Guest viewing is limited

THR Discomfort on Standing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paddles10 Going back to yoga was my main concern before surgery ( well being able to walk and use the stairs were probably tops on the list!). My surgeon has been amazing...he sat with me at my 8 week check -up and reviewed about a hundred different poses with me, nixing a few forever, telling me to hold off on some for a few more months, and giving the green light on most. So I very confidently headed back to class last week only to be confronted more by my own fears than any restrictions he imposed - not to mention the amazing weakness in that leg. But I just got back from my 4 th class this morning, feeling much more gratitude for the slight improvements of this week and much more patience with myself! A major lesson in living with equanimity! Will you be able to return to your martial arts in some capacity? Wishing you the best for a peaceful recovery!
 
cnydutch I have it on good authority (sissy46) that you are a Sanibel enthusiast...heading down in a couple months...my reward for this surgery ( made the cottage reservations the same day as my surgery date)...any recommendations for kayaking, shelling, birding, eating, would be great! Sounds like your recovery is going well...must admit mine improved tremendously once I was off the Coumadin and could supplement my regular painkillers with a small, medicinal quantity of Bushmills!
 
Will you be able to return to your martial arts in some capacity? Wishing you the best for a peaceful recovery!
Already working with a Jo and some light kata. Modifying the forms due to the inadvisability of certain kicks is possible but at this point I am sticking to light tension hand forms to improve strength and balance. Really not so different than yoga. As the old man said: 'There are many paths up Mt Fugi but from the top the view is the same.' Peace.
 
I love your positive attitude Paddles.. If it can't be achieved one way, try another... I agree there are many paths to the destination :)
 
Vida, I hope you can heal and get better soon. I have had no real instruction from my Doctor, no physical therapy, nothing. I was told my physical therapy was to walk. I have gained some weight, which drives me mad, but other than that I think I'm on the same path to recovery.

Paddles10,I have been to the barn infrequently and it really bothers me. The horses are my responsibility. We have 1 stallion and 8 others that include 2 broodmares who will foal this year. 1 in April and 1 in June. Along with (2) 2 year olds that need breaking. The last day I rode was April 15, 2012. I had gone to watch some team penning at a near by farm and that was that. I went home and got on my horse and after 15 minutes couldn't move my left leg. So, I said the heck with it and rode for over an hour, knowing that would be the last time for a while. I couldn't get off the horse either because I couldn't lift my left leg at all. My husband had to pull me off on the right side ;)

I have been petrified thinking that I'm not going to get better than I am currently. Think about it, you get the hip done and you are up walking the very next day. I wasn't in pain like I was previously, but I was VERY uncomfortable. My pain rate prior to surgery was through the roof. I also had a cyst in my hip that would press against my nerves. I would lay on the couch at night and think I had to be dying because the pain was so sharp. I thought it had to be cancer. Sometimes I would kick something by accident and I thought I would pass out. I would stumble because of the cyst pressing on my nerves, I couldn't lift my leg up when I sat down, I had fallen once because I couldn't lift my leg up for a high step. I stumbled at a Christmas party at my husbands office and his boss asked me if I had too much to drink when I hadn't had anything. Thankfully that is gone. With all that being said, you just want to go back to the way you were. Just hurry up and get back to life. I'd say that was humbling!! I would watch people on TV walking, dancing, jumping, just living and you long to be able to do that. I just didn't realize how long it would take. I have never broken a bone or anything like that, never had a long recuperation from anything. I guess patience is key, be patient with yourself. Be patient with your family for not always understanding that although you may look like you are back to normal, there is more internal healing to be done. Little by little, day by day, one moment at a time. And today was better than any day I've had in such a long time. There were moments today that I forgot that I had this done. That, in and of itself, gives me hope.

Thanks for listening and advising. This blog is priceless <3
 
Qdulany, I edited your post so Vida & Paddles were tagged. Be sure you do not leave a space between the "@" symbol and the user name or the tag will not work.
 
Paddles, like you, I'm also 11 weeks post-op and I feel I've had a better than average trip so far. I also experience some stiffness and a little discomfort when I stand after sitting for awhile. It goes away after a few steps, so I'm not worried. My last visit to the OS office concluded three things:
a) at 12 weeks, I'll be 80% recovered and recovery will continue for some time. As far as motion (one of my goals was to be able to tie my shoelaces comfortably), I was told that the flexibility I have at the end of a year (next nov 13th) will be pretty much all she wrote.
I mentioned that the week before, I was relaxing watching TV and I noticed I had inadvertently crossed my operated leg over at the ankles.
This brought up the second item:
b) resume normal activities and
c) come back at my 12 month anniversary, call if any concerns.

This week, I shoveled snow and chopped some wood for the fireplace (temp was in the single digits), I know, a heat wave for some of you hearty types, but single digits are cold for me.
 
Yes: we are coming along very nicely for Novembers! I lashed out and bought a very cheap stationary bike from Walmart-- even got it delivered. Mr.Vida cursed a bit but did eventually put it together. It has a big comfy seat too so no bicycle 'bum.' I am completely in love with this thing and what it does for my new hip and bad knees. I feel no pain when cycling. Am only on level 1 but am up to 30 mins a day and will increase very slowly. I think that combined with the walking, the cycling is better for me than the intensive physio I've been getting, which has proved somewhat problematic pain-wise. It has taken me a while to learn that everyone is a little different.
 
I spent August and part of Sept. on my back doing nothing but trying to find a Doc I was comfortable with. I have the luxury of a 7 year old who just 'knows' how I feel. Crawled on him and walked for an hour just to be on. Even though he was ready to jump out of his skin he humored me. My wife acknowledged that he's earned a place here for ever. I had written to Nick Skelton n '11 as I had seen him gimping around at a show and knew he'd been through what I was contemplating. Watched him jump in London. If he can do that we can probably do just fine in our little worlds. :)
Just a little work every day with an eye on getting a bit farther. We'll be on by June, probably quicker for you. The ponies tend to keep us honest and motivated.

limpingaround Sounds like you are doing well. Flexibility will continue to be an issue I think. I have doubled up on the stretching and make sure I warm up before I do any of the PT prescribed exercises. It is hard to conceive of this as a workout, but everything is relative and I have definitely slipped to the weaker end of the scale. I chopped our wood during the summer so I have avoided that 'pleasure' since Nov. I am pretty sure my doc is very conservative and he thinks I'm an animal so the whole resume normal activity is a way down the road. I look forward to that day. In the meantime I've found you folks to help me keep this in perspective.
 
cnydutch I have it on good authority (sissy46) that you are a Sanibel enthusiast...heading down in a couple months...my reward for this surgery ( made the cottage reservations the same day as my surgery date)...any recommendations for kayaking, shelling, birding, eating, would be great! Sounds like your recovery is going well...must admit mine improved tremendously once I was off the Coumadin and could supplement my regular painkillers with a small, medicinal quantity of Bushmills!
Annie i have been there once, and love it! we spent a few nights there 2 falls ago, and will go back when i get
a chance. No paddling for me, but the wildlife preserve is awesome for birding! sissy probably paddles around
out there.lol
 
cnydutch Cool avatar!
I was told the wildlife drive through Ding Darling will be closed from May 1 to October 1, for paving the bumpy road. I liked it better when it was dirt, and potholes would fill with water and the gators would wallow in them. Progress. But anyway, you might want to check before going next fall. I'm hoping to go the first or second week of October; always risky that time of year due to hurricane season, but the rates are low then.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Discomfort on Standing
Hope things are continuing to go well with you with little improvements day by day.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Discomfort on Standing
Hope things are continuing to go well with you with little improvements day by day.
Good day. First time unaided 3x15 reverse lunges. Second visit to PT tomorrow to adjust torture and get new exercises, maybe stick with some of the old? Wish me luck!
 
Good luck paddles, don't let the PT push though... The 'no pain no gain' saying does not go with hip replacement recovery

Let us know how you go :)
 
I have to ask :)

I am trying to get through this "dealer school". I'm not sure if it's me or it's the healing process. I find that I do good for a few days, lots and lots of procedures that are simple, but I keep forgetting. I'm exhausted on top of it and when I do wrong, I get very stressed. I never knew that doing math in my head all day could be so hard. Easy math, but math just the same. When I come home after 4 hours of standing and over an hour of driving, I am flat out fried. Am I just expecting too much? It doesn't hurt to stand that long, I just get tired. My ankle is swollen when I get done but am hoping that in 8 weeks when the class is over I'll be ok standing 8 hours. Too much too soon?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Discomfort on Standing
Qdulany, I would say that energy drain is still in effect even at 3 months post op. It should begin to improve even more as more time goes by. So it is quite possible that by the end of the 8 weeks you'll be able to stand for 8 hours without feeling "fried".


Maybe a bit too much at this point---but you can compensate by resting as much as you can and elevating and icing for the swollen ankle. I think returning to more "normal" activities is always a bit stressful when we've been away from it for a while. Things should begin to even out for you before too long.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Discomfort on Standing
 
I have to ask :)

I am trying to get through this "dealer school". I'm not sure if it's me or it's the healing process. I find that I do good for a few days, lots and lots of procedures that are simple, but I keep forgetting. I'm exhausted on top of it and when I do wrong, I get very stressed. I never knew that doing math in my head all day could be so hard. Easy math, but math just the same. When I come home after 4 hours of standing and over an hour of driving, I am flat out fried. Am I just expecting too much? It doesn't hurt to stand that long, I just get tired. My ankle is swollen when I get done but am hoping that in 8 weeks when the class is over I'll be ok standing 8 hours. Too much too soon?
I agree 4 hours standing is quite a bit. I know I'm not there. I was out in the tack room the other day sanding some moldings. 2.5 hours and I was toast. Still got my exercises done but that is small change. The mind thing is consistent as well I'm doing an extension course from Edinburgh. Things are not clicking as they should so I'd say I'm with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom