BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Elf1 Recovery Road

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Elf1, Jun 25, 2019.

1. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

United States United States
    :sleeep:"there's no place like home". Congratulations on your shiny new hip. You are on your way to a pain free life and freedom from hip constraints.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

I am beginning to think you have a superpower, @Elf1! When you talk to people face to face, they see things your way and give you what you want. Fantastic! It’s great to hear you are feeling your stress evaporate and that you are settling in for quality healing :).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Can we compare stories Elf1? Glad you're home. I essentially left on my own with much pressure from me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. J-nice

J-nice member

Glad your home!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Sorry I've been a bit absent but am now trying to catch up on some much needed sleep. Yesterday after getting home I tried the bed for a while, tried one of the living room chairs, back to the bed and eventually the couch. Feeling a bit like Goldilocks! :snork:

Can already see improvement since getting home so going to try and rest and sleep as much as possible today. Check in later!

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hey @Elf1 :hi: Happy Wednesday to you!
    You're posts are legible, that's always a good start. :heehee:
    Some post op musings here are real doozies, even providing comedic relief at times.
    I hope you sleep well and wake feeling refreshed. :yawn: :sleep:
    We'll catch up with you later. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Well now, of course, I am waiting to see which “nest” turns out to be “just right” :) Wishing you a restful, peaceful day!

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

@Ptarmigan well so far the nest I had originally set up is not where I'm hanging. Finally took over the couch and think this is going to be home base for a while.

@Layla glad to know I'm somewhat making sense!
    :rotfl:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@Elf1 You're supposed to be sounding like a drunken hipster-tipster so it's hard to tell you've even had surgery! Finding a good comfy nest is hard to do for the first couple of days but the walk back and forth is good PT :heehee:
    I hope you continue on the good path that it sounds like you're on. Wishing you the best!!! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  10. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Glad you have found your comfy spot @Elf1 mine is my bed with the doggos to keep me company
    I hope to move a bit more tomorrow

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. J-nice

J-nice member

Glad you found a spot! I’m starting to go a little stir crazy and it’s only been 9 days! Rest well!!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

@Elf1
    I remember the first week I was on Norco 5mg every 4 hours, I slept in bed, quite comfy. :sleep:Then I decided to stop it and just use Tylenol, and my bed was not so comfy :what:and I moved to my recliner in the living room for about a week. Then I started using my bed again. :praying:My couch did not work, too soft and it hurt to even sit on it. :dubious:Now I can sit or lay on it again. Feels so good to be able to lay on the sofa and watch TV. :loveshwr:This was about week 4 when I tried it again. I told my husband something is healing I can lay on the sofa.:heehee: Oh the little blessings that come along slowly. The first couple weeks was hard to get real comfortable anywhere, but it gets BETTER. :yahoo:Hang on, good days are ahead....:flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

The bed is a great height it's just way too soft, kind of sucks you in and you struggle to get out. We're finally going to break down and get a new mattress but hubby thought it would be better to wait until I'm somewhat healed so I know it's comfortable for my new hip.

The couch is a bit harder so that seems to work. Have one of the cats laying between my ankles, told her that being the leg spacer is her job! They have been really good since I have been home, they are treading very carefully around me. Have pillows around my hip/incision area to keep them from jumping directly on to it.

It cracks me up the different instructions you get. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they were going to put a pillow between my legs. The PA kept stressing that I need to keep my feet at least 5 inches apart all the time. Of course when the nurses would help me back into bed they would pretty much out my ankles together with their arm underneath to slide my legs in

:mooncat:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Misscarol

Misscarol member

Yes...they seem to have different rules...l remember requesting a dressing change , as the dressing rolled down..making it really uncomfortable to lie on...the night nurse came in...without gloves...and l asked him to sanitize his hands (l was frightened of infection) and he didn't seem happy...said he had done them outside!!!!....l insisted , without being rude...but...it should be automatic...anyways...you sleep well my friend....night night...:sleep:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gertie

gertie post-grad

I'm glad you found your comfy spot and had to laugh at the kitty leg spacer. The OT at the hospital, who was a stickler for precautions, wanted to send me home with a massive purple foam leg spacer that went just about from crotch to ankles. I was strapped into it when I came out of surgery but the nurses and aides soon abandoned it on the counter in my room. I said no thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

So glad you're home and your stress level has dropped, @Elf1 As Dorothy says, "there's no place like home". Take it easy, keep icing, nap all you want and you'll do great as you chug along the recovery road.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

It's nice to find the spot that works best and feels comfy. Sleep as much as you can,:sleep::sleep: it is part of healing plus all the sleep we lose due to pain pre op and then in the hospital.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Oh gee- so Elf1 I too was doing the Goldilocks thing and absolutely nothing was comfortable and my cat was my centurion and wouldn't let anyone near me except her and she was jumping on me. You'll find that great sleep spot--well someone has to-and then it will be blissful. To all of you who are just recovering speedy speedy recovery. I think the best part is when you do have that blissful sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Elf1. I am dying to ask is that a cupcake in your hand because I am starting to dream of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Calgal

Calgal senior

You are always so cheerful and attentive to everyone's posts. I'm so happy you are on the recovery side and getting comfortable (definitely a challenge the first weeks!) And fur babies are just the best for keeping you company and comforting you as you recover. We had a spell of cold rainy weather when I had mine done, and my Spaniel kept my feet warm!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Izabel

Izabel senior

Portugal Portugal
    So pleased you are home in your own comfort zone ... especially with the cats. My two are so precious but somehow wanted to sit/lie on me more than previously. :kittykiss:

When I was in hospital in October I had Hubby go to the upholsterer (we still have them here) and he got a 10cm/4in good quality foam 'topper' for our mattress which raised the bed and made it more comfortable. We have an orthopaedic mattress but with my weight loss I could feel everything. Of course I had to buy new fitted sheets 14in deep ... thank you Amazon!

Sending you healing vibes. xx

:yellowcat:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019