TKR Doing great at 12 weeks, kicked by a horse...

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. Are you in a cast? Are you weight bearing? When I broke my foot and ankle, the knee really complained about not being used. Yours probably will, too. It is probably normal.

Please let us know what your PA says.
 
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.... the PA said that I was extremely lucky, he was super concerned when he heard about it but felt better after reviewing the xrays and examining me. He told me to really elevate the leg to minimize swelling, try heat as well as ice, stay off of it as much as possible and be sure to use the walker for at least another week (when I return for a follow-up).
I thanked him for not scolding me for riding, and he said, “don’t we all go through these things ie. surgery so that we can continue to do the things we love?” (I appreciated that...). I’ve been extra emotional and needy this week, my poor husband... Patience is not my greatest virtue....
 
Perhaps Mr. LuckyKY deserves tickets to a favorite show/movie/concert? A night on the town? A massage? We all get a little high-maintenance with this recovery. Our supportive significant others really do earn their angel wings!

I'm glad the PA thinks you escaped serious harm. Lots of elevating and icing for you! And he's so right... we do have this surgery so we can do things like ride horses and play hockey and kayak and put ourselves in the middle of things again. :SUNsmile:
 
I like your idea of doing something special for my husband, @SusieShoes , thanks for that!
I never thought I would be high-maintenance, but I’m finding myself doing some of the things that my Dad was doing last summer while hospitalized (Ie. wanting some things “just so”, trying to take stock of things before the caregiver walks away, etc...). It is somewhat of a control issue, which I didn’t really think IIIIII had.... that’s the lesson in all of this, isn’t it? We’re NOT in control, lol!!!
 
Things are going sooo much better with my leg (and ribs), I’m really encouraged! My OS confirmed that the knee is okay, and said the actual fracture should be getting pretty well healed by 3 weeks. I’m walking with a cane or sticks and some independently, and taking less tylenol. I went to the aquatherapy pool at our rec center and did lots of exercising and stretching, that helped a lot and I’m going again today. I hope to be hiking and riding again soon!
 
I'm glad you're starting to feel better again.
Don't overdo the exercising, will you?
 
Back
Top Bottom