Guest viewing is limited

THR Dysplasia's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear, not good for your husband. Hope he is feeling better now. Is he under treatment for the infection?

I'll tag Jo and see what she has to say. @Josephine:
 
I think that's something your surgeon has to decide. I have no input to offer, I'm afraid.
 
Hi Dysplasia, yes definitely requires discussion with your surgeon. Is there a Rehab hospital/centre your OS could send you to for a few days? I am sure your OS would not want to subject you to going home to your primary health carer who has an infection!

Bad luck with your husband, I do hope he feels better soon.
 
Yeah, I think I have to discuss with my OS tomorrow morning. Ear infection is not caused by cold so I don't think it will pass to me. What I don't know is herpetic stomatitis. It's like canker sore and as long as I am not kissing him or sharing food, it maybe ok. I have rehab hospital in mind but insurance will not approve medical nessecity. I am really upset with my husband! Why now? Anyway, I will talk to my doctor tomorrow.
 
I can imagine how you feel with hubby, but I am sure he didn't mean to get sick:)

I know when I came home from hospital, my hubby slept more than I did, had more naps than me... I just put it down to his stress levels of worrying over me had gotten to him, maybe this is the case with your hubby.

Talk to your OS tomorrow, tell him you are concerned and seek his advice. - good luck :)
 
Somehow, I can't sleep well tonight. It's 2:30 in the morning. I know my husband was worried about me dealing with low blood pressure and hemoglobin, and still need to take care of 2 kids. He probably stressed out. But I am alone here in the hospital room except 4-5 hours a day, as we are putting taking care of kids is more important than my husband staying with me. I know that is our decision but I feel so lonely and I wish my husband can stay by my side... I know I am asking too much from him.... I am selfish....I just want to be independent as quick as possible so that I am not relying on my husband too much.
 
Sorry you aren't sleeping. Please don't worry about the future. Think about now and saving your energy for the journey home and caring for your children.

I think once you are home things will seem simpler. For now, rest and sleep. You just had major surgery and your priority is to get strong and mobile.

Take care!
 
I just talked to a physician and he said my husband condition is not something to concerned as long as he touch his mouth and touch me right afterwards. He will prescribe low dose of antibiotic just for precaution.I am so glad to hear that. I can go home today! Finally! I still have to do Steps with therapist before going home. But things are starting to look better.
 
I finally came home. In the morning, when I tried PT, I walked too far and I got so dizzy and couldn't do steps. After a while my arms and face were all tingling and I was not good. It was a scarely moment for me. But they checked my BP which was a little low but not too bad. They checked hemoglobin and that number was ok. So I rested a while and tried steps in the afternoon, did ok, so I finally got discharged. I was waking up almost every hour last night, I just can't find a comfy position. My heel started hurting and all my skin starting to be so itchy. I probably need to sponge bath well and put lotion avoiding my incision sight. It's good to be home but I feel bad as I can't do anything but ask my husband.
 
Congratulations on a major milestone - going home!

Remember our mantra, rest, elevate, ice and meds.

I also experienced a sore burning heel in hospital and when I first came home. In hospital the nurse filled a rubber glove (the thin ones) with ice cold water and popped it under my heel. I continued this practice at home... Oh, so soothing!
 
Is it normal to have skin rash kind of looking skins and very itchy where it had tapes from surgery? My good part of lower back and front thigh is very red and itchy. Putting lotion seems to help but I was not sure this is other kind of skin rash that i need to be concerned or just skin irritation from the surgery.
 
I talked to OS office about my rashes. He is not quite sure what caused it but most likely caused by antibiotic pill I started to take last night. All over my back is really itchy and it is unbearable. I don't need any more issuses. I already have enough to deal. Home PT came out today and worked for a while. I really liked him so I am glad I got a good therapist. I didn't have pains during work. It was just stiff and some exercise is hard but I am willing to work. I just need to control this rash at the moment.
 
I believe that certain drugs given during surgery can cause these reactions.. Hopefully it will be gone soon!
 
I ended up going ER for rashes. It progressively got worse and my body started to shake and I could not breath from hyperventiration. Itchiness is so bad but I can't bend my legs or anything. So I felt I needed medical help. Called 911, and went back to the ER in the same hospital I was in. This place is not a closest place from my house but my husband insisted to go there as they have all my medical record. After they injected a couple medicines, I finally started to calm down after a while. It still itchy but it is tolerable amount. They gave me some prescription drug too to help this rash. I came home 11pm last night and was able to sleep till 4:30am, which is pretty good amount of straight sleep. My husband went to get these medicines now. Otherwise my hip is doing great. PT is hard but I can live with it. Once my rash is under control, I should feel stronger.
 
I was miserable with my rashes yesterday. It was so bothering me and did not sleep at all. Yesterday, I had home nurse come in and she talked to my doctor to get additional medicines to give me some comforts. Last night, I was still itchy but it was better than the day before.
Today I rested well and had PT with the therapist and doing well. It is awkward to know how to remember to walk propery. I was walking funny to compensate the pain before the surgery and now I still try to walk that way. It will take thinking how to walk. I can see I am more mobile day by day. I can get in and out of my bed on my own, I can walk more, I can move my leg further. I think I am making a good progress. I can't thank my husband enough how much he support me and how well he takes care of me.
 
It is wonderful to hear that you were able to get some rest and that you have received medications to relieve your rash. Walking will come, it sounds as if you are really doing well. I had only one replacement and it took me some time to feel natural when walking. It is great that you can get in and out of bed by yourself. This also took me some time. What progress you are making !

Be sure to rest and not overdo it . Wishing you smooth sailing in your recovery from here out.
 
Yes, your walking gait is important, but it will come.. Your muscles etc, retain the memory of how you walked before surgery.. Still early days :)

Great at you have a wonderful caring husband, I can so relate to that!
 
Wow, sounds like maybe hives from buildup of anxiety to me! Take it easy would be my advice. Dont' try to do too much PT, esp. since your hemoglobin levels will not be up to proper numbers for a while. I have opted to not sleep in my bed for a little while, until my hip strength is such that I can easily get in and out without pain, and sleep without having to shift constantly. Do you have an option of sleeping in a recliner? It has worked wonders for me. Good foryou and your hubby!
 
Try to relax and go with the flow! Hard I know when having to have someone else do everything for you......my hubby came up trumps but I hated having to ask/rely on him to do everything for me so know where you are coming from!

Now at the end of week ten, am doing most things for myself apart from being able to put shoes or socks onto the operated leg sadly! Can shower, dry, moisturise, dress etc for myself which is great..... can walk three miles, drive, carry objects, change beds, put on the wash and hang out washing, iron, cook meals, hoover a little, go out and have coffee or dinner and go to the supermarket with hubby who has to carry the shopping etc and put it away when we get home!

It will come.... be patient:) I too had problems post operatvely....... needed a transfusion during surgery, low blood pressure post op and passing out and vomiting......:boohoo: but home day three and after first two awful weeks have never looked back....... stay strong and be positive..... you will get there......:yay:
 
Sorry about the horrible rash and other problems. You probably need to rest a lot just from that ordeal.

Be sure to rest a lot. You had bilateral hips, and I don't care what anyone says--I believe it would be much harder to recover from bilateral than from one. I had enough to deal with from just one; I can't imagine having them both done at the same time. Be kind to yourself and don't push too much.

Hang in there,

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom