TKR DLR recovery #2

Lol thanks @SusieShoes yes moments of normal keep us sane and let us know there is something more than sleepless nights.
I would love to get rid of the calf and thigh pain, it is what drives me bonkers. The surgeon thinks it is probably some deep level bruising and swelling still to come out and not a dvt concern. I had told my husband if you go by symptoms of dvt every TKR has them..pain in calf or thigh, swelling in calf or thigh, heat...
It seems to increase by evening into night with shooting spasms.
Ah well, today was a good report, so we keep going encouraged by good healing
 
For the first several months after my TKR I half-suspected every new throb, twinge, ache, or ouch was due to something sinister happening to my knees. I guess a bit of paranoia comes with the territory!

Yes, nighttime seems to amplify these things. Maybe because we're tired and the poor soft tissues of our knees are tired and the pain just gets free rein. Plus some of the nerves in the skin keep trying to reconnect. Until they do, they can be quite persistent.

As long as you keep seeing things getting better, all is good!
 
Really bad day for pain in back of thigh. It is about a 1/3 of the way from knee to butt toward the inside. It also seems to spasms about every 15 minutes as if someone pushed a button to increase the stimulus. My husband asked me why I was twitching. Along with the pain my foot feels tingly and warm to the touch, in fact the whole leg is warmer than the non operated one. Elevating is getting difficult as it doesn’t like the pressure of the pillow on the back of the thigh, ice seems to trigger more spasms...Suggestions anyone ?
 
Would you tell me the areas of this pain using these charts? I've left both knee and hip because you said it was going up into your buttock

[Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
[Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
 
@Josephine

The butt pain is now minor but I will include it
SR2B (pain 2 to 3)
CRB2 ( this one and the following pain 4 to 8 if spasm)
BRB2
FRB2
FRF2

One other thought, I am knock kneed and the surgery has fixed the one knee. Could all the pain come from muscle/nerve realignment and change in gait. I am using 1 cane currently perhaps too soon? I used 2 crutches for the first 3 days home! Then 1 crutch and now the cane as of 2 days ago
 
I would be lost without my TENS unit. I got sciatica big time after my last knee. It was worse than the knee because pain pills didn't touch it. I had a TENS unit so I slapped it on my butt and it helps so much. I am having some sciatica on my right side this time and good old TENS to the rescue. I don't know if it would help you or not. Don't know if you are still going to PT but if you are they can suggest how to use it for your current problems.
 
Last edited:
just for positioning info for my back/butt.
Well there's no mystery to that! You just need to pinpoint the centre of your pain and then apply the electrodes around it. Like I've shown in the article - that's my knee shown! The focus of pain was where the blue and red lines cross.

[Bonesmart.org] DLR recovery #2
 
A good day, pain reasonable, a couple good walks outside, tens machine on back/butt... now relaxing elevating icing.
:ice:
 
Some days I just want to smack people...and then myself for letting them get in my head. Yesterday three times..First our neighbor watching me hobble with my cane..”looks like you’re almost back to normal” to which my husband replied “ yes she is doing well but is having a hard time sleeping so gets tired easily”...neighbors response “yes at our age everyone has that problem” :gaah:Not the same thing !!!

Another friend called to ask if I am working hard enough at recovery, he did steps leg over leg starting week one, it really hurt but he was back playing hockey at 5 weeks....I know he was, but I am not the same...but it makes me feel like a failure.

Plus 2 posts on fb about how pt is crucial and you have to push through the pain...:hairpulling:

I know from BoneSmart we each have our individual journey, I know I am seeing little improvements. I know I shouldn’t let them get into my head:banghead:

On a plus side yesterday I learned that if I don’t do the leg over the roll leg lift then I don’t get the terrible pain in the back of the thigh

Sorry for the rant, mostly at myself but I needed to get my head on straight:loll:
 
I agree with all you said! Been there, done that! Like how your husband added information that was not necessary, I do the same thing. :doh: I’m always, ALWAYS, sorry I didn’t just nod my head in agreement!

I suggest getting out of those Facebook groups. I used to belong to some of the weight watchers groups. I picked up a few tips but mostly it just annoyed me. I left Facebook 2 years ago and don’t miss it at all.

The biggest shock of my recovery was the comments from other people rating my recovery and telling me how to do it, especially after I found Bonesmart. :hairpulling:
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
Oh yes, most of us have been through those comments. I just smiled and nodded my head. I learned to do that way back in the 80s!
 
A good day, slow and easy, seeing little improvements. Walking outside for .5 km, have to go early as it is too hot humidex 37. Decided I felt good so attempted the stairs to our basement about 15. Going down led with bad leg, tried 3 times to lead with good, not ready yet. Got on the recumbent bike rocked back and forth for a while, managed to make 3 backwards revolutions by the end. Climbed up the stairs leg over leg with railings on both sides. Felt good not overdone..little accomplishments
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom