Guest viewing is limited

THR Feb 21st is the day...soon moving to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT is a little brutal, but necessary to strengthen my muscles and get back to driving/work as soon as I can. I will do the best I can. :)
 
@bamagirl you are doing really well in your recovery. You're both candid and encouraging on your recovery journey. WELL DONE! Five more days and I'll be there too.
 
I'm almost to the point now where I can say my left hip hurts worse than my right! My right leg is obviously still weak, but that dang constant pain is gone. Thank you Lord! I'm amazed at how far this surgery has come. Sure it is brutal - heck they cut a big bone out of your body and shove titanium into your femur - but the recovery is surprisingly fast. I can't wait to get the other hip done and get on with my life. I was just telling my daughter this morning that we are going to start doing some more fun things together like summer vacations and such. I'm so looking forward to it. I'm glad my daughter is still young so that she won't even remember mommy crying with "hurt legs". She even told me this morning that mommy isn't crying anymore when I got up from a chair. It used to be excruciating.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Feb 21st is the day...soon moving to the other side
@bamagirl. So good to hear that things are so much better that even your daughter sees a big difference in mom and how she feels. Get that second one done, and there'll be so stopping you!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
What a lovely observation and comment from your daughter @bamagirl - out of the mouth of babes, as they say!

So pleased you are well on the road to recovery with hip #1 do you have a date for hip #2?
 
Glad you are doing well! When I hear you say that the pain is already better than pre op, that takes away a bit of the fear of surgery. I am still hesitant to promise vacations to my daughter... I know it will be possible, but something keeps me from making those promises. Hopefully I will be as confident as you so soon after surgery. God Bless!
 
Hey Bamagirl, it sounds as if you're doing really well. I am 7 weeks now. I had to wear Teds for 6 weeks all the time. I needed help to get the operated leg one off, but could put them on myself using a sock aid. I stopped wearing them after about 5 1/2 weeks- I as sick other by then.
It is good you are icing. I should gave done more in the beginning. You will find you can do a little more each day but don't push. Slowly slowly catchy monkey...;-)
Have a good day
 
@Poppet My next hip will be done in April. Probably the third Friday of the month since that is when my surgeon does surgeries at our local hospital. I will know for sure next time I see him I think. I have my first follow up visit next week on the 5th.
 
Sound like you are doing well @bamagirl ! PT should not be brutal! Please don't allow anyone to push you. Slow and steady. Hips really don't need lots of PT.
 
I'm still getting better slowly. Been a week now since surgery and my hip feels pretty good. It is my left one now that bothers me more! LOL. I'm still taking my pain meds around the clock to stay ahead of pain: tramadol and ibuprofen. I can tell at about 6 hrs since my last dose, the pain starts to increase, but nothing too bad. My muscles are getting stronger every day doing the PT exercises. I'm not doing too much. I do them a little at a time. There are a few that are more difficult than the others, but my range of motion is improving every day. :happydance:
 
Hi @bamagirl !
So glad you are doing so well! :)
I noticed you said your other hip hurts worse now. My "good" hip hurts worse than my bad hip. I can't even step up onto stair with it now. I have always wondered how I will do pt and climb stairs after surgery if I still have one painful hip. Do they have you doing pt exercises on both hips or just operated hip? How do you do stairs? Thanks!
 
@younghippie PT has me doing the same exercises on both hips - as many as I can - so that it is as strong as can be before surgery. It isn't easy. I haven't had to do stairs simply because I don't need to. We have none at our house or at work. Sorry I can't help you there.
 
That is good to know. Thanks! You are lucky that you have no stairs to contend with! :dancy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling good today. My DH went back to work and I was able to get my daughter ready for preschool this morning. My dad came by and took her to school since I can't drive yet. I discovered this morning that I can walk without a walker or cane if I want to! I'm not going to give them up yet though until PT comes to see me tomorrow. I'm getting stronger every day. I'm hoping by next week to go back to work part time. We'll see what the doctor says Wednesday when I get my staples out. :happydance:
 
I'm so glad you are doing so well. it is so encouraging. April can't come soon enough. Thanks for sharing Sue
 
Wow! That made my day to read that you could help your daughter get ready. That is amazing that you are doing so well in such a short period of time. I am feeling super positive about my upcoming THR after reading your post. Thanks for keeping us updated! :)
 
PT came today and said I can work on walking with just a cane. I get more sore without the walker but am going to work my way to using a cane, at least at home. I doubt I will be able to go without some support since my left hip still needs to be replaced. Once that is done in April I will be happy. My hope is to return to work perhaps part time next week. Start with a few hours and work my way up. I need to be able to drive. I will speak to the doctor about that tomorrow. I get my staples out then.
 
Bamagirl,

Hi, my recovery is similar to yours. I had a LTHR on the 20th Feb. I have been doing PT and hydrotherapy daily, gone through the processes of walker, 2 crutches, 1 crutch, and now cane and am surprise how quick everything has been. I'm 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I've also discovered I can walk without a cane quite competently (but still limping) but will still be using my cane for a good few more weeks.

Happy Healing
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom