THR Feeling great so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took one more trip downstairs, several walks between kitchen and living room , back upstairs for a good poop session, into bedroom to do my pt exercises again. Only been taking acetaminophen during the day today. I think that's enough for today
 
Well, up on day 5, feeling things I didn't feel before. Swelling down some and I think the surgery cocktail has worn off. Not really more painful,just feels weaker maybe. I can kind of feel where the new parts must be and it just feels weird, not so confident walking and standing as I was yesterday. I think maybe swelling gave a little extra support. On bright side no constipation:heehee:.
 
Not being constipated is a huge plus. I struggled while on dilaudid- fixed itself quickly.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
 
PT just left. I could do all exercises (except leg raises still can't do those but he gave me a new standing one which was a little easier) Getting around great. still on walker til he comes back on Tues. then hopefully to a cane. I'm only taking 1 500 mg acetaminophen every 6 hrs or so and it seems to do the job.:egypdance:Every day is better:yes!:
 
well, here it is day 8. Feeling great. tried switching to cane for a few walks to the kitchen. seemed to be no problem. Did PT exercises this morning and will try again this afternoon. Still have trouble with leg raises but can do the rest. only taking 1 500 mg tylenol every 6 hours and that seems to be working. only pain I seem to have is on the outside of my knee ( when I try leg raises ) everything else feels great. Won't try to rush with cane as I haven't really been cleared to use it by PT.(although surgeons instructions said transition when I feel like walker is slowing me down-Hmm..) I am kind of bummed about knee pain- wasn't expecting that.
 
Easy solution to pain on outside of knee when doing leg raises: don't do leg raises.
Seriously....not needed. PTs always tell us to do them. They always hurt. That's because there's a lot of mighty angry soft tissue being insulted. When you heal, you will be able to do leg raises painlessly. Of course then you won't need them either.
But now....just heal.

Sharon
 
I know, I know. If it hurts don't do it. But won't there be some pain with some of the exercises no matter what. I did venture out on the deck today so now have a longer(and prettier:flwrysmile:) pathway to walk. so I will walk more and skip the leg raises for now.
 
@gogreen Hi, been there done that and it feels great! Walking and doing light stuff is good as long as you know when to stop. When you do body weight exercises like leg lifts you actually add more micro-trauma to the soft tissue that was traumatized big time 8 days ago. Relax, enjoy the summer weather, it will be gone soon enough in Michigan. Keep on healing!!
 
Thanks, I will skip the PT today and just walk. THe weather has been really nice latelynso will try to get outside more today. My hubby wants to go out for breakfast (Father's Day) But I'm not sure I am up for that yet. Plus I guess I am a little vain. I was hoping to be off the walker before I went out in public. I will see how the knee feels after I have been up awhile.
 
Took a walk around the garden. Its a beautiful day here in TC. It was kind of hard with the walker but it was good too get out. May try a car ride later.
 
@gogreen
Enjoy the weather! I asked the PT why I needed to do knee lifts and she laughed and said don't do it! It's just to be able to take stairs so we don't need to lift so high anyways! My surgeon only scheduled PT for 3 weeks and it's really to help get around safely and then after that it's walking! That walker is hard to take out and about! Hang in there a few more days!
 
took a couple more walks around the garden, somebody really needs to pull some weeds. rode with my husband out to the cemetery to water flowers, had no trouble getting into and out of our minivan. did my PT exercises (except for leg raises) only once. Knee feels alot better today.
 
Oops, I think I overdid a little yesterday. My dad has been in hospital since day before my surgery. He has moderate dementia and aphasia so it has been hard on him. I had taken some heat for not visiting so I got my son to drive me. It was a long walk from parking lot (even with handicap parking permit) to his room. Plus walking halls for 2 hrs. with him. He was kind of agitated and likes to keep walking. Needless to say this morning a little stiff and a little swollen. Hope everything loosens up by time PT gets here at 9:30. It was encouraging to know that I was able to do it. been practicing with cane around the house. Hope to get the ok to ditch the walker and use cane full time.
 
Goodness! Taking heat for not visiting your father? I've been home one week, and I haven't taken this freak show outside, much less away from home! Walking for two hours is above and beyond!

Take it easy today. One day of activity, one day of rest.....
 
@gogreen hook up to those awesome frozen eggs today! My hubby calls the cryomax bags egg cartons. :) take care of you today.
 
But won't there be some pain with some of the exercises no matter what.
Short answer - no! PT should never hurt. Sure, muscles may complain a bit as they are now being asked to work much harder. But there should be no pain during PT.

Glad you are taking a break from leg raises. I never understand why PT insist on this exercise post THR. All that is accomplished is a frustrated new hippie as most everyone can not do these early out!
 
That dang bag is awesome. My back is hurting so I strapped it on for hours yesterday. Good find!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom