TKR Feeling the pain

I am so impressed with your range of motion. I can't get past 60 degrees, which is depressing, when I read about people leaving the hospital at 90 degrees. I am so tight. My leg feels like a log! You must be doing something right.
 
Wow that is awesome progress for 1 week out. I for one am following your thread with great interest.
 
Just as an interesting note, my husband had right knee replaced 11 years ago, no ice machine, no mention of iceing. He regain range of motion of 125, extension 0. If I remember , I don’t think he even elevated. It just shows how different recoveries can be. I lived for my ice and elevation!
 
Post-op day 8

I am either the luckiest man in the world or have the best OS in the world. No pain meds since day 5. Followed the PT regimen as prescribed. Moved from walker to cane yesterday. I can actually move about the house unaided, but I do take the cane with me for safety.

My wife keeps saying no driving until follow-up visit in 3 weeks! What!!
Well, she had to be out for a couple of hours this morning. Told her I would be fine sitting in the recliner. Yeah right! Gave her 10 minutes to get out of town and out the door I went. Got in my car and headed for town. Loved the freedom. Went to McDonald’s for a egg biscuit. Stayed out about 30 minutes. Wonderful.

Back at home now. Will be sitting nicely in the recliner when she returns!
 
Wow! You sound like a fairy tale! What kind of implant do you have? Was it robotic assisted? It certainly sounds like amazing results you have!
 
Wow! You sound like a fairy tale! What kind of implant do you have? Was it robotic assisted? It certainly sounds like amazing results you have!

My PT just left my house a little while ago. She said she had never seen a patient on post-op day 8 doing as good as I am. She wanted to know the name of my OS! I told her it certainly wasn’t anything I have done, I just followed his guidelines: PT, elevate, rest. Repeat. Take meds as needed!

He was supposed to use titanium, however, I did not ask after the surgery to verify.

I just hope the fairy tale ride continues. I do know things can still go wrong!
 
I hope it continues, too!
 
You are the poster boy for the no ice approach so far. Are you able to stand and sit comfortably ,or are both painful. I know I could walk pretty pain free week one ,but it took till week 4to5 before I could sit and stand in one spot without it being uncomfortable.
 
I can sit all I want to. No problems. As far as standing, the most i have done at one time is 15-20 minutes. Usually in the shower and shaving afterwards. Once I start feeling discomfort, I will sit down. Never had it hurt enough to require pain meds! ( and I do NOT do pain well)
 
Post-op day 18

Still going nicely! Cane is gone! I do take it with me if gonna be walking on uneven pavement or grass.
Swelling mostly gone. Still light swelling around my ankle. (Along with some very black and blue toes). I still elevate a couple times per day. Walk quite a bit.

One minor backset. Staples came out on day 13. Incision looked good, however within 6 hrs. incision came open right in the middle of my knee. (about one inch long). Went to the OS. He checked it out and bandaged it. Said we would let it heal from the inside out. He told me to back off on the flexion exercises until incision is healed. Strange thing is, after staples were removed, I didn’t do any flexion, as I was worried about this. I still do most exercises, just not the ones that require me to bend more than 90 degrees. Still no pain whatsoever!
 
Update: 4 was. Post-op today

Walking on my own with no assistance. Little to no pain, nothing that 1000 mg of Tylenol won’t cure! Swelling is 90% gone. Will swell some if I’m up an around more than 2 hrs. at a time. Still doing the very basic exercises. Nothing strenuous. Still no icing and very little elevation.
 
You are doing well for being so early in your recovery and not icing and elevating!
 
Major backset! The open incision that I mentioned a couple of weeks agp got infected. I was having major pain from the infection. Back to surgery 3 days (Dec. 5th) ago to do a cleanout and restaple the knee. Back to square one! Knee seems stiffer now than it was after TKR. Only have about 70 degrees flexion. Of course it is bound up with about 3 times the size of bandage that I had with TKR.

What’s a man to do? I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired! Spending 16 hrs. per day in recliner and the other 8 in bed! I can recite every TV program on all 200 channels!
 
Post-op day 8

I am either the luckiest man in the world or have the best OS in the world. No pain meds since day 5. Followed the PT regimen as prescribed. Moved from walker to cane yesterday. I can actually move about the house unaided, but I do take the cane with me for safety.
YOU are AMAZING!!! what a recovery you are having! Enjoy it, don't take it for granted, but dang, sir, ENJOY it!!!
 
Only have about 70 degrees flexion.
Honey, you have to concern yourself with getting well, not that bend! Clearing up that infection and then healing your knee are the only things that you should be worrying about right now.

Please let us know how you're getting along. We care and have big shoulders for you to lean on!
 
Forget about ROM for now. Your knee is newly wounded again and it needs time and gentle treatment so it can heal - so do you.
Rest, ice and elevate your leg and take your pain meds on time.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom