Hip Infection Excellent recovery until it wasn't

@919THR Everything crossed that your results are good tomorrow! Please keep us updated!
 
:fingersx::fingersx: double fingers crossed.
You have certainly been on my mind!
I'm sure you are hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, as you should be...there are no guarantees.
I'm hopeful, and sending all the best mojo your way!:roseshwr:
 
Hi @919THR
Wishing you the best. Prayers your blood work shows you can move forward.
Please stay in touch and let us know what you hear.
Wishing you a peaceful week.
 
Thanks for the update....I've been wondering about the "Saga of 919THR". :shrug:

I hope the results are positive tomorrow.....it's time for you to have some good news and smooth sailing. :)

And if they aren't, clearly you will make the best of that too, just as you have been all along! Keep us posted.
 
Thanks for everyone's comments. Well I got bad news. Inflammatory markers/CRP levels are elevated again per my last bloodwork, so my surgeon believes its likely I have an infection again. He also thinks is likely the same infection as before, because that's usually how it works and the pseudomonas I have is particularly hard to get rid of. His guess is that the IV antibiotics I took suppressed the bacteria but it wasn't eradicated. I'm getting an aspiration to draw fluid to see if they can identify what bacteria is there. Next step is another revision surgery. The process continues. In the meantime I have ordered my medical records and I'm going to try to get a second and/or third opinion to see if I learn anything new.

My pain is no worse right now. It's most painful standing up after sitting down, can be a 7 then. I take meloxicam (a 24 hr. presciption anti-inflammatory) and acetaminophen as needed throughout the day.
 
I'm sorry to read this news and that you are facing an aspiration and another revision.
I think a second opinion would be wise at this point. Please stay in touch and update us when you're able.
We're here to offer support and encouragement. Wishing you comfort and peace as you're moving through this setback.
@919THR
 
Oh no...I, too, hate to hear that you are still fighting infection!:sad:
I do so hope they can get this identified and eradicated very soon.
Will be thinking of you...
 
Oh @919THR this is not good news at this point of the journey ... it is trying enough as it is without hiccups along the way.

I do hope my markers are still down when I get my pre-ops as I will not be a happy bunny, especially since I appear to have had a tummy bug the past couple of days. These things are sent to try us ... and they do!

I hope a resolution is found soon.
 
@919THR So sorry to hear you have to deal with more of this infection. I agree - a second opinion might be good. Please keep us updated.
 
@ 919THR I am so sorry to read this, it has happened to me before and it is heartbreaking, keep strong and keep well both ment ally and physically it os the only thing we can do for ourselves, thinking of youxx
 
@919THR :wave:
Been thinking of you and hoping things are turning around for you.
I know this has been a struggle but we do care and are still sending healing vibes your way!:yes:
 
Hello bonesmart peeps. It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to update so that people who come to this site in the future may benefit from the knowledge of my experience. So my last post was 2/14/19 when my bloodwork showed elevated CRP levels indicating that is was likely I had an infection again. Well we did an aspiration and no fluid was able to be drawn for testing. I scheduled a surgery with my surgeon for 3/25/19. I tried to consider a second opinion but I was concerned with how long it might take to get scheduled and I didn't want to let the infection brew. So in the end I had my second revision surgery on 3/25/19 (third surgery since 10/2/18) at Duke University hospital.

For this second revision, the surgeon decided to remove by articulating spacer and replace it with a static spacer. With the static space my femur is no longer connected to my hip. They just fill up the hip socket with with a cement glob and fill my hollowed out femur with cement. It definitely feels weird post surgery and my left operated leg is noticeably shorter than my right leg. The third surgery went off without a hitch thankfully. The cultures they drew from the surgery showed the same bacteria, pseudomonas. The ID doctors decided to put me on cefepime again, so right now I have a PICC line again for six weeks just like after my 2nd surgery/revision. Just finishing up my 3rd week of PICC line cefepime now. My CRP levels were already normal after 2 weeks of antibiotics so that is good news. My biggest complaint/issue right now is fatigue. I think like @Fractured this can be attributed to the antibiotics. I was very tired when I had my PICC line before. But this time its worse, probably due to my body being weaker after successive surgeries. It takes everything I have sometime just to move around my house on the crutches. I have been on crutches now for four months. The difference now after my third surgery is that I cannot bear any weight on my operated leg. The doctors get my bloodwork weekly so I guess medically I'm ok even though the fatigue sometimes makes me wonder. I think I will contact the ID doctors next week and see if they can provide some kind of supplement to help me not be so tired. Fortunately I rented a reclining lift chair and I just sit in it all day. I plan to also get myself a wheelchair next week so I can move around outside the house a little better, allow myself the possibility of going places and wheeling around.

From here I need to stay infection free and then hopefully I can get a permanent hip replacement surgery in late June 2019 earliest and best case scenario.
 
Oh boy! You have really been through it and then some! I can only wish you luck and emotional support as I have not dealt with anything close to what you have other than the long term restrictions on my life. I will be keeping you in my thoughts for good blood work every week!
:flwrysmile:
 
@919THR so pleased to hear from you. This Revision seems complicated and not very pleasant ... but if it works! The best news is that you are free of infection, which is what all of us in this unique 'club' can dream of and hope for.

I hope this recovery goes well and you can become reasonably mobile in the interim.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and please keep in touch and let us know how you go,.
 
Last edited:
:wave:
I was glad to see you on the forum but hate to hear how you sound shook when down.
I'm glad the antibiotics are working well though.
I hope you get your wheelchair soon as some nice NC spring sunshine would be great Vitamin D therapy.
:fingersx::fingersx: crossed they can get this surgery done in a few months.
It's been a long row to hoe.
Sending best wishes and prayers for continued healing.:praying:
 
Thinking of you and hoping for the best outcome.
 
Last edited:
Hey @919THR - I've been wondering how you've been getting along lately. I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this. I'll be praying for you and that this all gets resolved so you can get back to doing the things you enjoy.

I had the last hip surgery at Duke - actually Duke Regional Hospital. I think that's the only hospital where my surgeon works (at least they didn't give me a choice). He has office visits in multiple locations though (I try to go to Page Road as it's closer to me).

But I won't get into talking about "the shoe" and the rest of the basketball season!
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom