the way up high! I was so excited! And I hadn’t “worked” at it, just did it as part of my daily activity when I went to bed and elevated my leg all night.

Normal movements will return as you heal. As you heal, your leg will naturally strengthen.

Also, don’t try to bend it far. PT told me to use a sheet to pull my foot as close to me as I could. I did that. It was awful. When I found Bonesmart I learned that doing that was not helping, but was keeping my leg swollen and inflamed.

Just treat your knee gently. That’s all it needs, gentle movements that don’t hurt.
 
On my, PT is keeping your knee inflamed and swollen. Those poor soft tissues are trying so hard to heal and PT is keeping them from doing that. Those exercises are not doing you any good, only harm. Your knee is reacting by swelling and having awful pain. Pain and swelling is telling you that you are doing too much and your knee is not ready for that. You should never have extra pain or extra swelling. Please stop all exercises except for what you need to do during the day to live. That's all many of us did and have a good recovery without having all that pain. We really hate to read that so many are doing things that they don't have to do and are causing themselves so much more pain that they don't have to have.
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Feggie's TKR Journey <


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1.My pain level when resting is 1. When I walk 6. When I try to bend 7.

2. I take Tramadol twice a day. I couldn't take Oxycodone, as it gave me a rash. I also take Celebrex once a day.

3.My swelling is moderate

4 ROM 90 bend, extension straight out

5. Icing 4x day for 30 min.

6. Elevating several times per day on wedge I got on Amazon that looks like one recommended here.

7. I am walking around the house all day, doing laundry, cooking, no housework. I have been out to lunch with friends and was sore from my leg being down for extended time.

Heel slides 2 sets of 10, leg lifts, squats at the sink.

I was at PT last two weeks 2x/week. After last Thur I was in so much pain (therapist stretched me to point of agony)... My doc said to take this week off.

Today I was very sore on back of leg. Dr. ordered an ultrasound to check for clot..no clot...probably Baker's cyst.

Thank you for your help.
 
Feggie you don't need to make two posts to answer me. And you don't need to quote my post either. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and start typing in the box like this

[Bonesmart.org] Feggie's TKR Journey <



If you want to quote or just quote a line, read this How to use the quote feature


Heel slides 2 sets of 10, leg lifts, squats at the sink.

I was at PT last two weeks 2x/week. After last Thur I was in so much pain (therapist stretched me to point of agony)... My doc said to take this week off.
I also forgot this
which means please make a list and not an essay!
and
Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
I need detail, sweet lady!
 
Last edited:
Hi Feggie!!!
Sorry to hear about your allergic reaction and problems with the pain meds....Dont be discouraged...this surgery is way more than I think most of us anticipated....at least I know it was for me. Hell I thought I would be ok and back to work 4-6 weeks from surgery lol. I started at abut 50 flexion the first week and now am at week nine and have only gotten to 80-85. The pain will stay around for a while, but it diminishes a little more each week. I've just started cutting down on my pain meds but the stiffness is still there. Ive only just had my first two nights with six hours of continuous sleep...oh it was glorious...but it was great to have this site for all those other nights when I would only sleep for two hours at a clip. You will experience many emotions during your recovery...I was so frustrated and cried at night around five weeks because it seemed like it would never get better, but as you read the stories on here you realize it will....it just takes time....so I've learned to have patience, and remember where I started....I could barely walk two blocks prior to surgery...then after surgery I couldn't put on my own socks or shoes, or sit comfortably, or sleep....but gradually that has gotten better, so take solace in the little victories for now. I also did aggressive pt in the beginning which I feel just further aggravated the swelling and inflammation. I only got better flexion and less pain after I stopped pt and concentrated more on icing/elevating and gentle stretches. Everyone is different so dont try and compare yourself with people who are doing better as there are just as many people who are progressing as you are. Hope you feel better soon....ill be watching your updates :)
 
I had my TKR on Oct. 17, so I am five weeks and 3 days out. I think skipping PT this week was the best thing I have ever done. (Last week when I left I was in so much pain, I got a large swelling on the back of my knee, probably my old Bakers cyst...my doc told me to take the week off)....I feel like I have progressed some.

I still have a lot of pain when I try to lay down in the bed. Sleeping on my side hurts. My leg still feels like a dead log, and my gait is not even yet. I'm elevating and icing several times a day. I have been taking 1 Celebrex 200mg per day, and Excedrin PM at night, which helps me sleep, and relieves my pain without narcotics.

Yesterday I drove about a mile and back. Today I tried my recumbent bicycle (got a good deal on Amazon) and was able to "go round" for the first time....I only did it for a couple of minutes as I still have a lot of pain in my quad area and a sharp pain where the tourniquet was.

I wish I didn't have to go back to PT, I wonder if I stop will I get in trouble with my doc or insurance for non compliance?

I am reading so many of your stories and getting encouragement.
 
Would an administrator please change my thread title to Feggies TKR Journey? Thank you
 
I've changed your title as you requested.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 
I wish I didn't have to go back to PT, I wonder if I stop will I get in trouble with my doc or insurance for non compliance?
This was exactly my thought while I was still going to PT.

I think one has to be more on the cooperative side if it’s a workman’s comp issue, but if you are “just a regular” case, then you can call the shots.

When we realized PT had become counterproductive, both my husband and I were afraid if I went against the surgeon’s recommendation, and if I did develope a problem after I stopped PT he might not help us. I also didn’t want to deal with him being mad if I stopped.

I did hang in there with PT but started saying no to things and I did get an honorable discharge at 8 weeks.

That was 20 months ago and I’ve learned a lot since. While I extremely don’t like confrontation, I will do as I see fit next time. In fact, I will not go to PT at all next time. I dread an argument about it, but my next surgeon really can’t force me to go.
 
Feggie, please Feggie - please answer my questions in post #49
 
I wish I didn't have to go back to PT, I wonder if I stop will I get in trouble with my doc or insurance for non compliance?
You don't have to tell him. Insurance will be happy because it's less money for them to have to pay out! I never took formal PT and each visit to my OS was just fine. He never asked me anything about PT. He just cared about what I could do. I would think that any OS would think the same way unless he had some financial reason for wanting their patient to go to PT.
 
I think @sistersinhim is correct. My doc prescribed PT 3 x week and my PT said that's too much so I am going much less. I am fortunate to have a wonderfully gentle PT who works on functionality and does not care about ROM so I enjoy going.
 
For Josephine answer to #49
At home I do heel slides, 3 reps of 10 twice a day,
knee bends 3 reps of 10 twice a day
back kicks, (kicking toward my backside) 2 reps of 10 once a day

At PT they have me do 3 sets of 10 leg lifts (hurts)
back kicks 2 sets of 10
hamstring stretch 10 times
machine that does leg press for 10 minutes
 
Jockette: You sound just like me. I avoid confrontation, but I am going to stand up for myself when I go to PT. If it hurts I'm going to tell them I'm not doing it!
In the past week, on my PT vacation (!), I have gained range of motion, I'm quite sure. I think aggressive PT was keeping me sore and "tight"....Thank you for the encouragement.

Sistersinhim: I agree with what you said about insurance. The only time my OS mentioned PT was when he said to take the week off after I told him I was in so much pain after the last session!
 
It sounds like you don't have anything to worry about with your OS pushing PT! That has to be a huge relief!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom