Guest viewing is limited

THR Dysplasia's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you doing, Dysplasia? Concerned about how things are working out after your bout w rashes and husband's illness. Hey, now that your dysplasia has been taken care of (as has mine, hooray!), would you consider changing your handle? Or at least sign your real name? Don't give that condition power over you anymore! Just a suggestion. Drop us a line.
 
Thank you for thinking about me. My rash has calm down. I did not need to take allergy med today. My husband is also doing better. Things are starting to get back to normal. I will see PA tomorrow so I will give my report then.
 
Slow and steady Dysplasia! Hope you are getting some much needed rest.
 
I went to see PA today. He actually removed my steri-strips today, checked my incision, and told me everything looks great! Skin around the incisions are red and itchy but he said I should not need to put gauze any more either and it should become normal looking skin in a week or so. Now I can officially shower! I also asked how much more I need to wear ted hose as I don't see much swelling from my stand point. He said as long as I am up and doing things during the day, I don't have to wear ted hose either ! Yeah!

I can get in and out of bed on my own and I am only using cane to walk and still feel quite stable. I think I am really recoverying quicker than I thought considering all the troubles I went through after the surgery. I don't feel pain either so I am only taking tylenol during the day and tramadol at night but I may switch tramadol to tylenol tonight. I don't need to use ice pack either. Ice pack was my friend to calm my rashes but now my rashes are almost all gone, I don't feel I need ice pack.

Steps are a little difficult still but as long as I am very careful, I am OK.

I feel much more independent now.

I am relatively active person so it is difficult for me to sit and watch TV for many days. (2 weeks are long enough...) Now I feel so much stronger and able to do things, but I need to remind myself that I just had a major surgery and I still need to relax...

After my appointment with PA, I stopped by where I work as my hospital is 3 min away from where I work. I talked to my co workers for a bit and I actually went out for lunch with my friends from work too. This was the first eat out for me after surgery. After I got home, I felt I was tired but my physical therapist came so I did excersize with him. Now it is time for a little nap until my kids will come home from daycare in 2 hours.

When I went to ICU after surgery, I cried. When I had rashes, I cried. But things are turning around and I think I am doing well. My legs feel still stiff but that is all. Everytime my PT says "1 bad fall will ruin everything, so don't fall. " So I will try not to overdo and not fall!
 
Wow, No Longer Dysplasia, you are tearing it UP! I was so inspired by your post, that I just spontaneously tried transitioning myself from my walker to a single crutch (not one of the awful under-the-arm design, btw, the more elegant brace). It just felt...right! So far so good. It sounds like you are doing amazingly. Also sounds like you've got the good sense to move at a reasonable pace. I have much the same problem as you: wanting to advance quickly to the next level, trying to keep in mind the enormity of the surgery we just had. I've had one outing already, to the movies on Sunday, and it went great. Congratulations, fellow traveler!
 
Took shower this morning. It felt so good. I had shower before but with saranwrap and trash bag to keep my dressing dried, I didn't feel so refreshed. I don't need Ted hose so I didn't need my husband help to get dressed this morning. I realize how many things I take granted, taking shower, getting dressed without help, etc. I really start to appreciate simple things I can do in my life.
 
:SUNsmile: It such a feeling of independence when we can finally take care of ourselves doing the little things and being able to do them without pain. And being able to do those things makes us realize that we are getting better and that we'll continue to get better. You're doing great, keep up the good work!:thumb:
 
Great updates Dysplasia! You are well and truly on your way!
 
Well done Dysplasia! - great progress!
 
I had very good weekend. On Sun, I went to the zoo with kids. I was not so confident walking that distance, so I was sitting in a wheel chair holding my 1 year old girl on my lap, and my husband was pushing me, and 5 year old was walking along. It was a little hot but it was fun to get out of the house and enjoy the day. Yesterday, PT came over and told me that my recovery is two weeks faster than normal one. Yeah! I am getting around the house without a cane now. PT still wants me to use a cane outside of the house. But I am making a good progress.

My problem right now is that I can't find comfy position to sleep at night. I use 4-5 pillows to keep me in a different position. I wake up every 1-2 hour and I am constantly changing positions but still can't feel I am well rested. Also my skin around incision is peeling off and really getting itchy. I hope it will get better but it may take a couple of days...
 
DNM (dysplasia no more), I too am having a heckuva time with a comfy sleeping position. Ive tried two different beds in our house, but the pressure on my lower back from being locked into back-sleeping all night is just too much. Sleeping on my non-operated side is not even an option, uncomfy and I'm paranoid about breaking my uncrossed leg/feet restriction. So I end up back in the recliner, which is SO comfy but I miss my mate :-(. Plan to continue experimenting with pillows, and I think w more strength and PT I will feel better on my side. Work in progress for sure.
 
I slept on a sofa last night and I slept relatively well. I like to nap on a recliner but I did not feel to sleep in it all night. Sofa is softer than the bed and when I tried side position with pillows in between legs, it did not bother me weighing my body on incisions. As I had both hip done, I don't have a good hip but it seems like laying on right hip is easier than left. I will try to sleep on a sofa again tonight.
 
Today I got scolded from physical therapist. Last week, he told me I can walk as much as I want. Last Thur, I was feeling quite well so I went to walk around a park which was about 3/4 mile. I was fine so I did the same walk on Fri too. After that, my left hip started to hurt. I realized I overdid so I was taking it easy since then. When PT came today and explained the situation he said I strained the muscle. Even I am feeling stronger, muscle need time to heal. So he told me grocery shopping is ok and walking around the house is ok but no hard walking... Well, I feel stepping backwards but that what it is. I guess i will have to be patient...
 
Yesterday was my last home therapy. Physical therapist think I am doing well and I don't need his help any more. So I am discharged from physical therapy. Now I have to do excersize on my own. My left leg muscle is still tender and when I do excersize, it hurts a little but muscle should get stronger. Next will be my 8 week follow up with x rays.
 
Sounds like you are doing well for your timeframe.

Maybe just short walks are the exercise now. Jo always says that hips work out for themselves and my OS said, just walk, that's what hips are for :)

Good for you!
 
It's been a while since I was here last time. I am 10 weeks post op. I am doing great. I am back to work from last week for half a day and this week I am back full time. I don't think it is too hard. It is just hard for me to get up early in the morning. (I have to be up 5:00am). I have been to the state fair which requires a lot of walking. No problems. My medical bills starting to show up which is not so fun to look but I think it was worth to do the replacements.
 
Wow back to work already. Well done but I hope you can rest as much as possible. Stamina is an issue for many new hippies and since you have two new hips rest is still important. Glad you are only doing a half day this week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom