THR Elf1 Recovery Road

:sleeep:"there's no place like home". Congratulations on your shiny new hip. You are on your way to a pain free life and freedom from hip constraints.
 
I am beginning to think you have a superpower, @Elf1! When you talk to people face to face, they see things your way and give you what you want. Fantastic! It’s great to hear you are feeling your stress evaporate and that you are settling in for quality healing :).
 
Sorry I've been a bit absent but am now trying to catch up on some much needed sleep. Yesterday after getting home I tried the bed for a while, tried one of the living room chairs, back to the bed and eventually the couch. Feeling a bit like Goldilocks! :snork:

Can already see improvement since getting home so going to try and rest and sleep as much as possible today. Check in later!
 
Hey @Elf1 :hi: Happy Wednesday to you!
You're posts are legible, that's always a good start. :heehee:
Some post op musings here are real doozies, even providing comedic relief at times.
I hope you sleep well and wake feeling refreshed. :yawn: :sleep:
We'll catch up with you later. :)
 
@Ptarmigan well so far the nest I had originally set up is not where I'm hanging. Finally took over the couch and think this is going to be home base for a while.

@Layla glad to know I'm somewhat making sense!
:rotfl:
 
@Elf1 You're supposed to be sounding like a drunken hipster-tipster so it's hard to tell you've even had surgery! Finding a good comfy nest is hard to do for the first couple of days but the walk back and forth is good PT :heehee:
I hope you continue on the good path that it sounds like you're on. Wishing you the best!!! :flwrysmile:
 
@Elf1
I remember the first week I was on Norco 5mg every 4 hours, I slept in bed, quite comfy. :sleep:Then I decided to stop it and just use Tylenol, and my bed was not so comfy :what:and I moved to my recliner in the living room for about a week. Then I started using my bed again. :praying:My couch did not work, too soft and it hurt to even sit on it. :dubious:Now I can sit or lay on it again. Feels so good to be able to lay on the sofa and watch TV. :loveshwr:This was about week 4 when I tried it again. I told my husband something is healing I can lay on the sofa.:heehee: Oh the little blessings that come along slowly. The first couple weeks was hard to get real comfortable anywhere, but it gets BETTER. :yahoo:Hang on, good days are ahead....:flwrysmile:
 
The bed is a great height it's just way too soft, kind of sucks you in and you struggle to get out. We're finally going to break down and get a new mattress but hubby thought it would be better to wait until I'm somewhat healed so I know it's comfortable for my new hip.

The couch is a bit harder so that seems to work. Have one of the cats laying between my ankles, told her that being the leg spacer is her job! They have been really good since I have been home, they are treading very carefully around me. Have pillows around my hip/incision area to keep them from jumping directly on to it.

It cracks me up the different instructions you get. They looked at me like I was crazy when I asked if they were going to put a pillow between my legs. The PA kept stressing that I need to keep my feet at least 5 inches apart all the time. Of course when the nurses would help me back into bed they would pretty much out my ankles together with their arm underneath to slide my legs in

:mooncat:
 
Yes...they seem to have different rules...l remember requesting a dressing change , as the dressing rolled down..making it really uncomfortable to lie on...the night nurse came in...without gloves...and l asked him to sanitize his hands (l was frightened of infection) and he didn't seem happy...said he had done them outside!!!!....l insisted , without being rude...but...it should be automatic...anyways...you sleep well my friend....night night...:sleep:
 
I'm glad you found your comfy spot and had to laugh at the kitty leg spacer. The OT at the hospital, who was a stickler for precautions, wanted to send me home with a massive purple foam leg spacer that went just about from crotch to ankles. I was strapped into it when I came out of surgery but the nurses and aides soon abandoned it on the counter in my room. I said no thanks.
 
It's nice to find the spot that works best and feels comfy. Sleep as much as you can,:sleep::sleep: it is part of healing plus all the sleep we lose due to pain pre op and then in the hospital.
 
Oh gee- so Elf1 I too was doing the Goldilocks thing and absolutely nothing was comfortable and my cat was my centurion and wouldn't let anyone near me except her and she was jumping on me. You'll find that great sleep spot--well someone has to-and then it will be blissful. To all of you who are just recovering speedy speedy recovery. I think the best part is when you do have that blissful sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Elf1. I am dying to ask is that a cupcake in your hand because I am starting to dream of it.
 
You are always so cheerful and attentive to everyone's posts. I'm so happy you are on the recovery side and getting comfortable (definitely a challenge the first weeks!) And fur babies are just the best for keeping you company and comforting you as you recover. We had a spell of cold rainy weather when I had mine done, and my Spaniel kept my feet warm!
 
The bed is a great height it's just way too soft, kind of sucks you in and you struggle to get out. We're finally going to break down and get a new mattress but hubby thought it would be better to wait until I'm somewhat healed so I know it's comfortable for my new hip.

So pleased you are home in your own comfort zone ... especially with the cats. My two are so precious but somehow wanted to sit/lie on me more than previously. :kittykiss:

When I was in hospital in October I had Hubby go to the upholsterer (we still have them here) and he got a 10cm/4in good quality foam 'topper' for our mattress which raised the bed and made it more comfortable. We have an orthopaedic mattress but with my weight loss I could feel everything. Of course I had to buy new fitted sheets 14in deep ... thank you Amazon!

Sending you healing vibes. xx

:yellowcat:
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom