Extreme pain 5 month post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Lalyfa,
I feel your pain! I am only 6 days out from having my RTKR and while it hurts and I am impatient, I'm trying to learn from all the great people on this site. It does sound like you might need to rest your knee more a bit more, I'm sure your company will understand and probably will help you. I had to have my stepdaughter, who is visiting from Italy with my two grand-babies, stay with her mother for the month she is here. She ALWAYS spends the month with us because she loves how relaxed our house is, but I just didn't think I could cope with having two little kids, her, her husband and all of her friends here while recouping? This was a huge disappointment for us but the knee dictates it.

After reading your thread, I hope you changed your OS! I can't believe the pain he has put you thru! :gaah: . Barbaric!!

Might I ask you who you are using for your PT? I live very close to Groton and am looking for a good place to go for the out of the home PT.

I hope this day finds you pain free and happy.


Jen


RTKR. 8/26/13
Meniscus/MCL repair. 3/12/13
 
muddy paws I am going to Nashoba Valley Medical Center for therapy and love my therapist! Her name is Heather! She is so wonderful and I actually look forward to my visits with her. She will only push me as far as I allow her to and constantly asks if I'm okay or in pain. I am curious as to who your OS is since you mentioned that you live close to me? I plan on having a talk with my current OS at my next visit about his aggressive techniques and let him know that I will not tolerate it any longer. I will see what happens then. Thanks for replying to my post!
 
Great to know! Think I will have to look into them and her. Not there yet of course since I am only a few days out. I think my in home girl is going to Be a bear. We shall see this week

I went into Boston for mine. I stayed at the Faulkner ( Brigham and women's) hospital and had Dr Fitz do it. I had great stay at the hospital with a private room, great food and my night nurse was to die for. The day nurse left a bit to be desired. Dr Fitz was FANTASTIC . He has the whole Bonesmart mantra. Don't do much except heel slides, quad strengthening, butt clenching, for the first couple of weeks and ice, rest , elevate as much as possible. His motto is NEVER let the PT people hurt you! Uncomfortable - yes, painful- heck NO! He stood at the end of my bed and said don't be a hero, pain doesn't necessarily mean range of motion. It'll come with time.

That's why I can't imagine the pain you must have endured when your OS did that to you! Yikes and ouch!!!!! Would love to know where you went.
 
muddy paws I had my surgery done at Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer, MA. Small hospital but it was great! I too had my own room and my nurses were the best I've ever had - especially my night nurse - sweet coincidence :) I did so well all the nurses fought over having me each day because I did what I was told and didn't bother anyone unless needed.

I like the sound of your doctor! I am going to look into seeing if he is with my insurance company in case things don't go well with my next doctor appt.
 
When I am having pain is there a way to know if it's from doing too much, or too much exercising/stretching, or just from the weather? Our weather has been extremely humid and damp/rainy for the last 4-5 days. I had therapy last Thursday, went shopping Friday, I know I did too much Saturday (mentioned in a post above), church & cooking Sunday but did sit a lot. I've been very stiff and much pain since Saturday morning (some stiffness/soreness Friday). I haven't done any exercising since Saturday am because I was afraid it would make things worse. Haven't slept much Saturday or Sunday night. I'm just confused over whether it could be the weather affecting my knee or is it the therapy/exercising? Even my right knee (good knee) has been hurting a lot. I'm trying to find a balance on when to push through the pain (if ever) and when and for how long to rest my knee.

Thanks for any input!
 
I am also going to contact my primary care doctor about the pain meds as suggested.
Definitely do that! Vicodin is NOT enough if you're in pain. I take 4-5 day for pre-op pain and certainly expect to be taking something stronger for quite some time after surgery if needed.

All I can say is, I'm so glad you found Bonesmart because I can't imagine going thru such a horrible recovery without the support of the good folks here.

I'm sending my fervent wishes that things get better for you really soon!:flwrysmile:
 
I had a good day at the therapist yesterday! Actually it started with me crying due to the pain and discouragement I've had but my therapist was awesome and let me cry and listened sympathetically. I then told her I didn't want to do one of the machines because I felt that was the one giving me most of my post-therapy pain. She had no problem with that. Gave me some new exercises and stretches and spent time massaging the tissues around my knee which felt so good! I have some soreness today but nothing like in the past and I actually feel like a new person! My flexion has decreased but I know that's due to the pain.

I did call my OS and ask for pain meds just for therapy and the day after pain but I guess he's not going to let me have any since I haven't heard back from him. This upsets me when I think of all the people who get them for the slightest ailment and I really need them but can't get any. Now definitely going to try my primary care doctor!
 
I had my surgery the week before you and have had a very good experience with physical therapy. One day when I told them I had back pain they substituted another exercise for one they thought might aggravate the back. They have never done anything that hurts me. They really use the team approach. Although it is often hard, I always leave feeling better. My doctor has not given me any trouble about renewing my Percocet prescription. I have cut way down but still need them after PT. I manage on Tylenol before the PT. I do not understand why you cannot get what you need. It is too early for to have to deal with so much pain. I woke up at 2:00 a.m. Today and had to take a pain tablet. Otherwise, I would have not been able to get back to sleep. I am wondering if your request is making its way to the doctor?
 
Sounds like a great PT appointment. Good for you for speaking up about the machine. I'm sure resting a bit on the weekend helped too.
 
I am just curious about this and wonder if anyone here knows the answer? I'm sure someone does! What causes my knee to remain hot and how long does it last? It's not a problem, I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason.
 
I am eight weeks and mine is warm but no longer hot. I think this has been addressed somewhere on this board but do not remember reason given. You are like me, curious!
 
Just found this on the internet:
The warmth comes from your body’s reacting to and adjusting to the new components and also to the surgery itself. One of the best gauges you’ll have for knowing when the warmth should go away is when the scar completely fades to the color of your skin.

Which brings me to another question - approximately how long does it take for the scar to fade to the color of the skin? At 2 months post op mine is still very red (which I'm sure is quite normal). I do put Vitamin E. Again I'm just curious!
 
I started using Mederma, but honestly I cant see the scar fading to skin color for quite some time.
 
The knee I had done in June has a pretty red scar, but the one I just had done Aug. 6th doesn't look as bad at all. They're the same size, done by the same doctor, etc, but look completely different. Strange.....
 
@Piney that's interesting that you already are happy that you had the surgery. I am 2 months post op and at this point see know difference from how I felt prior to surgery. I sure hop I get to that point though! How soon after surgery did you feel and difference and feel it was worth it?
 
Tomorrow (Tuesday) is the 2 month point from tkr. I am celebrating by seeing my doctor :tantrum: and going to PT! Will post how my 'big' day turns out.
 
Lalyfa,
As I recall you had some pretty traumatic experiences with your Surgeon and his manipulation of your leg. It's no wonder you are still feeling it's been a negative experience!
My knee was so bad prior to surgery that I was falling down at times....and, oh, the pain!
As soon as they had me up and walking at the hospital I could tell I was better. My entire leg remained numb for about 24 hours after surgery. My pain was always well controlled and the pain I did have was so different compared to what I had before, and best of all...no buckling and collapsing on me. I still say it's a roller coaster ride with up and down days and even minutes! Some new issue seems to pop up out of the blue, a new area of pain, a new spot of swelling BUT this is a pain that is slowly improving, whereas the pre-op pain was a pain that was only getting worse. I have a lot to look forward to ..... and so do you. It's coming...we will just hang in there for it....together. :)
 
Just a little info about my 2 month follow up with the OS today. I was in a lot of pain today because yesterday I went to an outside mall with my daughter and we walked around for 3 hours - Ouch!! I did take rests here and there but once I got in the car and sat for the 25 minute ride home, I could hardly move to get out of the car! Pain was shooting everywhere from my knee and I knew that I had way over done it! I had 3 vicodin left that I was saving for a severe pain day so I took one before bed, then 2 an hour before my doctor appt. It helped tremendously and I felt like a new woman!
I had x rays then my doctor did his usual torture treatment bending the knee. He actually measured my ROM which was at 107. About a month ago, I was measured by the home therapist at 115. I explained to him that was while I had the pain meds and I wasn't nearly as stiff and hurting so I could do more. He was not happy, called my therapist while I was there to tell her that she had to treat me more aggressively. He told me if I'm not at 120 in two weeks, he's going to talk about MUA but doesn't want to do that. Well, ya duh, neither do I!!! A part of me feels he is doing this to push me into doing more. He gave me his big speech again on how important it is to gain the ROM back soon and that my x rays were perfect so there's no reason why I can't gain it back. I then asked him again about pain meds but he won't give in. I told him that I spend many days in tears due to the pain. He said that the first several months are the most painful and I have to work through the pain.
Then I had PT and I could feel and see the sympathy from the therapist but I understand she must do what the doctor says or her job is at stake. She did push me somewhat to the 'almost screaming' stage a few times but I seemed to be able to handle it better with her. Basically we had a good session but told me to work aggressively at home so we can get this nipped in the bud!
So I called my primary doctor, spoke to her nurse, and explained the situation about the pain meds. As nicely as I could I asked if the doctor would give me a prescription for something mainly for another month of therapy and any bad days. I honestly didn't think she would and I was so afraid that she would call the OS. But she did agree to give me a prescription and I am again one happy camper! At least I know that when I am in a lot of pain, I can get some relief.
So I feel as though I can work through these next couple weeks with some sanity and hopefully will gain the flexion to where he wants it to be.
I know many of you have said to find another doctor but I just can't afford to do that. My insurance will only cover who the approved & original surgeon is. His fee covers me for the first three months then after that if I'm still not happy with him, I will have more freedom to look for another.
Thanks again for allowing me to rant!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom