Guest viewing is limited

Do I or don't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

You go, Gringo!!! You will do great!!! THAT'S the spirit!!! :)
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

The scars are a badge of courage! There are so many people these days with bad joints, they can actually start people talking about their own problems and offer an opportunity to help them be less afraid of getting surgery. It's happened to me several times since my surgery a little over a year ago.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

I guess if I were a 'leg model' I might look at it differently, but I am already pretty well marked with dozens of scars of various types already, and not just knees.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

I'm with you Gringo. Just add another one to the collection.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

I have to say NOW I have heard it all. I hope you are kidding. Anyone who would look at our scars and think they were anything but beautiful is, well, I don't want to be censored this late in the game. I am so proud of my scars. They have never been anything but beautiful to me because they represent an end of the pain. After almost a year you can barely see them, actually, the one where they put the drain in my right leg was always the most evident. I just feel I am fortunate to live in a time where this surgery is available and where the WWW brings us wonderful forums like bone smart with Jo and Jamie. Good luck. Rowdy
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Then let's give a cheer for the rest of us Bonesmarties,,,,,,scars and all!!! Love you, guys!!!!!
:)
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

I have to to admit something to you all. I was given this stuff to get rid of my BTKR scars. I refused to use it. They are my badges. I wear them proudly even with the one I use at work hehehe. I think they look cool. Kids refer to them as my fake knees.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

My brothers scar on his leg is so tiny. They did a fantastic job. When he comes down I will take a picture to show you all. You can hardly see it.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

At eight months you can hardly see my scar. It is a thread-like white line. I had no staples, so there's no "dots" on either side. I consider it a badge of courage and achievement in two areas. The first, of course, is that I had the knee replaced. The second is that I am diabetic, so you can tell the kind of control I kept over my blood sugar levels through the healing process.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Where are the knee photos? I watched that video of live TKR and that made me slightly nauseous..........
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Hi cant believe any one is worried about the scars for the tkr. As said I think we should be proud of them. They go after a while. I had mine done on 31st october last year. Honestly two thirds has almost dissapeared now. The bit above the knee still showing. I would go on beach with it now. Thats if I dont fall over in the sand. I am bit clumsy. oops. Also I have friends with far worse than a knee scar which can be hidden. We are lucky. Hope josephine you are improving. Read about your anxiety. I can relate to that so much. I have been dodged with that on and off through my life. Like you said comes out at stressfull times. Can be most unexpected and awful. lizzie. x
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Josephine, when they use an existing scar to cut for a TKR, do they basically trim the old scar off or do they just cut alongside it? I have had a fairly bad scar all these years from the ACL/MCL job. It's very noticeable, crescent shaped and about a quarter inch wide. It does tan, and of course we are always in the sun. I was wondering if they will add to that scar,or possibly trim it off and I might end up with less scarring than I have now.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

As a general rule and if the old scar is there they want the new incision, they'll excise the old scar as it doesn't have good healing properties.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

I asked the question about using a previous scar (and I have more than 1 to choose from) and the OS said no because of what Jo said he was worried it would not heal. In fact, he was also very worried about the last inch or so which crossed a previous one. Postop he kept checking it to make sure it did heal. The problem is the previous surgeries do interfere with blood vessels. There can also be problems with scar tissue. The OS had to work really hard to clear out the old scar tissue as it was.

Simon
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Gringo,

My right knee had been cut open three times prior to knee replacement. They were straight up and down incisions just like a tkr scar but didn't go up as high. The surgeon cut right along side the old scars. You can't really tell there are multiple scars lined up unless you are really looking for it. My knees rarely see the light of day so the tan issue isn't much of a problem for me. Karen
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Oh,the tanning isn't an issue. We don't seek it out, in fact we stay in the shade whenever there is shade to stay in. But living in shorts and t-shirts we get sun.
 
Re: Just looked at the knee photo's

Oh I realized that Gringo. I know living where you live, a tan just comes natural without even trying. I would be in shorts and T-shirts all the time too! I am very envious.
 
Right - here goes

Dear Bonesmarters,

I am going to my OS ( actually the registrar ) on tuesday ( Royal National Orthopeadic Hospital ) - i am more than likely going to take the plunge and opt for L TKR - given a following wind and a flood tide. I have of course read the "How to choose a surgeon and a prosthesis" but would also like to ask if there are any questions you would recommend me asking ie ones that usually come to mind 5 minutes after leaving the consultation and which you end up deriding yourself (for not asking) whilst hobbling home.
Kind regards
 
Re: Right - here goes

There are so many!

What type of knee
How many does he do
What is his success ratio
Does he use a ROM machine for PT
What type of PT does he do (in home or Hospital)
does he do revisions or will that be another DR.
Time in hospital
Time in rehab

I tend to whant to know everything and ask many questions that some would not care to know. The most important that I can think of was how many he did and what their success rate was. all of the rest is just FYI.

Max
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom