TKR Feggie's TKR Journey <

I just saw the Dr and he thinks the massive rash I now have one leg and back is caused by the adhesive in the Superglue strip over my wound. He removed it and has put me on steroids, so hopefully that will take care of the hives that are driving me crazy. He said to go back on the Oxycodone, since he is sure I must have an adhesive allergy.
 
Feggie I am sorry you have an adhesive allergy but glad they found it and are treating it. This journey has enough trials without that added complication. Hope everything else is going well.
 
I’m sorry this complication arose, but it seems you and your care team are on top of it. Did the dr say when you should see the rash begin to lessen?
 
I think it's improving already. There was a piece of adhesive tape with superglue on it which he removed. The incision looks good, although the skin is very raised and angry from the hives. It has stopped spreading, which is very encouraging. Now if I can just get a good night's sleep! Up every 2 hours, can't get comfy. I go from the LaZBoy to the couch with pillows to raise my leg all night long!! Can't seem to get comfy in the bed!!
 
One of the most common complaints of this recovery is poor sleep. It does get better in time. How long it takes to get better varies for everyone. :console2:
 
I have a tip that many of you may know about, but has really helped me. Freeze 3 water bottles and put in your ice cuff machine with water. Saves you from using so much ice! We keep 6 bottles frozen for rotation.
My horrible rash from the adhesive is so much better today. Who knew adhesive could cause such a reaction!
I slept so much better last night, only up 3 times and got right back to sleep. Things are looking up, I think!
 
Yes takes a while to set up your routine rotating the frozen ice bottles. Glad the rash is resolving. Episodes of restful sleep should improve. I've learned to use the Do Not Disturb function on my cell phone when I nap to ensure uninterrupted rest time. And set an alarm to awake me so I don't oversleep and reverse my days/nights.
 
Sleep when and where you can. That's the important thing. Your body needs it badly and you actually heal better while you're sleeping. Another reason to sleep!
 
I have a new problem which is intense itching on my back. I could scratch myself raw if I don't keep applying benedryl cream. I am wondering if it is from the Oxycontin or could it be from the course of Corestone I am taking for the reaction I had to the adhesive holding my wound together. That reaction caused hives. This is intense itching, with a rash but I don't think it's hives. I was discharged by the home care nurse on Wed., since it has been two weeks since my surgery. She told me to call if I have any problems, so will call her. It's impossible to get through to anyone at my surgeons office, just leave a message..... Nurses are able to get right through to the DR.
Has anyone had a reaction that sounds like this? I have stopped taking my Oxycodone, but know I will need pain control when I begin outpatient PT in a few days.
 
but know I will need pain control when I begin outpatient PT in a few days.
I’m very sorry about that itching, but I have no advice for it.

However I do have advice about your statement I quoted.

It is not necessary for PT to hurt, so you don’t need pain medication for it. You need pain medication in general because you’ve just had a major traumatic surgery, but not to take care of extra pain due to PT.

As far as pain during PT, it is your body telling you that you are doing things that are not in your new knee’s best interest.

If PT does cause pain, you are getting the wrong kind of PT and should either speak up, or go somewhere else, or do your own at home.

All we hear is PT is going to hurt, and for most people it does. That doesn’t make it correct. Most of us are being mislead by our surgeons and PTs that we have to work hard at this recovery. They don’t take into account that our body needs to heal.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Glad the adhesive rash is better. I got itchy from morphine in the hospital as I recall, but I don't know if it involved a rash. :scratch: You had a good idea to call the nurse.
 
Why not consult your own doctor/PCP about the rash on your back?
 
I spoke to my dr. today and he thought the Codeine might be causing the itching on my back and tummy. He called in Tramadol, (which my pharmacist told my hubby when he picked it up may also cause itching). I am going nuts, almost takes my mind off the knee!! I'm using benedryl and benedryl cream. Small red rash all over my trunk. Anyone else every experience this?
On the PT front, I was released from home PT to go to outpatient PT next week. My flexion is up to 60%. The therapist showed me how to use a cane and get away from using the walker.
 
Last night the rash on my torso was so severe I ended up in the Emergency room. I didn't sleep for a minute as I was so itchy. I tried not to scratch, but the angry and red rash was over about 50% of my body.
The ER physician said I have a severe allergic reaction, and gave me a shot of steroids and started me on prednisone and two antihistamines.
I am 2 1/2 weeks post op from my TKR. I have taken no drugs of any kind (stopped the codeine 3 days ago) for 3 days. I am allergic to white gold, which I have been told has nickel in it. Does it sound possible I could have an allergy to my implant? The rash is not on the knee, though, which seems to point away from metal allergy.
Opinions welcomed!!!
 
It's been 1 month yesterday, and I feel as though I am going backwards instead of forward. My knee is more swollen than it has been and my pain goes from the middle of the knee to the inside of my thigh. I also have a pain on the back of the knee that feels like the Baker's cysts I had previous to surgery. Icing and elevation doesn't seem to help, although I keep doing it.

I had an allergic reaction to the codeine in my painkillers, so am taking only Tylenol and Tramadol. It really doesn't seem to affect the pain, whether I take it or not. On Thursday at PT, I left in so much pain I plan to cancel tomorrow's session. I plan to call the Dr and see if I can be seen.

When I see him, he takes an xray, says it looks great and sends me on my way. Form the time I had the surgery, I have never been without pain. After a month, I would think I should be feeling better. I am normally a stoic, who never complains.
 
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.
n Thursday at PT, I left in so much pain I plan to cancel tomorrow's session.
Cancelling tomorrow is a good idea. Maybe cancel more, until you feel better.

What do they have you do at PT?

You don’t need a lot of exercises this early, and especially with the pain you are having. Just gently move your knee and take short walks in the house. Cutting back activities can help reduce some of the pain. :console2:
 
@Feggie i didn’t start feeling better until 6 weeks. I also stopped oxycodone after 2 weeks, in hindsight it was too soon. If you’re in worse pain after PT...it’s too much. You’re actually keeping the knee swollen if you’re doing too much. I think you’re probably doing too much to your new knee. I also had foot pain, hip pain ( which still flares up) and insomnia. I finally slept at week 6 and that was my turning point. I was an emotional wreck. Tomorrow starts week 10 for me and things are better. Am I where I want to be? Absolutely not. But I do see the light. I think in a few more weeks if you cut back on PT, you’ll start seeing a difference. Wishing you the best!
 
Hi Feggie,
I had the same cycle with pt. Go in swollen and in pain and it's worse after pt. You need to cancel then ice and elevate constantly. And call your surgeons office and tell them you need better pain management. I learned this the hard way. Your knee is screaming for you to help the extra swelling caused by pt.

You will feel so much better when the swelling and pain is managed.
The oxycodone didn't help me much and the pt was awful. After a trip to the ER it was determined that my pain wasn't being managed. My doc changed it to hydrocodone and that did help. I also cancelled pt until I found a better therapist. The docs don't tell you these things. We have to learn on our own and from Bonesmart.
I'm only writing all this because I don't want anyone to go through the pain that I had.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Yes, I would be happy to answer questions.
Thank you to those who responded with encouragement!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom