TKR Doing great at 12 weeks, kicked by a horse...

I’m still trying to imagine standing with no support other than my knees. That is going to be incredible.
Do you have any stairs you can use?
 
Surgery was two ago weeks today.... I’m recording some of this so I’ll remember for when I get Rightie done. I’ve taken no prescription drugs for three full days, relying instead on Tylenol and Tylenol PM and Naproxen. Also take 1 baby aspirin, 1 325 iron supplement, and a stool softener daily. Still using walker, but getting around without it in the kitchen and other places with handholds. Using the CPM machine 1-3 hours per day (up to 83 degrees and -5). Icing and elevating very frequently. Only exercise is a little bit of stretching, ADL and some “laps” around the house.
Only pain to speak of is at night, almost always starts around midnight and I end up going from bed to recliner. Still sleeping on my back (ugh). Last night, I was tempted to take oxycodone but didn’t want to feel groggy this morning... pain has subsided now.
Surgical dressing is still on, swelling and bruising is minimal from what I can see. I go to see OS on Wednesday and first PT consult on Thursday. All in all a good early recovery, I feel blessed and appreciate the great advice on here.
 
@LuckyKY , you are doing just like I have been almost at the same time frame. Weaning off the potent pain pills has been different for me this time compared to my left tkr in Dec 2016. I am happy that this one has gone so well.
You and I are dealing with the sleepless state....and it certainly is frustrating isn't it? Last night I couldn't even deal with sleep in the lift chair. Talk about a 'pain'!
Good luck with your Dr visit and Pt evaluation this week. You say you have your dressing on yet. I had the staples out in 10 days and that helped with mobility. I didn't take the cpm machine home with me either. You are a rockstar! Keep up the good work!
Isn't the process of healing so interesting as we all go through the aftermath of tkr. So many different processes by the surgeons.
 
Good report yesterday from the PA, dressing removed and incision looks healthy. Got the okay to drive, and am now using a cane rather than a walker.
Today I drove the 25 minutes for my first PT evaluation... felt okay but stiff when we got there, and I was a little nervous. This visit was mainly about baseline measurements.... ROM was 4/84 (And later she got a 92 by “helping” a bit. She said my patella feels very mobile, which is good. My ‘new” left knee measures smaller than my right (yet to be replaced but will also need it) which she said is uncommon. Hubby drove us home and I took a good nap! Another day of recovery done!
 
Wow, I didn’t drive until I was 10 weeks post op, and that was only because my husband had a special eye doctor appointment an hour away and had his eyes dilated.

I was off prescription pain medications at less than 2 weeks but still had some brain fog and I just didn’t feel I could concentrate on driving, as I was uncomfortable sitting in the car for a long while. I still have trouble finding a comfortable angle for my knee while driving!

And be careful letting that PT “help” your ROM. They can quickly get carried away. Don’t believe them when they say they have to do that. Been there, done that!
 
Was surprised to wear myself out after helping in the kitchen for just about 15 minutes on my feet! Hmmmm, how do I keep from completely losing all endurance/energy while I’m recovering? I have my first OS follow-up next week, followed by a PT evaluation.... Perhaps just try to do more walking around the house? (really cold outside and I’m still using walker for security)...
Good report yesterday from the PA, dressing removed and incision looks healthy. Got the okay to drive, and am now using a cane rather than a walker.
Today I drove the 25 minutes for my first PT evaluation... felt okay but stiff when we got there, and I was a little nervous. This visit was mainly about baseline measurements.... ROM was 4/84 (And later she got a 92 by “helping” a bit. She said my patella feels very mobile, which is good. My ‘new” left knee measures smaller than my right (yet to be replaced but will also need it) which she said is uncommon. Hubby drove us home and I took a good nap! Another day of recovery done!

I had surgery on the same days as you. Have had several PT sessions and still using a walker. No driving until I can do a straight leg raise on my own. Sounds like you’re doing great!
 
You're doing great! Your knee will be stiff after any kind of sitting for a bit, whether car or at a table, etc.. That goes away later on. Interesting about your new knee being smaller. I would say that means your right knee is swollen (mine were before surgery and are slimmer now, which is really nice) and that your left is doing very well indeed. :)
 
Yes, @SusieShoes , I’d say my right was more swollen than left... it needs replacement as well. All in good time!
Definitely overdid it today... drove 35 min to town, then a bank\property closing, and grocery shopping. Had planned to use electric cart, but there wasn’t one available. Was really starting to hurt during check out and still had to drive home...
Spent the afternoon in bed and will have a quiet evening of elevating and icing instead of having a friend over as I originally planned. Most of the time, Lefty is good to me when I’m good to her. She still needs my full attention and I need to remember that will be the case for some time!
 
Don't plan on doing anything tomorrow but icing and elevating. You did way too much today and tomorrow needs to be a recoup day!
 
Too soon. You should relax and be pampered a few more weeks
 
Thanks for checking on me, @Beckadeez ! It’s been a good week... I had my first 3 PT sessions, and was fine with how it went- there was a combo of exercises, bike, icing, massage, etc., and it never felt like too much pushing. Yesterday at PT, my knee measured at 100/2, just shy of a month since surgery. I drove 2.5 hours for a visit with my mom afterwards (Icing and stopping for a few stretches out of the car on the way), then had a somewhat active afternoon.... last night I had more swelling than I’ve had and had a horribly uncomfortable night . Yes, I know it was tooooo much, and I really miss my own bed and recliner! Today I have taken it very slow with lots of rest, elevating and icing.... will do the same tomorrow (except will be driving home...). Will try to continue to heal patiently this coming week... I’m SO ready for spring and have been envisioning long walks in nice weather.
 
It sounds like you’re doing well. I’m glad to hear. I can’t wait until Spring either. It’s my favorite season. Long walks sound nice.
 
LuckyKY, you are listening to your knee and learning what you can and can't do. Too bad we have to suffer when we overdo, but that's the way it is! Resting and icing after visiting the ODIC, just like you're doing, is the best way to calm down and angry knee!
 
Soooo happy today, I made it through the entire night in our bed and was even able to lay on both sides some of the time (I’m a side sleeper and had really been missing this)! It’s been four weeks since surgery. I’m looking forward to walking outside a little today (it’s supposed to be a record 80 degrees here in central Kentucky!).
I’ll be heading to a new PT place, the other one was “okay”, but there was an insurance problem with it. I’m honestly a little excited to change, as I was kind of locked in with one therapist at the other place and I also want to switch to twice a week instead of 3x weekly. Wish me luck!
 
I also want to switch to twice a week instead of 3x weekly.
You have the right to say how often you go to PT. Don’t let them tell you how often you “have” to go. The right PT can be useful but it is not necessary, you will progress fine without it. So go as often as you want. Best wishes!
 
Back
Top Bottom