Ankle Dingo dad in recovery from TAR

Has anyone found that the "surgeon locator" tab on our site is working/not working? I just tried it and it is taking me to a bonesmart app (google).
Thanks for highlighting this. I'll report it to the techies!
 
October 14....Surgery date August 26. I noticed I was able to wiggle my toes a week ago! Yea...simple things! Had my 1st physical therapy intro and excersize.
I am happy with my pt, he seems cool as do the rest of the staff. Thanks to bonesmart, I kinda knew what to expect and the things yall shared. "do the therapy, but FEEL when to stop" . As I progressed this week, I learned that I quickly passed "when to stop". Sore is ok, large pain is not. Well, I overdid my instructions through the day and hurt all evening and night. My PT told me to stop using my wheelchair and only walk. I mistook that and walked barefoot in the house. bad decision! I'm going to you my "moon boot" when I walk and alternate with my w-chair. With the bottom of my foot totally numb, I can't feel the difference between sore and pain.
He wants non weight excersize 3x daily. But I'm not able to walk AND excersize. Maybe in a week or so. I have to return to work on 17 November. I have a great and considerate employer so that is not a worry. Going to a party today, driving, waking etc... I will try to take it real easy and be aware of swelling, nerve pain etc...thanks everyone. jery
 
Tibial Tunnel Syndrome!!!
I have had it since my TAR...
My surgeon finally told me yesterday.
Planned surgery to release the nerve on Monday October 30. My TAR was done on August 16, 2023.

As I have written about before, I have had stabbing, sharp, shooting pain throughout my post-op recovery. I have had total numbness in the bottom of my operated foot. Pain scale "miserable" 4 weeks post op. Surgeon diagnosed nuerpathic pain. Prescribed gabapentin. After getting the correct dose, a lot of the pain was manageable for 4 hours after dosage.(note-my dosage was 600 MG 3x daily. Was at 900mg breifly) But... was still pretty horrible in evenings and night. I may have had 3 nights non-waking sleep post-op. Probably had 2+ weeks of P.T. After some improvements range of motion, the nerve pain would crush me at night. Doc reminded to continue excersizing after the surgery to keep scar tissue from trapping the nerves again. So glad I didn't only take the "physical therapy may help the nerve pain" advice from the therapist. It was well intended though....
I really hope that the surgery is successful in restoring feeling to the bottom of my foot. It makes walking very difficult and has set back my recovery quite a bit, I think. I will update post-surgery....
 
Here's hoping the surgery is successful and relieves your pain. Best wishes for Monday.
 
@dingo dad I just caught up with your recovery story. I’m sorry you’ve had such a difficult and painful time. I hope the nerve release surgery goes well and has the desired effect.

The nurse who assessed my wound today said that when I am allowed to weight bear as soon if I get a throbbing effect I will have done too much and to rest and elevate immediately.

Good luck on Monday!
 
@dingo dad . Glad to hear you've got a plan to relieve that pain. Ouch! I was diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel syndrome some time ago. Then it got a bit better and had one surgeon say it thought it was a misdiagnosis. I didn't have the pain, but more like a silver dollar sized numbness on the bottom of my foot.

After my TAR, I still have some numbness but that's not unlike other areas with weird nerve stuff still going on. Which is the least of my issues now trying to get the swelling down and range of motion back.

Good luck!!
 
Tarsul tunnel syndrome update.
Had the surgery Oct 30. I'm out of commission again. Very big sugerical area, painful. I message the doc twice about continued nerve pain and numbness. I attached his response. He is suggesting I may have CRPS and suggested I go to a "pain management clinic". I am gutted. must return to work next week. but I'm not cleared to be weight bearing until the wound is healed. Hope they will remove sutures if all is well. He had me at physical therapy 6 days post op, it is necessary to keep scar tissue from binding the nerve bundle. But the therapy wrecked my ankle. The site is wrapped with bandage, so my foot swells red/blue in 1 minute if it is down. So I must elevate. The therapy made this worse but I am confident that this will get better soon. Brilliant news, sorry to be a bummer. (sad sot- British translation?) I have a consult with another ortho. And my insurance team is helping with specialist review, that will be online. they'll review my previous ortho records and images. happy about that... best regards to all. jery
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Dingo dad in recovery from TAR
    Screenshot_20231107_145207_Samsung Internet.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 88
@dingo dad Bummer. Really sorry to hear about your ongoing pain and the frustration that comes from not knowing what's going on!

For me, the TTS wasn't notably painful it just felt uncomfortable, like I had a silver dollar under the ball of my foot. When we were trying to diagnose it some years back, the foot and ankle specialist sent me to a neurologist and they came back with the TTS diagnosis after a series of tests with electrodes in multiple locations on my lower leg and foot. So, not sure if you'd benefit from seeing a neurologist, but that's what my path was. Hang in there!.
 
Good luck with the second opinion. I hope they find a way forward for you.
 
Hi there, I saw your message. I was diagnosed with complex regional pain syndrome around 25 years ago, needed treating very differently to the original & successful surgery. It's a trauma injury & can go on a bit. If your wanted to chat about this do ask more
 
Hey y'all. Recovered from trarsul tunnel reduction surgery- no improvement in nerve function. Per my surgeons text message, I don't think that i "may have have crps or rsd". surprisingly he referred me to a "pm&r" (physical medicine&rehabilitation) she did "EMG" (Nov 14)test on the sciatic nerve. She could not do the ankle because of swelling but confirmed that the nerve was ok up the leg. She then ordered a MRI (at lower lumbar nov 22. A month? passed before I should get a result. Then the appointment scheduler called (nov 27)with the result- no problem and said if the nerve isn't trapped in the pelvis are then then the nerve may have been affected/damaged when anesthesia installed the pain pump after the surgery (aug 16)She then scheduled a 2nd MRI, pelvic area for Dec 17. Ok, my head is officially spinning around in circles. So all the burning/shooting pain and total plantar foot numbness has been since Aug 16! The TTS surgery was unnecessary etc... Gutted still.. I had a 2nd opinion ortho (nov22) really good folks and Dr. Took images, ankle/bone looked good. He actually reviewed x-rays with me. (yes,I'm switching Drs) My pt told me that I have to be be walking without aid. I'm back at work 4 hrs on 4hrs at home. Here is where I could use some feedback from others. My foot/ankle is really painful/swollen and flexibility is stiff. Is this because I'm full weight load bearing the ankle? Unable to elevate leg and still function at work. All this set back and pain because of the complications due to loss of nerve function post-op Aug 16. "Every recovery is different" for sure. jery
 
Hi @dingo dad Sorry I'm unable to answer your questions but it's no wonder your head is spinning with all you have gone through and all the varying information you have been given. Great that you have found a second opinion doc that gives you some confidence. Best wishes for your onward recovery.
 
The TTS surgery was unnecessary etc.
I would put it differently - the TTS surgery was unsuccessful. Unfortunately it happens. Your surgeon was exploring all aspects. This just was not the solution.
My pt told me that I have to be be walking without aid.
Your PT should not be deciding when you stop using any walking aid. When you are ready, you decide to stop using any aid. Since you are back to work, I can well understand why you still need an aid.
My foot/ankle is really painful/swollen and flexibility is stiff. Is this because I'm full weight load bearing the ankle?
Are you on your feet at work? If you are unable to ice and elevate the swelling will not be controlled. Can you extend the work from home time to allow for elevation and icing?

I'm glad you changed surgeons. What does your new surgeon say about the possible nerve damage?
 
That’s a lot going on for you and I’m sorry things aren’t improving. I’m obviously no medic but if it was me and full weight bearing was making things worse I think I’d use some aids to take some of the weight off it. What does your new doc think?

Just a thought …… might hydrotherapy help? You may be able to do more when supported by water but only if the wound has healed. It might be worth checking it out. In the info I was given by the hospital they suggested hydrotherapy as did the first surgeon I saw.
 
This sounds so much like my July 25,2023 left reverse shoulder replacement surgery
Jan 2 still paralysis in my left hand and burning tingling stabbing pain 24/7
My surgical team has said nothing left they can do after Oct exploratory surgery on left elbow
2 EKG’s MRIs Bone scans steroid infusions
Whole new team of Doctors and Pain Management Specialists
Now they are suggesting RSD
One of the treatments suggested stellate Ganglion Block in my neck to calm the nerve ! My opinion is that the Nerve Block preOp is what caused the problem
In OR I experienced a sensation of burning pain shooting down my arm I wanted to jump off the table ! When the nerve pump was removed 4,days later the pain and numbness in my hand were still there and I have not had a moment of no pain since
I’m lost. No idea what to do next
I’m on mega doses of gabepentin
meloxican tramadole
They don’t help
Oh well sorry for the long vent. I did see some where that another person thought the nerve block might be responsible
I reported my memory of block to everyone!
They were “surprised “ that I “remembered” that sensation
I’ll nerve forget it ! One Dr told me that sensation was “normal”
Happy New Year
 
I'm 9 years postop for TAR. My surgeon told me from the start not to complain till after the first year. After the first year, I didn't limp anymore. I have no regrets about having the surgery. I still have a little bit of nerve issues but overall, it's much better than the pain I was in before.
 
Well I’m 5 months in I also was told in a year we would know the outcome
It’s very frustrating because I can’t wear anything except pants that I can pull up with one hand. Can’t open pill jars cut my food
I’m 5 days a week at a doctor office. In PT or OT or acupuncture or any other suggested treatments. It’s a full time job. Lucky I’m old
 
Hello @Babsblue, and welcome to BoneSmart.

Please start a recovery thread for yourself so we can learn more about you and share ideas and information that may help. You can start a thread here by going here: https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/other-joints-forum.125/
and clicking on the orange Post Thread box on the right hand side of the page.

Looking forward to learning more about you!
 
Hey y'all. Just got back from a late evening walk with my blue healer aka "dingo". it's been some weeks since I checked in. I fired my pt just before Christmas, after a final inappropriate comment. A friend said to me "you've enough pain to deal with in your ankle. you don't have to deal with more from a person". though I've had 2 other surgeries, I guess I'm 5 months POST TAR. I am slowly regaining some feeling on the bottom of my foot. Not "pleasant" feeling, but some nerve reactions. It may be sign of nerve regrowth. Still pretty dead feeling but rubbing on carpet cause light shooting nerve action. Still no feeling in my toes. Walking has become "bear-able". got some "altra, via olympus" shoes that are the only thing I can wear. Every step is uncomfortable but not super painful, or I'm just getting used to it. I am using a cane most days and can go about 4-6;hrs at work before a have to get off it. But I can push it with only a few hours rest. that's progress. As far as the plantar nerve, I think it was caused by the anesthesia nerve block. Doc agrees... mri's were negative on spinal impingement of the sciatic nerve. My mental patience with the whole thing is pretty spent. Starting from June 1 til now feels like I long harsh ordeal. A lot of hard work and challenge. cheers to all. jery
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom