THR Diary of my journey to happy times

:wave:We will get you on the January list....
I'm sure remembering the recovery time makes this fuel daunting, but as you know, good hips will get you back to a happy pain-free life.

Pop in any time.
Hope your week is Sweet!:friends:
 
@Klassy ....Hi, I am just today (Oct. 2, 2021) starting your thread.
I'm on page 3 or 4, and it has been VERY helpful for me, so
thank you! I'm planning to read your entire story later today.
( I am due for two separate THRs, but haven't had them....yet. This site
has helped me A LOT !)

Also wanted to say I love your sense of humor (humour) :)
and as an American, I LOVE British vernacular, too. I
enjoy long, detailed stories, so your thread is
perfect for me!

**I hope your upcoming THR will go well, and I was so
glad to read your recent, positive update! **

From back when you posted about your fall, I think jacey
said something about bubble wrap. I thought it'd be
fun to share this hilarious meme I found back when I
fell and broke my humerus (top arm bone) and it was
NOT humorous! (ha ha!) Then
a few months later, I fell AGAIN and broke a rib.

[Bonesmart.org] Diary of my journey to happy times
 
Hi @Puggles . Thanks for dropping by my thread and giving me a laugh! I could definitely benefit from a bubble wrap coat myself, because I am sitting here nursing a sore toe which I stubbed badly 10 days ago and which I am beginning to suspect may be broken. Not what I need when I would like to be getting fit for the upcoming second hip op. I suppose I should think of it as good training for my patience muscle.

I hope you are coping during this waiting time. I had a look at your recent posts and it seems like you are really suffering. I hope you will be set with a great surgeon soon and able to get on the recovery road.
 
Hi Klassy,
Wondering if you’re still on schedule for surgery this coming Wednesday?
If so, we’ll be watching for you in recovery. I hope you enjoyed the holidays and have a wonderful 2022!
:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
@Klassy
 
Thanks @Layla . I did indeed have my op as scheduled on Wednesday, so am writing this at start of Day 2. I didn’t visit the forum in the run up as I didn’t really want to think about it. I say “run up”, Ha! “Hobble up” was more like it. I could have had my op in October because I was going privately, but I had things I wanted to do before end of year and the pain wasn’t too bad, so I opted for early January. But it began to get so bad that I could barely shuffle round the house for the last month or so. I spent the holidays in isolation because I was afraid of getting a positive covid test and having the op cancelled as a result. And obsessively watching the wave of Omicron in fear that the hospital staff would come down with it and cancel. None of which happened of course.

I have had a ropy couple of days , and particularly nights, but I am feeling ok just now.
 
@Klassy Welcome to the other side again! You are now a member of the double hippie club!

Please keep us updated on how you are doing. You know the drill - ice, elevate, meds and repeat.
 
Welcome to the healing side, Klassy :wave:
My heart goes out to those that struggle with the decision whether to isolate leading up to surgery given the current health crisis, only adding to the normal pre-op anxiety. Then, dealing with the possibility of a cancelation right up to the last minute. Thankfully that didn’t occur, surgery is behind you and you’ve begun the healing process. I’m sorry you’re in the midst of some rough days. I hope it eases quickly. I look forward to following your recovery. :) Lots of comfort to you!
@Klassy
 
Hi all
I know that every THR is different, but it will be interesting to compare the two. So far I seem to be in sync, came home on Day 3 and felt like posting on Day 4.

Differences:
We have moved 200 miles, so different hospital and surgeon, different house to recover in. Same wonderful supportive husband .

The benefits of prior experience:

1. At the pre-op assessment I told them that last time the anaesthetist couldn’t get the cannula in. After trying and failing in the back of each hand, he put it in the back of the wrist. The person assessing me said that it could be due to dehydration. I was told to drink water up to an hour before admission. So I drank a whole litre then. I don’t know if this made the difference, or whether it helped that the anaesthetist was forewarned, but this time he got it in the first hand tried. It still stopped working properly on the first day; apparently I have short veins on the backs of my hands, but they moved on to the second hand then and that lasted for the required time.

2. Last time I suffered terrible constipation. This time I prepared by eating loads of fibre and took a senna tablet the night before surgery, and took a pack of dried figs with me to hospital to nibble on. So far it’s working.

3. I told them that last time the compression stockings dug into the top of my calf and they issued me a pair one size larger. So far, these ones seem better.

4. At the pre op assessment I was told I would be given injections to self- administer to prevent blood clots. I said that last time I couldn’t do it, and they said therefore I could have pills instead. “Great!” I said. But at the hospital they still tried several times to issue me with the box of jabs. I was adamant and finally came home with a jar of pills. Result! (Unless I develop DVT of course)

5. I know about the risks from my low blood pressure (spent Day 5 in A&E after fainting) so am.being cautious this time.

6. Some tips from Bonesmart that I put into action: turn your crutches upside down when putting them aside (the nurses hadn’t seen this nifty trick and were impressed, hopefully they might pass it on); ask for ice packs (not offered at either hospital and I didn’t know to ask the first time) which they gave me rather grudgingly and were a huge help; have a sheepskin to go under my heels when I get home, and most important: BEWARE THE CRAZY PHYSIO! On Day 1 this madly enthusiastic young woman burst into my room and cried “Right, up you get! Time to run your first marathon!!!”. I exaggerate, but only slightly. When I couldn’t move the operated leg sideways she grabbed hold and was about to wrench it. I managed to fend her off, but I was dreading her promised return the next day. Thank heavens, a gentle girl turned up instead and we worked within my comfortable range. And my follow up appointment is via Zoom so I should be safe now.
 
:wave:Awesome update, Klassy! It’s nice to hear from you. You’re doing really well.
Thankfully you were able to fend off the overly enthusiastic Physio. It’s sad when members end up suffering discomfort from incidents like the one you described, simply out of fear of speaking up. I hope you have a nice night and good week.
Stay in touch. :)
@Klassy
 
PS…Did your move eliminate your opportunity to ring the bells? I remember that as something you were looking forward to last time.
 
Well remembered! The local opportunities for bell ringing were the number one item on our house hunting list! We found some great ringing and met lots of nice people, until covid. The Church of England took a very cautious approach and stopped tower ringing over much of the last 20 months. But the silver lining was that we took up handbell ringing. This is ringing methods as on tower bells, not tune ringing. (Nothing against tune ringing, but it is a totally different skill). The reason was we could do it outdoors in small groups when that was the only social contact allowed in summer 2020. H and I really enjoy it, and will carry on with it as a second strand to our hobby. Even better, I should be able to get back to it quite soon post-op as it is not physically strenuous.
 
@Klassy :wave: Good to see you back on the recovery side and sounds like you're doing reasonably well. You know the routine, rest, ice, elevate and take it slow! :friends:
 
Hi @Klassy :wave:
Love the above "lessons learned" update...
These are the things I appreciated so much when I was first on the forum.
Good for you for advocating for yourself and hopefully this recovery will be smooth (as it can be) as you roll into 2022. A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
Day 5, not bad. The days are ok, the nights are hard.

Two things different for hip 2:

Hip 1 had dissolving stitches, Hip 2 has metal staples. Which is annoying because it means another 100 mile round trip to get them taken out. And I imagine it will involve more discomfort?

Hip 1 had me worrying about swelling which started at the size of half a grapefruit and took months to disappear completely. I knew for this time that I didn’t need to worry about that. But this time my whole thigh is swollen. It looks about twice the size of the non-operated leg. Hoping this is normal?
 
@Klassy The swollen thigh is, sigh, very normal and often referred to as having a "log leg" cuz that's rather what it feels like. It will go away. Icing and elevating should help with that.
 
Thanks so much both for the reassurance. It helps enormously to know this is normal. I am icing and elevating the log right now!
 
Hip 2 has metal staples. Which is annoying because it means another 100 mile round trip to get them taken out.
No need to travel unless your GP is that far away. The nurse at your GPs office can do this for you.
 
Thank you again @Jaycey for your advice. I am now booked in for staple removal at my NHS surgery 5 minutes away, saving me hours on the motorway to and from the private hospital. I had no idea I would be able to get this help from the NHS after paying for a private operation.

I’m very grateful. Bonesmart forum triumphs again!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom