Guest viewing is limited

Extreme pain 5 month post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Im so glad you got the meds from your primary care dr! Great news! While I completely understand your inability to switch OS now, I think its time for you to do 2 things. First...start researching for a replacement and set up an appt the second you can switch, and second, you must tell him to STOP when it hurts,. You have every right to refuse his treatment. Same goes for the PT. while she feels she must follow his instructions, she cannot do thing to hurt you if yoy say no. The session should push you but not past the point where its in the leastbit painful. Regarding the MUA....I wkuldnt give it another thought. You have every right to refuse it!!! Your ROM is good!!! There isnt a time limit to get more. But honestly...it Is GOOD!!! And...it will continue on its own to get better...more than likely after they stop assaulting you and increasing the inflammation!
 
I know many of you have said to find another doctor but I just can't afford to do that. My insurance will only cover who the approved & original surgeon is. His fee covers me for the first three months then after that if I'm still not happy with him, I will have more freedom to look for another.

Thank you for clearing this up... All I could think of while I was reading through your thread was... WHY DOESN'T SHE SWITCH DOCTORS, HE'S AN A$#@%#^*! :gaah: Waddle Waddle, QUACK QUACK! :rotfl:
Sounds like he has a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD case of the God Complex, only thing he's gone in the opposite direction with his complex. Yikes! :yikes:

I will be hoping and praying with you to find a physician who knows what it means to provide "care" for his patients. As for your P/T, tell her when it hurts and if she doesn't listen, try cancelling a session and see if she gets the point. :hissy: Trust me, you will not miss out on any improvement in your recovery if she has decided to follow your sadistic Dr's advice.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO glad your GP felt your pain and did what any humane physician would do. Thank God for her. :angel: Like LMarshall said, START LOOKING FOR A OS NOW! Maybe there's someone on this site in your area that has a good physician, or knows of one. :beg:

Right now, sounds like you can use a Kneecation! :martini: Take a day or two where you just rest, ice and elevate... Oh and take your new meds.:egypdance: You'll thank me later. :yes:



Wishing you the best recovery possible! :console2:
 
Sorry @muddypaws I'm having trouble posting today! Could you tell me where Dr. Fisk is located? Is his office in Boston or closer to us? You can PM me if you prefer.
 
Hi, Laura, I haven't been on here in several weeks and just read all your updates. So sorry you've been dealing with that horrifying treatment from that _______ of a doctor!!! How are you doing?

Somewhere upthread you asked if people were at the point where they noticed a difference, felt it was worth it, etc. My LTKR was exactly one week after yours. I've been walking painlessly and easily for about two weeks and I feel like that was my point. In the supermarket this morning I got thinking about the weeks and months before the surgery when I dreaded shopping because every step hurt, standing in line was exhausting, etc. I still get tired easily, but every week I get more energy back, and walking doesn't hurt now!

I have a terrific OS and physical therapist, so I've been lucky. They say I need to get to 120, but that there is no deadline or timeline, and they both believe I'll get there eventually.

I hope all's well with you! - Diane in Maine
 
I'm at three months and get to 110 with pt pushing the knee. You are doing better than expected.
 
Laura, I cannot believe your Dr. Hurt you!!! Jeez , a little sympathy would be really nice. I went in for my 6 week posy op & my OS barely discussed my rom. I stopped PT, after about 2-3 weeks because I was having horrible shin pain. Have to say , got better after stopping therapy . Don't know what my ROM is, but honestly don't care :) I feel I can do bending, walking stairs and am not limping & this is good enough for me. Josephine said once you start back to work, let that be your therapy. I listened to her & she was so right !!
This is my 3rd replacement on the same knee in 4 years,and have followed the bonesmart advice more then I ever did. The difference is incredible. I ice, elevate , take pain meds & do nothing else, especially if I am uncomfortable . I am now 9 weeks out & am beginning to see that light at the end of the tunnel. May be a while yet, but that's ok. This is one very long journey, but I have found peace with that after going through so much. I am not doing this again, third time should be enough, but realize that there is a lot to do to help my outcome.
Listen to the advise on here, it is so helpful and let the knee heal in its own time. You will be glad you did :))
Most important, find a doctor that listens to you & is willing to help. Don't settle for anything less.
 
Hey Laura,
Did you end up making an appt with any of those Dr's I gave you? Dr Fitz is in Brookline on Rt 9.

I hope you don't have to go for a MUA. Honestly your not that far out and I bet with the pain meds you'll be able to work it even more without being in pain, hence gaining more ROM. I wonder if swimming would help you move it a bit more. Is there a place near you? i would dearly love to get back to swimming because I can work my knee without a ton of pain. Your Doctor still sounds like an uncaring Jerk!

I am just about six weeks out ,am walking without my cane and have been driving since 4 weeks. I am seriously thinking of ditching the PT because it does seem to make my knee much more angry. I have full range of motion so why do I have to go? I would recommend my Dr ALL day long! He truly understands the Bone Smart way.
 
wow I have just read all 5 pages and just reading what the doctors and OT have done to you, my knee was throbbing just thinking about it....I am stunned because I am at 5 weeks tomorrow and my bend in my knee is pathetic ! Yours is fantastic !! And like you I am cringing about having to see my surgeon the following Friday..I know my physio has already mentioned my surgeon will not be happy with the bend in my knee ( or in my case..lack of! ) and I am freaking out about that ...my pain threshold is not good luckily my physio has been lovely and gentle with me.....I hope the surgeon will be the same.............

take care X :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while - life has been extremely busy and we had company every weekend in Sept. muddy paws I did call all the doctors you suggested and your doctor was the only one who accepted my insurance but he was the one I was hoping for anyway! However, I couldn't get an appointment with him until the middle of December so I didn't do it.

When I went for my last doctor appt, he was very encouraging and happy (finally). He didn't even mention MUA! I didn't get quite to 120 degrees but he said that I was just about there so he felt I had a huge break through. Actually I think it was the pain meds that help but I didn't tell him that. The meds do help tremendously and I only take them for therapy and dr visits. My PT can get me to 114 degrees without me barely moaning so I know I am improving and have been very encouraged! I can even ride my recumbent bike now without using any pillows and go all the way around both ways! I walk up steps normally and have been started walking down steps normally. I still have some days of mild pain after therapy but icing and elevation always takes care of that.

I see my dr again this Friday and am hoping for even better results and a longer period of time between visits. It seems that his measurements are always more than my PT which is a good thing for me! I must say that I actually enjoy my therapy sessions which probably sounds strange but I really feel as though they are helping and my therapist is awesome!

This Thursday marks 3 months from my surgery date! The last 2-3 weeks have been great for me and I'm really beginning to see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel!

If I get to the point of needing my other knee replaced I will definitely be changing doctors and know exactly what to look for and questions to ask as soon as I call. Since I feel as though I'm through the worst of it, I'm going to try and stick it out where I am for now.

I will check back again after my visit Friday and update! Thanks again for all your support and encouragement. This site has been a real blessing to me!

Laura
 
Hi everyone!
As of last Thursday, I am now 3 months post op! I must say that I feel so much better although I still have some stiffness and soreness especially after PT at times. Yesterday I had my first pool therapy session and I loved it! It was so awesome and I felt like I could have stayed in the water all day just exercising my knee (and believe me, I am not a water person)! I will continue with pool therapy once a week for several weeks (as long as my ins approves it)! @Muddy I tried to find a gym or someplace around me that has a pool that I could use, but they are few and far between and then very expensive but I will keep searching since I see the difference it can make!

I saw my OS yesterday also. He seemed to have a totally different attitude with me. I'm not sure if he realized that he was pushing me too hard or if he figures I'm not going to do what he wants and is just being kind. Again he even asked me if he was hurting me and if I was ok. At any rate, he did measure me but without much pushing at all! Basically he went a little farther than what my knee wanted to go but I wasn't screaming in the least. In fact, while measuring, my foot slipped twice which loosened the flexion but he didn't even try to push it again. He got me to about 115 degrees which is where my PT gets me with pushing but not a whole lot of pain. He just told me to keep working on it and that he didn't need to see me for 3 months!! Hallelujah that was music to my ears!!!! He didn't even charge me the co-pay for the visit which technically he should have.

I've decided to continue with PT as long as my ins will allow me because I do believe it is helping me and I love my therapist! She is giving me new exercises and machines to use but if I tell her I was in a lot of pain after the last visit, she holds off on the new things. She pushes me somewhat when measuring me but only as much as I will allow her to and often I tell her to go farther! I had been stuck at 105 degrees for the longest time, but for the past 2 weeks have consistently been around 114! I really am encouraged and happy! I have a goal that I want to be able to ride a bicycle (hoping to get one for Christmas) by next Spring. I have a recumbent bike at home which I use daily.

I will continue to follow this site. I love all the support, encouragement, and help I receive and love to follow the journeys of all our bionic knees!

Sorry that I've rambled!
 
That's GREAT NEWS!!! Glad your doctor finally didn't hurt you and you had a good visit with him. By the next time you'll see him you'll be a swimming, biking superstar!

You live in Groton, Correct? I will be going back to my pool at the Westford Regency as soon as I am able. actually in another week I should be able to get back in the pool. I am almost 7 weeks out and the tiny scab that was on my knee finally fell off, so I'm feeling like the incision is now closed. I wonder if that pool would be to far away for you? Heck, I'll meet you there! :)

I think if you love your physical therapy person you should stay as long as you can. Why not get all you can out PT ? :ok:
 
muddy paws Yes, I live in Groton and the Westford Regency is only about 15-20 minutes from me!! Is their pool open for those of us who want to exercise in it or do we sign up for a class, how does it work there? I never would have thought about contacting a hotel; thanks for the suggestion and I look forward to hearing back from you! BTW, I don't really swim but I could do what I've done with my therapist and I'm sure it would be greatly beneficial! And having a friend with me would be double great!
 
You actually have to join the Regency. It's not super expensive and you can use the pool, the gym, the sauna, the steam room and of course showers. You can join for 3 months, 6 months or a full year. Of course you might want o go and see the place for yourself so you can decide.

The good thing about the pool is it's not over 5' deep. So I go and walk/ run,skip swim, whatever. I usually go during the day and it's not crowded. The bad thing about that pool is you will need to be able to climb a ladder although I think they do have a lift if needed.

So go and take a quick tour and see what you think. :)
 
I will be gone for a week out of town but as soon as I get back, I will definitely look into the Regency! Thanks for the info!
 
No problem! Hope it works out for you. I'm ditching my PT sessions and joining the gym again. Hope to see you there
 
No problem! Hope it works out for you. I'm ditching my PT sessions and joining the gym again. Hope to see you there

Muddy Paws, I'd love to chat with you. I believe we might have the same surgeon or practice anyway and I'm going in for my 9th surgery January 6th on my left knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom