TKR Doing great at 12 weeks, kicked by a horse...

Wishing you luck! I had PT twice a week, which was plenty (I kind of controlled what we did there anyway, but it was nice to get out of the house). :heehee:

Sounds like you’re doing really great! Getting out of the house is wonderful, both for the knee and the spirit. If only we could be sure Spring was sprung, but it being February... take advantage of the good days. And sleeping on your side this early! I couldn’t do it (more than an hour or so) for four months, but maybe that was because I had both knees done. One thing for sure, though, I really am enjoying side sleeping again! You’re ahead of the curve, so enjoy!
 
Yesterday I celebrated 6 weeks since surgery by taking a slow-but steady hike around our “river trail “(probably 1/3 to 1/2 mile), using hiking sticks and joyfully accompanied by our dogs. I am sleeping well most nights (still occasional tossing and turning), and only need occasional naps.
PT is going great, I have gotten a LOT out of it... feeling very fortunate! I go back to my surgeon later this week.
Best wishes to all on your healing journeys....
 
I remember how wonderful that first hike felt! Your being able get back to the things you love has got to be so uplifting! You go, girl!
 
Seven weeks today! The past week has been uneventful and I’m spending more time being active and on my feet. Last ROM measured at PT was 110 and -2, and I have little pain (Still occasionally at night after an especially active day, also taking Tylenol regularly). Surgeon was pleased, said to come back in six months :)
Today I took my first bath..... ahhh! I was so happy until it was time to get out- oh no! How the heck was I going to get out without kneeling, and suddenly it was slick and soapy amd I was scared?! Luckily, my husband spotted me, I was actually able to kneel, and I made it out safely. LOLOL.
 
That must have been scary, thank goodness your husband was there in case you needed him. Seems like that nighttime pain is the last to go, I’m still waking up around 4 am every night :alarm:
 
I don't wake up because of nighttime pain anymore. I wake up for potty breaks at least twice a night.:groan:
 
I’m afraid to try to take a bath. I have a deep garden tub with a high sides. I can’t kneel and definitely can’t bend enough to sit down in the tub. I’m happy you got to take a bath. I can’t wait.
 
@sistersinhim, bladder wake-ups are such pains! I usually get two/night. Added to that my relatively new knee = not much sleep! I woke up this morning at 4:00am (really 3:00 since I'm not used to daylight saving time.). Oh, well. I'll sleep tonight and try to not drink so much before bedtime!
 
Between the knee breaks and the potty breaks sleep can be very elusive! I still take naps sometimes after a restless night. Any sleep is a help!
 
I’m so glad I prefer showers over baths after reading others experiences! :heehee:
 
Yesterday I celebrated 6 weeks since surgery by taking a slow-but steady hike around our “river trail “(probably 1/3 to 1/2 mile), using hiking sticks and joyfully accompanied by our dogs.
I have hiking sticks as well and didn't think about using them outside. What a great idea! Especially since we still have some snow and ice on the ground in places. We are surgery buddies and you sound like you are doing great! I have up and down days but overall progress.
 
Seven weeks today! The past week has been uneventful and I’m spending more time being active and on my feet. Last ROM measured at PT was 110 and -2, and I have little pain (Still occasionally at night after an especially active day, also taking Tylenol regularly). Surgeon was pleased, said to come back in six months :)
Today I took my first bath..... ahhh! I was so happy until it was time to get out- oh no! How the heck was I going to get out without kneeling, and suddenly it was slick and soapy amd I was scared?! Luckily, my husband spotted me, I was actually able to kneel, and I made it out safely. LOLOL.

I did the same thing. But it hurt my knee coming out.
 
If you have any edges on the sides of your tub, you can push up with your arms and then scoot your butt up on the edge then stand up. That's how I do it. I still can't stand up from a sitting-in-the-tub position. Pushing up is the only way out for me, and I don't have any help here!
 
This was not the post I thought I would be writing next.... I was released from PT a few weeks ago (ROM 115/2) , and had been regaining my normal activities and stamina each day. I was increasing my steps, regaining strength and balance, taking short hikes, etc.... I felt ready to ease into riding again at three months post-surgery!
I rode my sweet new mule and my husband rode our daughter’s dependable aging gelding. We took it slow and easy around our farm, and my knees felt perfect (both mounting and riding). Toward the end of our ride, I steered my mount a little too close to my husband’s horse, and he (the horse!) freaked out and started kicking at us. My mount side-stepped and next thing I knew I was unseated with the wind knocked out of me, but feeling as if I was okay.
When I attempted to stand, I felt pain in my surgical leg (below Lefty) and noticed immediate swelling and a big bruise. I couldn’t stand, and realized I had been kicked before falling. Long story short, I was unable to get in to see my OS, but another Doctor saw me and diagnosed via x-ray a small fibula fracture (about 3-4 inches below my replacement) and a suspected cracked rib.
There was one suspicious area closer to the replacement that the doctor said could be either a bone chip or debris from surgery.... tomorrow I’ll be seeing the PA at my OS’s office (my OS recently had his own second knee replacement).
I’ve been having lots of pity parties this week, since I’m back on my walker, sleeping horribly, mainly from the rib and dependent on my husband’s help once again.... but I also realize that I was relatively fortunate and it could have been worse. The universe has funny timing, I’ve ridden horses all of my life and never been injured (and look forward to riding again!)
I hate that I’ll be backsliding due to needing to nurse the leg, but will be investigating chair yoga and other passive exercises. You never know....
 
Glad it wasn’t any worse. Take your time don’t rush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I know about sudden changes to what you thought recovery would be. You WILL get back on track. Do you think you will have proper pain management? If the fracture is that far below your replacement does this mean your replacement is secure?

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. It's good to give into the pity party. That way you can get it all out of your system, get up and then carry on.
 
@LuckyKY

I'm so sorry you had this accident. What a bummer!
I hope your leg heals well.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Yikes! What a story! I hope you get good news, some good sleep, and are soon back on track. As for your OS, wouldn't it be so much fun to get to see our OS in TKR physical therapy?
 
Oh no! That’s such a freak thing to happen while riding. I too love to ride and have never had something like that happen. Got run into a tree once... but never kicked. I’m glad it wasn’t worse. Bad enough, though. So have that pity party, because you had a whole lot of bad luck. :console2:

Here’s hoping your visit to the OS shows no problems. You’ve been recovering so well, and though a broken fibula will slow you down a little, it will heal too.
 
Back
Top Bottom