THR DVT and pulmonary embolus

Hip4 me

Country
United States United States
I have been trying to but not sure where. Was looking for December but only see nov. Sorry I am not real good at tech stuff . Lol

@Hip4 me ,
Welcome to the other side!

You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? .
Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Hope you are doing well,.

Here is your copy of the Recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

December 11 2017 surgery THR done. Recovery seems slow. Doing PT as orders from hospital pt staff. Hospital stay was a bit crazy. Surgery was over at noon but my room was not ready so they kept me in recovery till 5 pumping me up on morphine. Kept asking for my husband and nothing. Then finally moved back to pre op area. Noisy and only curtain separation. Poor nurse was trying so hard but he was not ready for a post op patient. Finally saw my family. They were so worried because no real updates to them. Finally 9pm I was sent to my room. Great private room and awesome busing staff. Pt then came and tried to do a session. It was not good. She said maybe I might need to go to rehab.
Thankfully next day I had a better session meds before and ready to go. Went in on Monday and home Wednesday. Love my electric chair best investment. Insurance gave me a portable camoed and I am using it as a shower chair. Learning to walk all over again because I have been struggle for s year. Dr said I was total bone on bone. Thankful for all gods blessings and the people he has put into my life to help me with this journey. Getting stronger everyday and need to be ready to be a labor coach for my second grand daughter coming end Jan. Merry Christmas

Hi there,
We share the same surgery date! Sorry there were so many missteps along the way with your experience. I hope you're healing well and enjoying the new life we each received when our OS's installed our new hips. Modern miracles--that's what we are :)
Take care,
Patrikya

It really does amaze me this whole procedure and how far it has come. I hope you are having a good recovery. I look forward to getting my life back without pain.

Yay for you. Take it slow and you'll be on your way back to your life before you know it.
Glad you are on this side...:yay:

Being stuck in pre op sounds horrible. Hopefully that was the worst of it. Having the baby to focus on is a great goal. We are blessed with what we can have done to help us. Keep resting and healing.

It sounds like you sort of had a tough start but now you are home so that is good. Just remember what they keep telling us here on BoneSmart. Plenty of rest, ice and elevating. You will need to muster up a bit of patience as well as we all want to recover instantly but it does take a little time. Don’t compare your recovery to that of others as we all recover at a different rate for various reasons. Sending happy, healing thoughts your way. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Hip4 me
Sorry to hear about your rough start. Sounds like your Immediate aftercare was rather disorganized.
I find it sad you had to ask multiple times to see your husband. Loved ones can be such a comfort
in early recovery. I'm sorry you missed that. It's also unfortunate your family was inquiring about you to no avail.
Thankfully all of that is now behind you.

I agree with you on the lift recliners. I loved mine during recovery. Fortunately you have some time to heal before you welcome your second granddaughter into the world at the end of January. How exciting!!
Best wishes for a smooth recovery and a VERY :merry christmas: to you!
2018 will be great, new hip and new grandbaby!

I'm a little late in seeing this post, but very happy that you are finally victorious in this journey. I'm a little more than 100lbs overweight and had difficulty finding a surgeon that would do the surgery. I was also slightly less than 50 yrs. old as well (double whammy). But God blessed me to find one of the top orthopedic surgeons in CA that didn't hesitate.

Recovery was a little slower for me, but at 8 months out, I have no regrets and feel great. I didn't even need pain meds after 2 days out of surgery. I had hip dysplasia in my left hip and my surgeon told me my hip was totally destroyed!

I said all that to say not to worry. You should recover just fine. If you stick around here, you will always find that people having similar questions and experiences will put your mind at ease.

Best wishes and blessings!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

THR on Dec 11 2017. Dec 24 Went to ER with severe pain in none operated calf. Sonogram xray and later a CT scan. Have a DVT in calf and blood clots in right lung. Admitted to hospital for four nights. While I was there went into afib due to lung clot pressure on heart.

Home now but where there was once progress in my hip movement now is slow again. PT wants really up walk every few hours. Has to be short because shortness of breath.

Taking blood thinners now. Never did for surgery. Dr just said take aspirin. Hip feels great.

Just clot in calf on other leg super painful. Looking for more info on this subject here on bonesmart ? Anyone have a similar situation?

So sorry to hear of this setback @Hip4 me. That had to be very scary. I have not had that experience. Perhaps if you tag Josephine she could shed some light on this for you.

Oh my stars! Poor thing...I'm not much about experience or advice on those issues but I'm glad you are on this side.

You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

But I've changed the thread title to reflect your present condition!

PT wants really up walk every few hours. Has to be short because shortness of breath.
So sorry to hear of this but on NO account let your PT push you into walking more like that. After a PE, you need rest not activity.

If you go back and read your recovery articles, you will see this as a footnote - did you not read it?
It means, cancel PT!!

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better.
They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I am sorry you have had a setback, I too had a DVT and PE after my first hip replacement 20 years ago, I was still in hospital as I had to have a revision at day 7. The clot was in my operated leg therefore I didn’t recognise the pain and swelling. The first sign something was wrong was when I couldn’t breath properly without pain. To cut a long story short it turned out my blood didn’t respond well to either the heparin or wearing (teatment at the time) and I spent four weeks in hospital on complete bed rest. I was only allowed up on the last day to mobilise and learn the stairs. I went home 30 days after my replacement and was not allowed any physio. My recovery was slower than normal as you say due to the shortness of breath but I returned to work 3 months post op still using a stick initially. Twenty years on my hip is still functioning well in fact the new consultant I saw for my right hip done in November could not belive the range of movement I had in the left hip. Don’t stress about lack of physio and you will have read in all the post here your hip will heal on its own and hopefully you will have a great outcome as I did. Ps because of my previous DVT/PE I had cuffs on for first 24hours after surgery and given an injection before discharge also given 30 day course of blood thinner tablet. Pleased to report no problems second time around

Sorry for your setback. That must have been very scary. Don't worry about your hip. It will come along just fine. My surgeon told me this week "you need to rest and heal". Great advice and I am taking it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member