Guest viewing is limited

THR Elf1 Recovery Road

Hi there @Elf1
Sounds like you had a nice visit with the OS.
With any luck you'll see speedy results from the strengthening exercises he prescribed and the hip pain you're experiencing eases soon.

I'll bet turning in your work related articles, clearing your space and collecting your belongings made it real.
I hope all of your retirement plans and dreams come true.
Enjoy the rest of the week!
 
@Elf1 You had a good chat with your OS, good to hear your update. I have 2lb ankle weights, been wanting to go back to some of my old exercises with my workout bench, but have not done that yet, still a bit unsure if my leg is ready. Please be careful if you try that, when I was in good shape 2lb ankle weights really gave me a workout, so I'm being a worrywort for you.:flwrysmile:
 
Great news from your OS, @Elf1 And I hope your letter to the hospital's CEO will cause those folks to step back, assess their practice and make some needed changes. Here's hoping anyway! And I bet it felt a bit bittersweet to go to your office to grab the rest of your stuff. Work has been such a huge part of your life and while retirement is going to be fabulous, I would think (well, this was true for me anyway) that there are aspects of it that you'll miss. Still, planning for a wonderful future ahead with fully functioning hips must make you smile and your heart sing! Woo, hoo!
 
Congratulations on your retirement! Welcome to the club! and so happy to hear you had a great checkup as well.
 
@Elf1 congratulations on your final trip to work! Glad OS was pleased with your progress. I have not used my leg weights in a while, but I think they have slots for adding weights slowly.
I will check tomorrow. Currently on my way home in very bad UN traffic, from NYC. Decided on surgeon today, but won’t be home until late. The office wants me to schedule date from home.
Glad to hear the kittens are doing well! Now you will have more time to enjoy them.
 
Not only were we born a day apart, We retired 10 days apart, mine became official 9/23, and So, so glad you got a good doctors report. We're just kids yet and we have a lot of living to do!!!!:yes:
I'm feeling kind of discombobulated, knowing I'm done with that job for good, giving my scrubs away, 40 years is a long time to do anything. But I'm just taking the time I need to heal and trusting if theres another opportunity I'll find it!!!
And so will you! Just keep on trucking the way you are, and relish your happy news.
Couldnt happen to a nicer person!
 
@Elf1 I checked this morning. I have a MIR Pro weighted vest with weight slots for bone density, but the coordinating leg weight does not have slots. It’s just 1 1/2 lbs.
 
Happy Retirement Elf1 !!
Hope you enjoy your freedom from clock watching.
6 kitties living under your house - wow- the kittens will grow up accepting your presence and home as their own :kitty::kittymilk::catdance::catbutterfly::kitty::meow::kittymilk:
Hope you are ready for that xx
Xx
 
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Not sure if this will be full retirement at this time or if I'll decide to do something later on, we shall see. Actually have 7 kitties and Mama, was kind of hard to see the one little guy since they were usually in a big pile. My cats are not quite sure what to do with these little ones running around on our back deck. They keep looking out the French doors and trying to reach out to the babies and talking.

Tried the 2lb weight the day I got it after my appointment with the OS. Umm, probably not going to use that very much at this point in time. Tried to do a lift with it on the 2nd day and really had to struggle to get my leg up, thinking that's not good so we'll just set that aside for now. Need to get back to the pool, kind of got out of my routine doing other things the last two weeks so will try to work that back in. Have been doing a lot in the meantime though. Did a big vacuum of the house yesterday and then pulled out the steam cleaner and attacked a good section of the living room and bedroom. The day before that I was busy baking home made banana walnut bread and toll house cookies for a potluck the hubby was having at school and made a Rueben salad for him for dinner so was chopping stuff up, even made my own the croutons from a roll that I got at the bakery. Felt good to actually do some of the stuff that I used to do.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We're still sitting here in the 90s with hear index temps in the 100s, it can stop anytime now! The weather folks the other day said we were in 2nd place for the highest average temp for September and the month still had another week to go!
:bored:
 
@Elf1 I have baking and cooking envy! You are really doing well when you can make that much food and steam carpets! It must feel so good to have your old self coming back.

Your cats are well entertained, as well as you! 7 is a big litter. Maybe a young mother?

We are in a drought, and I enjoy the sunshine, but wish I did not have to move the sprinkler around the yard.

Enjoy your pool weather while it lasts!
 
@Elf1 It's so exciting to do normal things again. Glad you are in that cycle of healing now, and can resume some previous things you enjoyed, and even the ones maybe you did not enjoy...like cleaning.....:heehee: I remember I was so excited to vacuum, dust, wash floors, do dishes, etc. etc. now I'm getting sort of back to normal, I did not think I would ever miss cleaning my house...but strangely, I DID....:rotfl:
 
@VSlowLife luckily the pool is inside at the gym about 10 minutes from the house, main reason I joined!

Mama is actually a few years old, think this is the biggest litter I've seen her have. She always comes back here as she knows we won't hurt her or the babies. Would love to be able to get them all taken care of but everyone is way too skittish. We keep watching and see what we can do, have to be careful as if she feels we're getting too close she'll move everyone.
 
@Elf1 oh you are so lucky to have an indoor pool! My community only has an outdoor pool for residents. Swimming is something I dearly miss, thanks to my cam impinged hip.

I understand about keeping your distance. I had a turkey nest in my front yard, tall grass, by my porch. She had 9 hatch out of 10. I could put my porch light on at night to check up on them and they were all over my yard eating ticks. I miss them. Momma was hit by a car trying to cross the street, last week, and the babies, one by one got the turkey pox from a mosquito! So sad. Domestic turkeys can get a vaccine. I was amazed our feral neighbor cat left them alone.

I would be tempted to hang some string with bells, but I do not know if feral cats would play with them.
 
Good morning, @Elf1 I hope your day started out well and you're feeling relaxed and content. I hope the temperatures have eased up a bit, although admittedly feeling jealous as our rainfall for September is double the normal, and a warm, sunny day would be such a treat. But, it's not going to happen, and I just need to appreciate the fact that I can see some streaks of blue sky among the clouds this morning. Temperature only expected to be high 50's today, so not exactly balmy. Still have a lovely Sunday, doing whatever you want to do! Cheers!
 
Last edited:
I think setting that two pound weight aside is the best idea for now. Especially given it was such a struggle.

Wow, it sounds like you've been busy with some cleaning, cooking and baking. I can't believe it's still in the 90's in your neck of the woods. We have a random 81 degree temp forecast for tomorrow but after that we're in the 50's all week. Not too unusual for this time of year, it can go either way. I'm ready for Fall though as it's my favorite time of year.

I hope you are enjoying your retirement even if you have some ideas on the back burner for a later date.
For now you can enjoy your days doing exactly what you want to do.

Hope you have a nice Sunday and a great week!
@Elf1
 
:wave: my hippy pal.
Just shy of 3 months and if you can tiptoe through this month...you'll hit my majic month...numero four-0

I think you are doing well considering your fusion surgery and all of the lead ups to this fun stuff.

Great job at staying positive and being so supportive of others.
Makes the world a kinder, gentler place when we help each other through the rough patches.:)

Hope this week is a Great Week!:roseshwr:
 
Thanks @Mojo333, trying to take it one day at a time. Will be hosting our annual
Oktoberfest here at the house on the 12th but all my friends know that if I ask for help carrying stuff or cleaning up to jump in. Should be interesting to see the diff from when we did Memorial Day before the surgery.

@Barbaraj they are telling me we supposedly have a cold front possibly coming through in the next week. I'll believe it when I feel it, keeping fingers crossed!

@Layla definitely decided to put that 2lb weight aside for now. I'm walking pretty good without aids though I use my cane out in public for safety. Doing a few stretches at night on the bed while watching tv, figure the cats walking across me is weight enough!
:kitty:
 
Oktoberfest...now that sounds like fun! Are you going to wear your Dirndl skirt and apron, braid your hair, eat sausages and tip back heavy beer steins you can barely lift? :beer: All kidding aside, it does sound like fun and any time spent with beloved friends IS a good time!

I hope you're doing well, feeling comfortable and have a peaceful day on tap. Happy Tuesday!
@Elf1
 
I am sure you're busily planning your fun event now, and so glad to hear, @Elf1, that you absolutely will feel no compunction asking for help if you need it. People generally do love to help, and I'm betting they'll happily step in if asked. I bet it will be a really fun event! Happy Tuesday!
 
@Elf1 Wow, you are putting on an Oktoberfest party, ( with help ). I think that is wunderbar! Thank you for reminding me. My daughter did an exchange in high school to Germany, and I have come to enjoy German food. My village has a German restaurant and bakery. I will have to visit them to do a little celebrating. Do you celebrate St. Martin, too? I think it is around our Halloween/All Saints Day.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom