THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Thanks all, there will be pics!

Yes @Boofit , thanks for asking, I am back to all my usual ringing. It’s great to be back, but I am not quite as obsessively keen as I was before the lengthy lockdown interruption. This is just as well, because it will be difficult to combine with a young pup. I have already cancelled plans for several outings in late September through October. And the local puppy classes are on Sunday mornings!

Once the puppy has grown up a bit, my husband and I will take turns to mind or ring, and at some point dogsitting may come into it. We have rung with people who bring their dogs along and have them sit in the corner during the ringing. This requires a very well trained dog ( which I hope to achieve, but not counting on it!) and, since a lot of ringers are very uncomfortable with the dogs but too polite to say so, an extremely thick skin on the part of the owner (which I don’t have and don’t aspire to).
 
Dear @Klassy you must have manifested your future dog by putting his picture as your avitar! I am so excited for you and can't wait for the pictures. Post lots of puppy pictures please so I can live vicariously through your experience. I pet a huge yellow lab today who was so cute and he was pressing himself into my legs and I thought oh boy I am still not ready. But hopefully soon. So glad you are doing well.
 
Hip update. Well, what would a hip recovery diary be without the odd little diversion? Yesterday evening I was casually walking from garden to house when almost 8 month old Righty, who has been totally well behaved for months, emitted a series of sharp pains. They felt like they were right in the joint, and continued after I stopped moving. I lay down with an ice pack and the feeling went away.

Then I woke up at 4 am, which is normal for me and my wretched bladder. But this time was different: the hip pains were there again. I had been lying on my left side. I rolled over to lie on my right side and the pain went. I may of course have dreamed this. Weird things happen to my brain at 4 am.

No pain today, so I am hoping it was a one-off. Or a two-off, if the 4 am was real.

A couple of things might have upset Righty. I had a longer than usual walk with one of my borrowed dogs. And then my husband and I lingered over dinner in the garden, sitting on our rather uncomfortable metal garden set.

Time to shop for some new garden furniture methinks.
 
a longer than usual walk with one of my borrowed dogs
Is it possible that you are holding your body differently when you walk the dog? Or did the dog (or you) pull on the leash It doesn't take much to upset our alignment.

I'm glad the pain is gone and hope it doesn't recur. :dogwalk:
 
@Klassy I definitely understand that sitting on a hard uncomfortable chair might irritate poor hippy. I always carry my cushion when I go out because nine out of ten the chairs outside are super uncomfortable. I am glad that it was a two off as you said....
 
@Klassy, sorry to hear about your "odd little diversion". Hope you are now back to normal.:friends:

I went for my 12 week post-op appointment on Friday, and had to sit for around 6 hours on hard benches/chairs (waiting for Xrays, and then waiting for doctor's appointment and then at hospital's pharmacy for 6 months' medication), so ended up feeling quite sore ...

I think @Snoopy55 's suggestion is good - I will carry a cushion next time I have a doctor's appointment.

I feel at my current age, I am spending more and more time in various doctor's clinics:heehee:
 
A puppy! We had a cockapoo, she was so smart and athletic. Such a nice thing to look forward to.

Sorry to read about your sudden sharp pains.. I am guessing and hoping it's the right guess, that your body is still making adjustments as you heal and progress.
 
Last edited:
Yes @benne68 you are right. Plus when I think about it, since some welcome rain replenished my water butts, I have been lugging water buckets round the garden. Previously I was only filling the bucket to one third full, but the water level has been creeping up as I got complacent. Quite reasonable for Righty to remind me that she is still a youngster.

@Boofit , sorry to hear about your marathon sitting session. I too have been loitering in various clinics far more often lately. Old age, eh. But as they say, better than the alternative. @Snoopy55 has a great suggestion about the cushion carrying.

@CricketHip yes, enjoying the anticipation. Husband and I went for a stroll round our local pet emporium. That was a first! Such places did not exist the last time I had a new pet. What a proliferation of toys and treats and accessories both essential and totally frivolous. We enjoyed it greatly once we got used to the smell. Dried tripe and bull testicles, yum!
 
Phew, it has been quite a day. I have added to my borrowed doggy collection: I now have a menagerie a trois. Only one at a time though! The latest addition, Eric (yet another old bloke name!) is a lively young labradoodle. His owner had a medical appointment today so my husband and I had Eric for a full 12 hours, and he barely stopped the whole time. I clocked 17,000 steps! Righty has never done so many steps in a day, indeed I don’t think Lefty has either. Eric of course did a whole lot more, but since he doesn’t have his own smartphone we’ll never know how many.

All the bits of my body held up ok, and I am still looking forward to my own puppy!
 
17,000 steps…WOW! Good for you, Klassy.
Happy Eight Month Anniversary a couple days early. Have a lovely weekend. :)
@Klassy
 
Boy, they aren’t kidding about puppies causing sleepless nights! I have barely slept a wink tonight.

Not the puppy’s fault of course. It’s still two days till we collect her.

I may be just a tad overexcited.
 
Klassy,
Can't wait to see new pup! How exciting and you won't be getting much rest that's for sure.
We dog sat Jack (David's daughters dog) two weekends ago, he's a 7 year old black lab, enjoys a walk but fairly easy to take care of. I went along for the walks but I am not up to holding leash on 80 pound dog and having that dog decide to chase a squirrel!
Don't overdo, but enjoy your new addition.:dogsniff:
 
Here she is
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Diary of my journey to happy times
    ECFF77AF-94D9-49DD-87F3-1879CBB4531D.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 98
Oh what a little lovey she is! She's so adorable, Klassy!
Someone is going to be very spoiled. You're going to have so much fun with her.
Does she have a name yet?
@Klassy
 
@Layla , her name is Tula.

The first night went well. I slept downstairs with the crate on the floor next to me, and she didn’t cry at all. Toilet training is not progressing quite so well (massive understatement!), but this is a hip forum not a puppy forum so I will spare you the details. Husband and I are happy and I think Tula is, and that is all that matters for now.

I’ve always been very careful to stay anonymous on this forum (plus you folk are all so youthful looking and smartly turned out in your photos) but what the heck, time to peep out from the shadows. So here is me with Tula. I am the one who needs a haircut.

Love to you all xxx
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Diary of my journey to happy times
    F852332D-271D-4E92-A77F-8B492F209125.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 106
Aww, Tula, so sweet!
It's nice to see your pretty face and associate a name with a face. I think you're safe here, but I certainly understand the desire for anonymity.

How wonderful that she slept well, she's obviously comfortable with you and hubs. Now for the potty training part, hopefully it doesn't take too long. What a fun weekend getting to know your sweet pup. Enjoy!
@Klassy
 
@Klassy Sooo happy for you (and Tula)! Both of you look sweet in the photo:wink:
I think Tula will be taking you on her walks soon to get you exercising the hips:heehee:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom