Guest viewing is limited

THR Did Your Hip Deteriorate Quickly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do know what you mean, DeDe. Although I usually feel like the trigger point massages are a "good" pain...except when the therapist is just a bit too aggressive. I find I have to back off a therapist around the neck in particular....too much trigger point there, and I hurt for days after. NOT good! But I have this area in my shoulder blades that always longs for a deep tissue massage.

Annie, hope you get a PT who gets it just right. :)

Sharon
 
When I was training for my natural medicine qualification, one of the modalities was to learn the techniques of massage. So agreed to come along as my patient, however I said, if I have to do it why don't you.. so he went through the entire course and even liked it so much he went onto to massage some of the famous footy clubs and the girls olympic basketball team... do I get massages now... well I am sure you all know the answer to that.. NO!

We have a fantastic massage table, so once again roll on retirement when there is more time.

I agree with you dede62; I can only tolerate a very light massage, one up from Swedish, and no trigger points :)
 
Hello all - 3 weeks out and doing very well, but curious - has anyone else noticed a clicking or popping feeling in your new hip - not the sound, but the actual feeling? No pain involved, but a little disconcerting, or is this normal? Seems to occur with just a slight twist, but I don't have any twisting precautions, so it surprised me. Thanks for ny responses!
 
Uh, sorry guys, should have searched on this first - I see it's pretty common - just unnerved me as it was also happening prior to surgery...so sounds like it may take time to resolve...
 
That's quite alright Annie. I am often guilty off looking for my car keys while having them in my hands. Don't you just hate that. Hope your popping and clicking are a temporary thing.

Tammy
 
LOL Tammy, I wish I could blame this tendency on the pain meds but it seems to have preceded them by about 10 years!
 
Hi Annie, hope things are going better with the pain. I also had RTHR (13 Nov). I guess I'm lucky becuase my pain is totally gone. My stitches came out at 10 days. I've been on coumadin long term (>6 yrs) for issues unrelated to my hip. While 6 is outside the normal range, the advice you've gotten sounds spot on. I once overdosed (it was about 15) and had to go to the hopital for treatment (vitamin K injection). Since my RTHR, my level has been fluctuating also, so my daily intake has been adjusted several times. Good luck, it'll get better and keep us posted.
 
Maybe the popping won't actually go away but you get used to it so it kind of slides off your radar!
 
limpingaround Sounds like you're doing great! Things are improving slowly but surely here; IT band inflamation is settling down, blood levels have been consistent the last few times, and pain is getting better - but wow, NO pain 2 weeks out for you? That's amazing! Yoga is my love and talked to my PT today about starting to work back to some of my favorite poses, so all of this seems like a huge gift, pain and all! Best of luck on your continuing speedy recovery!
 
Hello all, 6 weeks out today and wanted to give an update, especially for those awaiting surgery with some anxiety. This is the best gift you will ever give yourself ( with just a little help from those orthopedic people!). Started driving at 4 weeks, able to put on socks and shoes as well, took a bath today - what a luxury! Can walk a mile comfortably, done with pain meds except Alleve, hip feeling much less like it is made out of wood, my PT is helping me begin my journey back to yoga. Had a scare at 3 weeks when I developed a staph infection, not on the wound, but near it...it has FINALLY resolved ...then last week had the skin cancer surgery that I'd put off until off the Coumadin...bunch of stitches and bandaging again, but all is clean...have resolved not to donate any further body parts this year! When I do my walks, my previously 'good' hip is now the bad one. Know a second surgery will be coming up soon, as I have 'rapidly progressive OA' and the process has already begun in the other leg, but all I can do is be SO GRATEFUL to have a condition that can be fixed so miraculously! Talked to my class this week by speaker phone, and I am ( almost) looking forward to going back to work after the holidays...
So many thanks to all on this site, and if you are new and nervous, know it will be worth every bit of it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Did Your Hip Deteriorate Quickly???
Great report, Annie. So good to hear that you're getting back to your "real" life and looking forward to work after the holidays. Take care of yourself, and don't be a stranger. Let us know what's going on from time to time. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Did Your Hip Deteriorate Quickly???

 
Hi Anne, welcome to the "other side". Like you, I stopped drugs for pain because I wasn't in any and they were making me sick. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and was discharged on the 4th day. I've taken coumadin for several years. Also like you, my INR (international normalized ratio) was high and they had me skip a day and get retested in a week (home visiting nurses). Not being a Dr, please take what I say with a grain of salt, but 6 is not so high you need to go to the hospital. I overdosed once, my INR was 15 and I was hemmorhaging so I went to the ER that day. Also keep in mind that each individual has specific dosing so what is good for me will not necessarily be good for you. I've also read that as you get older, you don't need as much. It took me a little over a week to get my INR on track (2-3). Also, those with more intelligence please correct me, but a rather simplistic explanation is that the coumedin doesn't make the blood thinner, it depletes active vitamin K, necessary for coagulation.

Good luck, your on an incredible journey.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well! I think the Coumadin scared me mostly because my Mom died after hitting her head while on Coumadin - she had bleeding into her brain that couldn't be stopped...always been afraid of that drug...but my levels settled down quickly after that incident, and now have been off it for 2 weeks...getting rid of that and the stockings definitely marked a turning point for me! Was your ER
visit during your hip recuperation? That must have been really tough, no matter when it was...are you still progressing well with your rehab? Isn't this great? Occasionally now I find myself doing something without thinking that I'd lost the ability to do because of the arthritis...feels like a miracle to me...a second shot at a normal life!
 
Happy New Year to all! New question: Has anyone on here been diagnosed with 'rapidly progressive OA' of the hip? That was my diagnosis as my hip went from an annoyance to disabling in about 9 months with almost total loss of joint space. Now I am feeling the same initial symptoms in my other hip. I meet with my surgeon in a week, but wanted to know if anyone has experienced this condition. I'm most concerned about the progression in the second hip - does it usually go as fast? Trying to make some travel plans for the summer, actually the same ones I had to cancel last summer due to my right hip, but wondering if it is very silly to even think about it. Would appreciate any info anyone has.
 
Jamie. Jamie...would you mind changing the title of my thread? Looking for anyone else diagnosed with rapidly progressive osteoarthritis of the hip...my left hip is now having having very similar symptoms as my right did, and getting a very sinking feeling about it, as I just NEED to wait at least a year to have the second hip done because of my job...wondering if anyone else has this condition and how quickly the second hip progressed? My right one went from 0 to 60 in about 9 months; my surgeon says this may go as fast, might not, but I don't know anyone else with this diagnosis...would love to hear from anyone who does.
 
I changed the title for you. But since you're talking about your other hip, why not pose this question in a new thread in the pre-op section? You might receive some comments that way as well.
 
I had OA in right hip which developed slowly over many years. The left hip decided to join in but it progressed very quickly over a matter of weeks it became agony like a red hot poker rammed into my hip all the time. I have had my RTHR waiting for date for left one.
 
Elosarabrab Dag, that rapid decline is just so scary...I guess I'm just in limbo right now...I'd have the second one in a heartbeat if not for my job...it will be a major hassle to take another extended leave in less than a year...how are you doing? You are about a month after me...please keep in touch about your second surgery...really appreciate hearing from you!
 
My operated leg is healing well. I am being held back by the left which still needs the surgery. I have my post op check on Jan 31st 2013. I hope to find out then when my other op will be. They origionaly said 3-4 months between surgeries depending on how the recovery goes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom