update?? Saw my 2nd opinion doc in March. Both he and the attending nurse said that I do have CRPS along with nueropathy. I am currently 9 months post TAR. Stopped gabapentin 1.5 months ago. it was so helpful 1 month in from surgery, that nerve pain was excruciating until January or so. But it made me quite feel quite disassociate. memory fuzz, just felt "not bright" at all. The mental/psychological effect of my recovery has kicked my butt. hard!! This is, as many have said, can be a crucial part of recovery. Especially when having a very difficult recovery. I cannot stress that enough. I wasn't prepared for this. I'm not saying it's all behind me now, cuz I reckon I'm still another 6-months or a year out in where my fuction might be. Anyway, I'm working 8 hrs per day, dealing with general fatigue, but manging. I get around ok with a cane, that takes some of the load off my ankle and offers stability. Some feeling has returned to my toes and hopefully that improves my functioning. I stepped on my vacuum cord the other night and that was crazy painful. Even a speck of something on the floor will shoot big pain up through the bare foot. I wear a compression sock still every day. helps with swelling. it's difficult to figure where my recovery would be if I didn't have the nerve problems. I can walk a good bit 1mile or so, with the right shoes. The wrong shoes make my toes scream. I am able to do chores, lit heavy stuff and manage physical "straight-line" things. Motivation to push through the pain and do things that are good for me is improving. Coping with my recovery is like coping with a disability... just doesn't get easier quickly. So... if I am doing anything "better" it is trying to chill out the expectations and being kinder to self.
jery