Guest viewing is limited

TKR DUTCH's 2nd Knee - Onward & Upward, One Day At A Time!

Sounds great!! BTW--What breed is your dog? I love the coloring:)
 
Sounds like you're doing great Dutch! Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
She is a beauty and it is a great picture of her! Happy you are doing well with your recovery.
 
Correction. I should have posted the 15 day post-op flexion as 110 deg, not 100 deg as posted above. My error in not reading the home therapist's notes correctly.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
First Out Patient Physical Therapy today at 21 days post-op. I had to slow them down a bit due to discomfort, but still achieved 115° Flexion.

I've also started reducing my pain meds from 1 Percocet every 4 hrs to 1/2 Percocet plus 1/2 500 mg Acetaminophen every 4 hrs. Doc is switching me over to the Norco hydrocodone/acetaminophen tablet from the Percocet, but it doesn't seem to work as well.

Next step in the regression is to see how well Ibuprofen works in place of the opiates. It worked very well the last time; and the sooner I can walk away from the opiates, the happier I will be.

Onward and upward! We shall see what we shall see, one day at a time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ibuprofen is primarily an anti-inflammatory, not a pain killer. Tylenol (Acetaminophen) taken in the correct dosage would be much more effective and have fewer potential dangers.

The correct, therapeutic dose of Tylenol is 1,000 mg (1G) 4 to 6-hourly, to a total of no more than 4,000 mg (1G) in 24 hours. If any of your other medications contain Acetaminophen, you need to factor that amount into your calculation of daily dosage.
 
Thanks Celle. As has been said here more than once, each recovery is different.

Just sharing my own personal experience, which is that ibuprofen is far superior to acetaminophen when it comes to pain relief for me.
 
Four weeks post-op and totally off the opiates, Gott sei Dank! Ibuprofen 400 mg occasionally once during the day and at bed time is all that's needed, at least for today.

Flexion last Friday at 3.5 weeks post-op was 125 degrees and extension was 1 degree. Another out patient PT tomorrow.

Onward and upward, one day at a time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great report @DUTCH! Your recovery sounds remarkably similar to mine. Wish it were so for everyone. Just remember not to be too overconfident and overdo!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Great report @DUTCH! Your recovery sounds remarkably similar to mine. Wish it were so for everyone. Just remember not to be too overconfident and overdo!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Believe me, I'm really a wuss; and I try to listen very carefully to the messages my body sends me.
 
Your recovery sounds remarkably similar to mine.

If I remember, you too, are one who went home the same afternoon as your morning surgery. Another similarity. I sure am glad I was able to do that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember, you too, are one who went home the same afternoon as your morning surgery. Another similarity. I sure am glad I was able to do that.

Yep! That was me! I have absolutely no regrets having it done that way either! I know it's not for everyone, as evidenced by the many opinions here on the subject, but it certainly was best for me, and it seems for you too. Continued success!
 
Continued success!

The same to you, too!

Today is 4 weeks and 3 days post-op. Just left out patient PT where they measured 136 deg flexion. Ended aspirin anti-coagulant protocol today, and off all pain meds except for 400 mg Ibuprofen at bed time.

Therapist, who has worked with me through all three knee surgeries, told me today that she has noticed that I heal and progress much faster than most. It doesn't seem fast enough for me, though. :ice:
Onward and upward, one day at a time! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bravo, Dutch!!! You're really having a sterling recovery. So happy for you. I'm not surprised the hydrocodone is less effective that the percocet. It's a step down on the scale, so that's to be expected. Good that you are finding a medication schedule that works, though. As you well know, proper pain management is key to a good recovery. Keep it up!
 
Bravo, Dutch!!! You're really having a sterling recovery. So happy for you. Keep it up!

Thanks. I am extremely grateful for the way my recovery is progressing. :thumb:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad your recovery is progressing so well. :yes!: :yay:
 
Back
Top Bottom