BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Evi’s Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Evi, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @Evi
    Wondering how you're doing since you last posted.
    Please leave an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear of your progress.
    I hope you have a nice weekend.!

3. Evi

Evi junior member

Since it’s basically been nothing new- I haven’t posted in a while - but I just passed 7 week post surgery - and thought I’d post a bit of a boring update - but I think in this case boring is good -
    At completion of 6 weeks p/t ratcheted up the exercises and I think I’m holding my own - they’ve added in bicycle and light weights - hip isn’t the issue - it’s my knee on the surgical side - it’s what is holding me back from doing steps normally - it’s pretty stiff feeling - painful on steps only - walking doesn’t hurt knee at all - they tell me that the muscles are quite weak after dragging the right leg for over 2 years - I know p/t isn’t necessary- but in my case I think they’ve helped me enormously
    - knee is slowly getting stronger and am beginning to be able to do steps normally
    Last week when I hit the 6 week mark set by the OS was able to discontinue use of the TEDs - it felt so strange - but nice strange
    The scar is looking good and also by six weeks the last of the tape strips had fallen off by themselves - dr had said just let them fall off
    Dr follow up visit is 5 weeks off- he still has me on one 325 mg aspirin per day -
    For over 2 weeks I’ve been walking 4.5 miles daily - I can’t believe it - it’s been so many years since I’ve been able to walk without pain - freaked out a bit two days ago as I was on my walk and a little white dog scooted out of nowhere and nipped me in the shin - didn’t draw blood but it broke the skin - I came home and drowned it in isopropyl alcohol- took some of my prophylactic antibiotic I had in the house for dental appointments
    It’s achy and a bit swollen - Called dr in the morning - he’s having me keep my eye on it - but darn - of all the luck !!
    Still on 90 degrees restriction as I’m posterior approach- How are you guys handling pedicures/trimming nails - my dr recommended I go to a podiatrist this early in the game - save the salon for a few months from now

So not much to report as you can see - therefore the reason I hadn’t left an update - but just so glad to be walking pain and limp ( and I mean severe) free!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  4. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That is a real bit of bad luck for that little dog to bite you! Darn it!
    I am about 12 days behind you and I am nowhere close yet to walking 4.5 miles.. good for you!
    there's nothing more enjoyable than walking and getting exercise and seeing the neighborhoods.
    Enjoy your weekend.. I know I plan to! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Layla

Hello :wave:
    Everything was sounding so good until the dog :doggie: little stinker! Thankfully you reacted quickly, were proactive and checked with your OS. I recall this happening to another woman who I went through Recovery with.

On a lighter note, walking 4.5 miles since you were 5 weeks post op, without negative side effects,
    is great. Go Evi! Thanks for updating, it was great to hear from you. :)
    @Evi

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Layla

:hi: Evi, Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    Hope you're having a nice week and enjoying some beautiful Summer weather in your neck of the woods.
    Take care and stay in touch!
    @Evi

7. Evi

Evi junior member

So I’m 9 weeks today and proceeding well I think - knee - right surgical side- seems to be slooooowly resolving
    I’m doing stairs normally most of the day - but my house has a lot of them - often by late evening I’ve resorted to one step at a time as the stiffness and full feeling around knee causes knee to not being able to bend
    My hip remarkably is just fine - an occasional twinge - but - knock wood - nothing to complain about

But back to the knee - since I can’t really twist or bend yet due to precautions I haven’t really been able to examine it - but the other night when it was really bad - judicious use of mirrors got me a better look
    @Layla @Josephine these are probably questions for you - is it normal after the surgery that knee would be like this - no pain AT ALL walking - only stairs - I noticed now that entire back of knee is quite swollen - area is quite large - now I know why I can’t bend it as it’s really quite puffy back there - also I thought it was black and blue - but on closer inspection it’s a veritable tangle of hundreds of fine spidery veins so many it appeared black and blue from a distance - I didn’t have that pre surgery - they seem to have burst - will they resolve and disappear- front of knee isn’t really noticeably swollen - there’s one small black and blue mark the size of a quarter on outside leg just below knee with burst veins emanating from it -

So after discovering this I’ve now started icing the back of knee and it does bring down the swelling about 50-75 percent until it’s aggravated again -

is this normal - just needs to resolve itself or did something in my knee get injured considering all those veins burst in back of the knee

I don’t care how it looks - my leg modeling days are over - (that’s a laugh) - I’m just so glad my hip is pain free - but if something in knee now needs to be addressed - perhaps torn - maybe you know ?

Thank you for your continued help - looking forward to possibly being restrictions free in 3 more weeks !! Yes !! Back To side sleeping !!! And leg crossing !!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:01 AM
  8. Layla

Hi Evi,
    It was nice to hear from you. It sounds as though you're doing well aside from the knee issues.
    It may still be healing from the dislocation process during which it can be manipulated rather aggressively. Since it's been two months you may want to check in with your OS regarding your assessment of the situation and I'm sure through a few questions they'll be able to offer you some reassuarance.

In all honesty, my knee has never been the same since my THR. I brought it up multiple times before they finally x-rayed it at 6 months post op to shut me up I'm sure. I was told I have very mild arthritic changes which shouldn't bother me for years to come. Don't understand how they can predict that, but it never bothered me until after surgery. In my case, I feel there's a connection and I'm sticking with that! :wink: I hope your issues ease soon. Thanks for the update. Enjoy the weekend!
    @Evi

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1