Hip Infection Excellent recovery until it wasn't

@919THR So glad its getting nearer, it will feel better when it is out, thinking of you we crazy bug ridden bodies, there are a few of us suffering with this--but, there will be light round the cornerxxx it will all come good but, we do need patience!!xx
 
919THR, I wish you much return-to-health as you undergo these next round of treatments. You've been dealt a tough go but one can easily tell by your postings you possess an indomitable perserverence!! I think we all collectively know THR are a **** shoot when it comes to the timing/success of full recovery. Will be thinking of you on Dec 6. There's only one way....forward! Be well.
 
Thanks for all the sharing on here.
I wondered what ODIC stood for and now i know.
Am just over three weeks out,doing ok mostly but will heed advice as dont want to end up in OCID
:bignono:
 
Good luck w your spacer surgery. Been there done that one! It can be rough at times as the spacers seem to make the leg feel as if it has a life of its own movement wise. Hopefully as clodaghcov and I both have, you will manage getting around ok w crutches or a walker depending if you can do partial weight bearing. There is light at the end of the tunnel. As far as your infection being resistant to antibiotics, I was one of the really rare ones that they couldn’t grow anything in culture yet I was loaded w pus inside the bone. They ended up using 5 different antibiotics but so far so good. I’ll be praying for you.
 
Out of surgery today. Took six hours. Surgeon told my wife it took an hour (much longer than anticipated) just to get the cup of the implant dialodged. Wow!! :shocked:
 
Wow is right! 6 hours...that must have been one stubborn cup.

Probably had your poor wife a nervous wreck, and you of course slept through it.
Hope your pain is managed and you are doing okay!

Healing wishes coming your way!:yes:
 
So my surgeon told me that it took three tries today get the spacer to stay in place. The first two attempts would not stay in place. So he had to use a more basic cement spacer versus a better articulating one like he had planned. Since I have so much dislocation risk in his opinion he is only allowing 30% weight-bearing on it for the foreseeable future. And wants me to wear a stabilizing brace around my waist and try to keep my leg from rotating in. Surgeon said there was a great deal of pus and infected fluid in my hip area.

Will probably be in the hospital until Tuesday so a total of five days, because infectious doctors are not working much over the weekend. One good thing is that I have has very little exceptional pain post surgery. Down to hydrocodone every six hours.
 
Glad you are out of the severe pain.
They will be able to keep you more comfortable, I'm guessing for your little longer stay and to get you up and mobile safely.
Praying all stays stable...and that the healing can begin in earnest.
Sending you good mojo!:ok:
 
@919THR Well all that pus is far better out, it will be scrupiously clean to let the antibs do their job, so glad there is not too much pain and discomfort. Let the healing begin.xx
 
Wow, it sounds like your surgeon had his work cut out once he was in.
Wishing you the best with weight bearing restrictions and hope your recovery goes well.
A great Sunday to you!
@919THR
 
Wow rough surgery! Glad they got all that gunk out and the spacer in. I had a two piece spacer vs the one piece and it did the job just fine so I’m sure yours will work ok. Great that the major pain is gone...those bone infections hurt like hell don’t they? Here’s hoping your Sunday is peaceful.
 
Wow yes! Don’t overdo or you will pay for it in pain. At about 4 weeks out I managed to catch the toe of my operated leg on the floor while practicing walking and it twisted the whole leg inward. Big step backwards...had so much pain and muscle spasms it basically had me chairbound. Learned the hard way not to push it when tired. Ice and elevation are our friends.
 
@919THR So sorry to read about the marathon surgery, but so glad all that nasty pus is out, and the antibiotics can now do their job. Wishing you comfort as the healing begins.
 
Well I'm three weeks out from my revision surgery and I have good news. At the two week mark I had my staples taken out and the my surgeon noted that my surgical incision was completely shut and looked infection free. At the week three mark, just yesterday, the infectious disease doctors said my last two weeks blood work show know sign of infection. So hopefully the infection is gone and will stay gone. I have three more weeks of cefepime to do through my picc line. My surgeon is restricting me to 30% weight bearing so I always use crutches. That is limiting, but fortunately I am pain free and have needed no pain meds (otc or rx) two weeks post surgery.
 
Wonderful update! The latest news has to be reassuring. I'm happy for you.
Thankfully you're pain free also. Things are looking up! :happydance:
I hope you have a nice weekend. :)
@919THR
 
:yes!: let's have a Happy Healthy 2019:cheers2:
 
Great news. Hopefully you will now have a straightforward recovery...
 
Hi @919THR :wave:
Just wondering how you were and hoping all is well...
Please do give us an update when possible!
 
Hello @Mojo333. Funny you should ask for an update. Big day for me tomorrow. I get bloodwork results back tomorrow to determine if my inflammatory markers are up again or if they remain normal and I can schedule my next replacement surgery. I finished my 6 week picc line of antibiotics on Jan 14 and my last blood work on 1/24/19 was normal. I was doing fine with my antibiotic spacer. No pain, just slow moving around on crutches. However I had glute muscle pain start around 1/31/19 that just got progressively worse. My revision surgery was 12/6/18 so I was getting to the point where I could start thinking about scheduling a replacement surgery for early March. So I went to see my revision surgeon Friday 2/8/19 about this glute pain and he's concerned the infection may have returned. He is particularly fearful of my infection because it was polymorphic (two infections, Propionibacterium and Psedumonas ) and Psedumonas is particularly virulent/hard to get rid of. Only blood work will tell.

Of course I'm hopeful the infection hasn't returned. My hope is dictated by the fact that this pain only occurs when I use the muscle and when I'm still it doesn't hurt. Even while sitting on the muscle it hurts. Laying down and standing up it doesn't hurt, but getting up from sitting or laying down is a pain in the a##. My last infection pain hurt when I was sitting still and resting and I felt the pain deep in my leg where the implant was. The pain is located on my the outside of my glute and the thigh muscles toward my glutes very near my surgical scar. The surgeon really didn't give really give much creedence to it being muscle pain, but he didn't shoot it down either. Well at least I will not have to wait long to see whether or not its the infection again. I will get results tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom