THR Diary of my journey to happy times

Rightie’s 8 week anniversary!

Now this is spooky.

I was about to tell you that today I changed the bed all by myself for the first time since the second THR. But first I had a search through this thread to see when Leftie achieved that milestone.

And I found this:

“8 week anniversary! … My big little thing for today was stripping the bed, putting the sheets through the washer and dryer, and carrying the basket of clean sheets back to the bed. Right on track for the Bonesmart activity guide: week 8, change the bed! I did have H’s help to make the bed, but that’s normal. Fitted sheets are infuriating things to manage singlehanded. Yes, carrying the basket , both hands, no aids.”

Leftie, Rightie, and the Bonesmartie activity guide, all marching in step!!!!

Except that this time I didn’t need H’s help, but did the fitted corners all by myself. Rightie wins!!! And I could do that because suddenly I can walk most of the time indoors without aids. So it was no problem to go back and forth tucking in each corner.

Another thing that Rightie is better at is sleeping on my non-operated side, with pillow between legs. I can now do a 2 hour stretch. Leftie was only able to do 20 minutes after 9 weeks. Funny though, I am actually getting to like sleeping on my back. I picture myself as an otter, all snug and relaxed, lying back contentedly with my paws curled up to my chest.

I had quite forgotten, until now when I was looking through this thread for side-sleeping records, that Leftie used to think that back-sleeping was like lying in a coffin.

I think that shows that Rightie is a happier hip.
 
@Klassy Wonderful update ... isn't it lovely to have two pain-free and fully functional hips?! :yay: Way back when I had my hips replaced I named them Hunky and Dory cuz having 2 great hips was hunky dory!
 
So glad to see how well you are doing.
Spring is in full swing here...lots of blooming going on.:flwrysmile:
I do NOT have a green thumb but love to enjoy everyone else's.

I helped with a controlled burn of 30 acres last weekend.... stomping through thick wooded land with a 25 lb drip torch for 6 hours.
Everything was aching the next day EXCEPT my hips.:happydance:

Life with 2 good hips sure is Sweet.
 
Wonderful update, Klassy!
You have many post op similarities with your left and right hips. You’re doing so well.

I love clean bed sheets, but can’t say changing them is my favorite household chore. It’s funny though how mundane tasks feel like such a wonderful accomplishment post THR. Hooray to a job well done. :yes!: Congrats on walking unaided too… It’s such a satisfying milestone.

I grew more tolerant of back sleeping through my recovery also. I still prefer falling asleep on my op side, but no longer completely avoid sleeping on my back.
I like the otter visual, better than the coffin. :heehee: I hope you’re having a nice day.
@Klassy
 
I have had very good news on my eye condition.

My ESR measure of inflammation has dropped from 57 to 43, all other tests clear, no symptoms of concern. I was seen by a rheumatologist who concluded that it is very unlikely that I have Giant Cell Arteritis, the ESR is unexplained but not alarmingly high, and I can now start tapering off the prednisolone.

If all goes well with withdrawal, I will be off the steroids by 21 March and this detour will be behind me :yes!::yes!:

The only prednisolone side effects I have noticed are insomnia = getting only 2 to 4 hours sleep per 24 hours, and a somewhat buzzy mood. My new hip fortunately seems to be coping with the unexpected demands this produces, like an uncontrollable urge to mop the floors at 3 am. Oh, and my blood pressure today was 145/80. Which the nice health person assured me was perfectly normal, but is off the scale high for me. But everything should be reversible, although I may have to get through a few temporary lows in the next couple of weeks. Gotta pay back the borrowed energy I guess.

This has all been a massive lesson to me, never to take any aspect of good health for granted, and to be grateful for all the good things I have, not fretting about what may be not so good.

I had one awful day, when the floaters had kicked in badly in both eyes, and the prednisolone on top of general anxiety and sleep deprivation was really messing with my mind, when I thought I was going to go totally blind. I just stood there staring and staring at the bare winter trees and the grey February skies and trying to imprint it all on my mind in case I never saw that beauty again. And left the bedroom lights on all night so I would know whether I still could see. And I thought about our epic home renovations which have been dominating my life for the last few years ( along with two hip replacements) and felt anguished that I wouldn’t see the finished result. Of all the trivial things to worry about! The garden flowers I wouldn’t get to see in bloom. And the puppy in my avatar, still a dream plan for which I am counting down the days of hip recovery before buying - would I be needing a guide dog instead? On the other hand, I did have the consolation of knowing I can ring handbells without looking, and the proliferation of audio books, so a couple of useful hobbies…. As you can tell, once I get a worry scenario going I can really embellish all the details .

I could think of these weeks of prednisolone effects and worry as having been in the end unnecessary. But, apart from being a wise precaution, it has been a good lesson in keeping things in perspective. I do have those pesky floaters interrupting my viewing pleasure until I can learn to ignore them, and an elevated risk of retinal detachment which I have to monitor. But I won’t be letting that bother me at all, ever, because compared to having GCA, I am a million times better off.

And compared to so many other people I am blessed. I have been holding my own little gratitude party here, celebrating my release from worry by sending donations for those poor souls in the Ukraine and Afghanistan whose lives have really fallen in. And I am sponsoring the training of a guide dog puppy :dogwalk:

OK, back to the hip recovery chat from now on!
 
Just reading this now and it is wonderful news! I am so happy to read this, Klassy.
Only a couple more weeks of the steroids and it was just a blip on the screen.
This has all been a massive lesson to me, never to take any aspect of good health for granted, and to be grateful for all the good things I have, not fretting about what may be not so good.
Love this! It is easy to take for granted the very things that deserve our gratitude. I think we realize this going through our recovery. Unfortunately, you had an added concern that you shared here and I’m sure the revelation of good news brought elation. The valleys of life can certainly test our resolve.
I had one awful day, when the floaters had kicked in badly in both eyes, and the prednisolone on top of general anxiety and sleep deprivation was really messing with my mind, when I thought I was going to go totally blind. I just stood there staring and staring at the bare winter trees and the grey February skies and trying to imprint it all on my mind in case I never saw that beauty again.
Oh dear Klassy, I will admit this brought tears. The entire paragraph you typed in your post above, not just what I quoted. I’m so very sorry for the fear and sadness you felt.
Thankfully this chapter has a happy ending and I am PTL for that as I type.
Wishing you one of the best weekends ever!
 
I was so wrapped up in reading your latest post that I forgot that I was stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary! :yahoo:
 
Thank you for both messages @Layla ,your support and empathy as always means a lot to me.

The sun has been shining on the garden and my protective husband has been away all day… As Oscar Wilde said, I can resist anything except temptation. I had a lovely time out there, no digging! , but lots of pruning and tidying and general pottering. I must admit that when I stood up after sitting down to dinner I had some stiffness and aches in the hips. Hips plural: the 3 year old Leftie as well as 2 month old Rightie, in exactly the same area, though less than half as strongly. Both sides feel fine after walking round a bit, so I hope that they have both had a bit of a workout but not gained entry to the Overdid It Club.
 
Both hips felt good today. I did a bit more gardening, always with one crutch close at hand, and quite a lot of housework and cooking, all without aids. In fact I feel that indoors I am walking almost normally now. Slow and careful, but with a good length of stride and quite smoothly, judging from my reflection in the glass patio doors. I didn’t use a crutch indoors at all today, and that includes inside my friends’ house when we went for supper.

Today is Rightie’s Day 60. I took a peek back to Leftie’s Day 60, and found this:

“ Day 60 … I realised as I made my breakfast that I was moving round the kitchen very easily. So I set myself the challenge to go the whole day without using aids. And..........success! By the end of the day I was tired and tottering more than walking, but the crutches stayed in the umbrella stand. I am very satisfied with this achievement.”

I know it can be unhelpful to compare my two hips, not to mention shamefully narcissistic, but I am just fascinated by the extent of the similarities between my two recoveries. It’s like a fun new hobby. It’s encouraging to see that Rightie has come from behind and is now doing slightly better than Leftie - no end-of-day tottering from her! But I won’t count on her continuing to outperform, I shall just watch with interest.
 
Good morning (very early for me) @Klassy :mcoffee:
I am very glad your recovery seems to be going well and two new hips is something I'm still so grateful for.
As Layla disclosed in her post, your description of your anxiety when you contemplated if you might lose your sight also tugged at my heart.
We, as modern humans, often take so much for granted and as the world has seemed to have gotten so complicated these last years....and watching events unfold in the news as of late....I am still so grateful for the biggest little things.
Things will never be perfect but I seem to remember an old quote:
Don't wait for someone to bring you flowers. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul.

Seems like decorating is in your blood.
:flwrysmile: Hope today is sweet.
 
Last edited:
9 weeks down! Today I walked round a slightly bigger block from home. Just under one mile in 29 minutes, so 2 mph, getting quicker. I carried one crutch, and barely used it for the first half, until I began to get a bit tired,

I wore my slip-on shoes because I hadn’t yet been able to tie laces. When I got home I thought that if I am going to build up the distances I walk, I need to wear better shoes. I looked up this thread to check when I was able to tie laces after Hip 1. At 50 days. Hmmm. I gave it a try, and what do you know, Hip 2 was perfectly able, I just hadn’t realised!
 
I looked up this thread to check when I was able to tie laces after Hip 1
I took the easy way out. I gave up lace ups. I don’t miss them, but I have sneakers I have to lace up for walking…that’s when I don’t wear the slip ons that are actually more comfy than the athletic shoes. Have you read about Kizik’s and Zeba’s? Right up my alley. I learned about both brands here. Slip on athletic shoes with laces that look normal.

I wish I journaled my recovery as you have both of yours, Klassy. It’s also beneficial for all of those following behind you. Thanks for taking the time to do so and for all of your support offered here. It’s appreciated. :)
 
Thanks for thanking me @Layla! I too appreciate your regular encouragement. Sometimes I begin to bore myself with my obsessive chronicling, never mind anyone else.

One thing I miss compared to Hip 1 is that there is less chit chat back and forth between fellow hippies. Hardly any of the people I felt I got to know, like Bone-obo and SurreyGirl and Hertshippy and CarrieMay, remain on the forum. All out living life as they should be, but there is a big gap in comparison. Is that because replacement surgery stalled in the pandemic?
 
Surrey Girl stuck around the longest I’d say, but she hasn’t been here in over two years. Same with HertsHippy. CarrieMay seemed to leave rather suddenly if I recall, she just fell away. Bone-obo was entertaining, I certainly enjoyed him as I did the others.

The forum has been slower and was definitely impacted by the pandemic and the cancelation of elective surgeries. The monthly lists were quite scant for a long time.

I often wonder about my surgery buddies. I think spent more time goofing around than supporting people in my early recovery. It amazes me that I wasn’t expelled. :heehee:
@Klassy
 
Catching up with your recovery thread and oh my! the eye issues sounded so scary and am so sorry you've been worrying with that, understandably.
I have retina issues so it sounds similar to emotions I experienced several years ago.. :console2:

My husband suffered with PMR which is a close first cousin to GCA... over 2 years of worries with that one!
So very happy to say he is in remission for 2 plus years now ( maybe a bit longer) and is doing well, plus his eyes are safe and sound, he was on steroids of various levels of strength and the weaning off took time but was successful.
There is so much that can be done to preserve our vision, thanking God for that!

Your hip recovery has been great! Isn't it the best feeling ever?? I love my hips and glad you love yours, also!!
 
LOL @Giddsy1 , your temporary inability to tie your laces on the operated side is all part of your new hip’s master plan for recovery. It knows that as soon as you can get your running shoes on, there will be no stopping you!
 
@CricketHip , it is good to hear that your husband has his PMR in remission, long may he continue to enjoy good health. The steroids, despite the risk of side effects, really are a scientific miracle.

My fairly rapid taper from 60 mg prednisolone daily is going fine so far. This morning I took my last dose of 30mg, tomorrow will be 20mg.
The only side effect I am aware of, which so far has been unchanged by tapering, is the most incredible sleep disturbance. I can get to sleep ok, then I wake up feeling refreshed and alert as if I have had a full night’s sleep. But when I check the clock often only an hour has gone by. Sometimes I can get another short spell that night, but sometimes one hour out of 24 is all I get out. I don’t think I have been averaging more than 3 hours a night for the last month.

These extra hours of wakefulness have come along at the right time, when my hip is getting so much more usable. Eg, mopping the floors at 3am. - so much more convenient than trying to do it when H is around and always needs to cross the exact bit of the floor that is wet. This morning I was doing some cooking at 5 am, then I spent the best part of an hour from 6.10 am wandering around the house looking out of different windows at the most glorious sunrise. I am naturally a late riser, and now I know that I have been missing out on the best part of the day.

Of course I may be getting micro naps without knowing it. I’m not watching much TV etc now that my hip is mobile, but H and I are watching a daily episode of “Sinner” together. I usually have to have a second viewing by myself to fill in the bits where I nodded off the first time. And yesterday, we had friends round to ring handbells, and I was definitely zoning in and out while actually ringing! I had warned them that my concentration might not be perfect, so we weren’t aiming at achieving a particular result. But actually I wasn’t too bad on auto pilot.

You may be relieved to know that I have no plans to be driving any time soon.
 
You may be relieved to know that I have no plans to be driving any time soon.
Y-E-A-H!!! We normally cheer people getting back behind the wheel, but not just yet for you. :wink: Nope…don’t want to see you swerving down the road as you nod off.
I love your sense of humor and great writing style, Klassy. Enjoy the weekend!
 
The prednisolone really affects the sleep patterns, for sure. It gives me hot flushes too.
But we are lucky it’s around, right?
Your nocturnal house keeping chores are hilariously useful,, no moss growing under that new hip! Ok. That sounds a little gross, but you know what I mean, right? :kitty:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom