TKR DLR recovery #2

@Celle thanks you are correct +12 extension. I expect this wasn’t accurate that it is more like +5. Fortunately I am not worried about the numbers per se just found it interesting as it was the first time someone actually measured.
As for the stairs at 6 weeks I was able to go up stairs foot over foot but since I (as Josephine says) pranged my I T band at 7 weeks I haven’t been able to do it.
My biggest gain from my appointment yesterday is a significant reduction in pain. :yahoo:
 
DLR. I do not understand why the PT really push people to do stairs " normally.

Personally I think that doing squats or stairs foot over foot early must be really hard on the knee even if you don' t feel it right away.

I didn't do either last time until
my leg felt a lot stronger and I have never had episodes of really bad muscle or tendon pain like a lot of members have had to deal with.But also maybe I have been really lucky.:fingersx:

I am so happy to hear you are in less pain and feeling better.:loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
@Nigella2 i have been fortunate in that my pt have not pushed stairs, that was my own doing because it felt good (only going up).
 
I read an interesting article by an OS and while I don’t agree with all his thoughts I did find the ones on stretching interesting.
He said in the first 4 to 6 weeks when we do heel slides and ankle on roll to extend knee, he would rather see people do one stretch and hold it for a minute or longer than multiples held for 5 seconds. His reasoning is that all the bending of the knee that early increases swelling and inflammation. His premise is to focus on the two end points of extension and flexion by one long stretch and not aggravate the knee. He felt the in between movements happen with normal activity.
I thought it was interesting not sure what others think but gives me thoughts for the next knee.
 
I think that sounds very logical and will show your post to my next therapist.
 
Hi, @DLR (Diane),
Very sorry I have not written for awhile. Although I have been following your posts with great interest (and a number of others), I have been having such difficulty coping with the “ up-and-down” nature of this “ recovery” (I still need to put that in quotes) that I was sure whatever I wrote I was going to need to retract the next day.
One day, my knee cap stings like crazy. The next day, my shin burns madly. Two days later a painful numbness envelops the entire knee. All of these sensations are interspersed with up to twelve hours where I swear it doesn’t hurt as badly. So very confusing.... Am I getting better? Or did I just trade in my arthritic pain for a new sharper and varying burning? Were so many nerves cut that they will never “regrow” to make my knee cap feel half way normal again...or will it always feel like a mechanical object sewn inside my burning skin?
I so identified with your realization that the knee replacement is, indeed, more difficult than the hip! By this point with my hip I hardly was thinking about it, whereas my knee almost never lets me forget it!
For me, what is the most confusing is that I really can’t point to any cause when I have a particularly rough day. I swear I have had “good” (relatively) days following some PT which I thought might have pushed my limits; and I have had “good” days where I had skipped any PT. Same goes for bad days; I have done next to nothing and been in pain the next day and have done next to nothing and felt better! I do hope in this trial and error process of trying to determine my optimum approach to rehabbing this knee I succeed. But it is SO HARD to stay optimistic that you are getting better- when the minute you think that - something happens and you are in pain again.
Well, I guess now you can see why I haven’t written for a couple of weeks, my spirits are taking a pounding with the variability of this recovery and I just want the pain to STOP! Just tired of it!
Okay, there is my big whine- but I just know you understand! The best thing about this blog is that we all truly do know how this FEELS and husbands, friends, daughters might only be guessing...and sometimes can’t reach us in the way that all of the Bonesmarties can.
God love you, Diane! You help me so much with your very realistic but upbeat postings! I know deep down it will get better but I surely have realized some dark days in this recovery.
Take care. I’ll try to keep in better touch going forward.
Kathy
 
@Kathy0427 It’s so good to hear from you and you have perfect timing. I was having a little pity party last night, wondering if I will ever walk normally again, without some sort of pain or burning or swelling. I agree with the sentiment of wondering if we have traded arthritis pain for other pop up pain.
Thanks for reaching out my friend, we will make it through this. I keep trying to remind myself that even my OS said the first 6 months are full of moving pains, people tell him one week it is in one place and another week it has moved...so that means there is HOPE we are normal ;)
The other interesting fact I read on an OS blog (same one who wrote about stretching) he said bone scans show that bone growth continues and healing evidence shows up on TKR patients for 2 years after surgery...it’s a good reminder there is a lot of healing going on
Take care ...we can do this !
 
Yes, there sure is a lot of healing! So much healing. I’m still noticing more healing and improvement after 17 months. It’s little things at this point, but evidence that the body keeps on fixing.

When I look back, I realize how truly “early days” two months out of surgery is! Very early. You have lots of improvements coming your way, and will see great leaps forward.
 
healing evidence shows up on TKR patients for 2 years after surgery..
In spite of my less than optimal outcome at 19 months my leg is more relaxed in general than it has been since surgery and my bend continues to improve.
 
It sure is amazing the time difference from one persons recovery saga to another’s. My pain at 6 weeks is at a point where it rarely gets to 3 and then it’s only for a short period, mostly 0 to 1. Last night went to dinner and was amazed that after I finished eating I had not thought about my knee for that whole time , and believe me thinking about my knee pretty much consumes my daily thoughts lol. Hang in there and take the little victories as they come , and hopefully things will turn around shortly.
 
This is the first time in awhile that I’ve caught up on all your posts. I hadn’t gone back far enough to read about your pain. Sorry you’re going through all this and hoping it goes away very soon.
 
Thanks @Softtail and @beachy . I am realizing that part of my journey is impacted by the fact I have a hip replacement on the same side and that hip has been opened 3 times, the replacement,an infection and the revision. All those surgeries add up to weakened muscles and an IT band that gets irritated easily. PTis helping and today is a good day:)
 
Good pt session ROM 127/+6. Got another good accupressure massage and started some work on strengthening my quad using the shuttlemvp. Ended with tens machine and ice. My pt says she can feel a difference in the it band and a reduction in the deep muscle knots. Me, I feel a reduction in pain !
 
The other interesting fact I read on an OS blog (same one who wrote about stretching) he said bone scans show that bone growth continues and healing evidence shows up on TKR patients for 2 years after surgery...it’s a good reminder there is a lot of healing going on
@DLR - Please will you give us a link to this article?
 
Thank you for the link. I have passed it to Josephine and Jamie, for comment.
 
I remember one of the surgeons from California on JRAD saying that it is not uncommon for his active patients to take 2 years to heal or feel more normal . . .
 
Slow and steady wins the race. :)
 
Good week so far, walking without assists for the past 4 days. Meds are just arthritic Tylenol 2 tablets once a day, it helps mostly with my left knee until I can get it done. Just spent an hour cutting back hostas and winterizing the garden while my husband hauled out the snow tires (yuck). Now icing and elevating but feeling good about accomplishing something. I will be resting the next couple days as I have cataract surgery tomorrow..my husband says I am upgrading all my systems this year lol
Hope everyone finds a moment or two of joy today amidst the recovery journey
 
Good luck on your cataract removal!
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom