Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dolly's second knee

Even if it isn’t common I’m sure it’s a big deal to whoever gets one. :console2:
 
I had a Baker’s Cyst behind my left knee, but my OS drained it during my TKR this last March. Luckily I didn’t have one on my right knee, which I just had replaced in 12/17/18. I’m a side sleeper and it’s killing my not to be able to sleep like that b
 
I'm 4 weeks out, and scabs are gone, is it necessary to manipulate the scar to keep it from adhering? When I went to outpatient PT last time, they were intent on this. Now I'm approaching it much gentler, and am wondering if I need to do this. Thanks
 
No, you do not need to do that.
 
I agree with Jockette. It's not necessary to manipulate/mobilise the scar. Leave it alone and tell your PT "Hands off!"
As it heals, the scar tissues will gradually become more mobile, without any external intervention.
It's also not necessary to mobilise the kneecap.
 
I agree it’s not necessary, but in my case, I found it made the scar area feel better and soften faster, especially if I used vitamin e oil or other lotion. I did the same to my scar following major abdominal surgery. I still catch myself rubbing the area absentmindedly.
 
Once the scar has healed, with no scabs or open areas, it's quite OK to use your favourite moisturising cream on it. It's just not essential.
 
Im wondering why at 6 weeks my thigh /hip area is hurting. I've ridden my bicycle, on the road, a couple times and also stopped taking 325 mg aspirin twice daily, which was for blood thinning purposes. Could those things have caused this?
 
It’s possible. I would think riding a bike that is designed for outside is going to mean there will be resistance when you pedal. This early in recovery you want a bike set at zero resistance, which means a stationary bike.

That was a big accomplishment to ride a bike outside! Not just the pedaling, but the balance. I would wait a while before you do it again, though.
 
It probably wasn't my best move. I'm a devoted cyclist and lost my good judgement.
 
It’s hard to resist testing the new knee on a favorite activity. :yes: At some point, we have to do it. What Jockette said about resistance is almost certainly the reason for your discomfort. I rode a bike for the first time after surgery on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. I was five months post-op and mostly pain-free. My knees were sore after, and so were my thighs and butt for a few days.
 
Thanks so much, I figured I could skip the step of a stationary bike and get out there in the Florida sunshine.
 
It probably wasn't my best move. I'm a devoted cyclist and lost my good judgement.
I can understand that! I couldn't wait to get back riding outside and started with only about 1/4 mile the first time. I then waited to see how my knee reacted that night. I had extra soreness so I stayed off of it the next few days. Then I tried again. It was a trial and error thing until I was good with riding my normal routes.
 
@Dolly Girl like you I am so looking forward to getting out on my bike again but that will need to wait until spring time. The weather here in Scotland isn't good too risk my first cycle. Enjoy your trips out but don't overdo it yet
 
I am a little over two months out, doing well, and am wondering if it's OK to lift and carry my 25 pound one year old granddaughter?
 
@Dolly Girl, I was able to carry my 3 yr old granddaughter at about 8 weeks or so. Whether your knee feels comfortable with the extra weight or not will most likely depend on how you believes it will feel. It will also greatly depend on what you mean by carry. If you simply mean pick her up to hold her and give a hug, probably not a big deal. If you mean carry around for a while, might be a different story.
 
At almost 2 years out I still feel stress in my knee if I even carry a laundry basket of clothes. (and did you realize dirty clothes are heavier than clean ones? :scratch:)

I guess try it and see what happens. But I agree with NavyGunns description of “carrying.”
 
I am a little over two months out, doing well, and am wondering if it's OK to lift and carry my 25 pound one year old granddaughter?
Just try picking her up and not walking with her at first and see how you feel that night and the next day. If OK, then try carrying her for a short period, but stop and see how your night goes. If OK, then you know your knee is ready for it. To me, it's awfully early in your recovery to try it, but if you let your knee be your guide, you should be alright.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom