TKR Dewey Did It...#1 AND #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dewey it is so great to hear you upbeat this time around. I remember what a horrid time your first 10 days with #1 and this seems to be much more manageable. :happydance:

I would expect the energy drain to be much more significant this time, just think about how much your body has endured in the last 12 weeks. First one TKR, then difficulty with medication, then a 2nd TKR and a MUA!! Wow, it makes me feel tired just typing it out. :shocked:

Listen to your body and just take it easy when you need to. I completely understand what you mean about the shower, I still need to rest for at least 15 minutes after my shower (and I still have a shower stool).

Mindless TV is still working for me at this point, although I am just now starting to enjoy reading again. If you like the computer, Pinterest is a wonderful site for browsing.

:egypdance: :happydance: :Hi Dewey, your recovery this time is inspiring.
I am so very pleased that you are having an easier time second time around, you really deserve it.
I understand you being frustrated at doing it all again so soon and at the energy drain but it will pass in time. A least you know the job is done now and each day brings you closer to those pain free knees.
Take care and keep us posted with your progress,
Hugs, Toothfairy x flwrysmile:

Dewey, since you are unsteady you might want to continue with walker longer till it passes. My PT did not push cane to make sure I had balance and gait correct. She did put wheels on the walker after a while so I could move more smoothly and practice gait. Stamina is probably expected since you have had two major surgeries quite close together in time. You are doing great for so early in the recovery.

We are with you on the recovery trip. I know some people knit or crochet - I did not have concentration for that so I played simple computer games and did a lot of reading on bonesmart and feel asleep during silly tv shows. I am sure others will have other ideas to pass the time- organize pictures, etc

Dewey so pleased you are begining to feel better. I was like you. Couldnt concentrate on a book and I do love my reading. Crime thrillers for me not the romantic ones. karin Slaughter and P J Bolton my favourite authors. For me it was then mindless tele, laptop for Bonesmart facebook etc. phone for keeping in touch with friends. Since then im catching up on knitting and hoping to start the cross stitch again. No wonder you feel exhausted Dewey. Your poor body has been thru so much trauma. And you didnt have an ideal recovery with knee number one. I would really listen to it and take this time to really relax as much as you can and let people look after you. You really do deserve it. Hopefully the weather will improve as the sunshine and warmth always makes us feel better. Take care you are doing so well. You have my admiration having two knees done so close together. X

:groan: Hello, all...
I'm so glad to be able to come here and "talk" to those who understand what I'm going through! It seems my days are getting longer and longer....and I'm just so tired of all of this!

Worry.....Oh my, will I ever stop??? You'd think by now I'd be a bit calmer about all of this! Here's what's happened...

On Wednesday, my PT who has been really understanding and gentle, decided it was time to really push the ROM. I just wasn't as far as he wanted me to be, and I think he thought he could PUSH me to it. I didn't allow him to actually push me with his hands, but I did push as far as I could myself. I did too much, and i've paid for it ever since. The swelling is worse now, and the pain is constant! Arrrggghhh, I should have known better! I just wanted to feel like I was improving, you know?

I'm worried that my ROM is going backwards, and I'm worried that I'm feeling more pain now. I truly think I'm undermedicated as the discomfort never really goes away. It's not horrible, it just never lets up and it's beginning to wear on me. The only thing I'm taking is one Percocet 5/325 every 4 or 5 hours. My PT thinks I need an anti-inflammatory to get rid of some of the swelling. I have a suspected allergy to NSAID's (many years ago they caused some asthma like symptoms), but my doctor thinks it's worth a try for a week or two. He told me to take an OTC naproxen (Aleve) twice a day. I took one tonight and I'm so hoping it will help with the swelling. Do you all take some type of medication for the swelling?? I am icing and elevating above my heart A LOT. I can tell that the swelling is keeping me from bending. I continue to walk very straight legged. I can tell it's not bending as far now as it was last week. I just really didnt want to have to worry about the ROM on this knee like I did for #1. Now it seems I may have to add that to my list of worries.

Ok, I guess I feel better just by writing my concerns here. I know my problems are pretty minor, and I tell myself a million times a day that it could be so much worse. I guess I'm just getting really tired of this worry, and I just want to be able to walk without pain. Thanks, again, for listening! Any encouraging words will again be appreciated!!!

Hi, Dewey. I was just about to head to bed after a rousing game of pinochle with my family, but decided to pop onto Bonesmart while I waited until my pill taking time. I am glad I checked. Isn't it nice to have a place to just say what's on your mind!

I truly wish I had the right words to ease your fears or some advice to help you with the pain. It seems like just a few days ago you had your surgery, and I am guessing that's what your knee is thinking, too. Obviously, to you it feels like an eternity.

My PT and I were discussing swelling. He said there are so many causes of swelling. Of course there's over doing it, OS technique/skill, a person's propensity for swelling, medications, and so on. Some people just don't swell much at all. He's been in the business over 20 years and really seems to know his stuff. My point is maybe you're not doing anything wrong and your body is so burdened by trauma from knee 1 and now knee 2. Just keep being gentle with it. It will come around. How is knee #1 doing? Are you able to sleep well?

I don't take NSAIDs and was wondering why. When I had shoulder surgery, a different OS said he wanted me to take naproxen for 30 days--not for pain but for inflammation. My current OS has not said a word about them, only Tylenol--curious. Do you use any compression? I was told to just use the light elastic sleeve I was given. It's so light it hardly leaves a mark on my leg, but when I don't wear it, my leg swells more. I also have a friend who is knowledgeable about natural remedies and she told me to eat anti-inflammatory foods: flax seed, oatmeal, salmon, broccoli , blueberries, honey, ginger, turmeric to name some. I like all of those foods anyway. Of course there are foods to avoid as well, like sugar, red meat, dairy (where have I heard that before). Might be worth a shot.

Take care, you. I'll be thinking about you.

Taking an anti-inflammatory drug is common post-TKR, but early on it conflicts with some blood thinners. Once I was off blood thinners, for both TKR's, I went on Naproxen (1000mg/day...2*500). I think it helps reduce some of the swelling, but I would check with your doc again and about dosage. You are still very early on your #2 so hang in there.

Hi, Dewey. So sorry you're having this trouble. Some people are pretty salt-sensitive & tend to retain fluid/swell when they eat even regularly salted food. Maybe experiment with cutting back salt, anything like cold cuts/bacon/canned food. Can't hurt, in any case, and it might help. As for other tricks, often any kind of movement can help -- sit on a chair with your feet planted and move just your bottom forward. Lie on your back in bed, put your feet on your headboard or wall and walk your feet down the wall, just a bit at a time. (You nice husband can help position your feet, etc.) When you're on the toilet, try sliding your heels back, bit by bit. None of these will be forceful movements, but all will do some stretching & increase your range of motion. I hope things improve; this has been a rough go for you.

Dewey, of course you are tired and frustrated and sometimes that constant nagging pain can be worse than more severe that goes away. It is tiring and draining. You have had a hard road with the other knee and do not have as much in reserve emotionally and physically.

You are one of the posters that taught me that this is a safe place to share those feelings with those who understand completely. We are here for you. We believe in you and that slowly you will get past this. Can you contact your doctor,either the OS or Primary Care for a short course of stronger pain meds. My OS had no issues having my on Dilaudid for the first 4 weeks, there was no question regarding refills. After 4 weeks and with me doing better I transitioned to Vicodin but I am sure if I had problems and severe pain I would have gotten something stronger. Keeping pain at minimum is so important for you, as you know. Keep trying to get pain meds, call and ask to speak to the OS or their PA or Nurse to explain and if necessary have husband call and explain the pain that he is seeing in you.

Slowly you will get there but keep trying to get some pain relief. You should not be suffering with pain. We are here for you.

Hang in there Dewey, you have been thru so much. Its not wonder your tired of pain and not having your regular routine! 2 major surgies is hard on you, your bound to feel tired easily. You need to take this time to let your body rest and heal. Rest and sleep as often as you can. I understand your worry about the bend. I know we are told not to but its just too hard not to worry when the bend just isnt coming, Im right in that same boat with you. How is knee #1 doing now? Has the bend imporved there? It has not been very long at all for either one of your surgries, so dont let yourself get overly worried for now.... remember less is more...... more is lessss! Give yourself the time you need and try to not worry to much, i know that is easier said than done!! I had trouble being able to read as well.. just could not get around it. Silly things on the computer did keep my mind occupied i was thankful for that
Hang in there your doing great!! This is a great place to come I agree with you there, everyone here know exactly what your going thru your just going thur it double!! Your a brave strong girl if you ask me!
We are all here for you
Take care
hugs
susie

Dewey, you have always been there for so many people on this site. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and hoping for you to have a good recovery. No need to reply if you are not up to it and concentrating on yourself but just so you know if you come on to the site you are being thought of and good thoughts are heading your way.

We are here for your Dewey! All my good thoughts and prayers are being sent. Hang in there it wll get better day by day! Before you know it will all be so much better. Take care of yourself, this is YOU time!
Hugs
Susie

Thanks so much for your kind words and well wishes! It's what is so amazing about this site....just when you feel all alone, you find there are some wonderfully compassionate people here at Bonesmart to make you feel better!

3 Week Update (knee #2)....I am excited to say that I believe I've turned a small corner now. I started Naproxen which has really helped with the inflammation pain I was having. My knee is still achy at times, but it is under control for the most part now. I was so, so glad to get past those first two weeks, believe me! I'm still spending lots of time on the couch with the ice and pillows to elevate, but I'm up more now and able to do just a little more each day. I'm trying to add little jobs very slowly so I don't overdo. I finished with my in-home therapist today, and I will begin at the out-patient rehab place tomorrow. This will be the same young gal I had with knee #1, and she does a pretty good job of following the Bonesmart way of thinking. I'm so glad of that. My extension is close to zero and ROM of both knees is about 95. I know that's not great, especially for the knee#1 that had a MUA weeks ago, but I've come to the conclusion that it is "ME" and that's what my knees want to do right now. I believe that my ROM will come in time, I'm just not one to get it right away! I refuse to go back to the horrible worries I had a few weeks ago with #1. I will continue to gently work both knees with the hope that I'll get more bend as the days go on. I've read so many stories of that happening to other Bonesmart posters......I'm not going to doubt that it will happen to me! (Ok.....I can talk about not worrying about it, but I know myself too well. I will probably continue to worry, but hopefully not to the extent as I was before!)

We've finally had a couple of days of nice, blue skies, and I can't believe what that does to my state of mind. I feel so much more positive and hopeful when the sun is shining!

So I wish you all sunny skies and painfree knees! It really does change your outlook on life! I haven't been reading posts for the past few days, so I hope you are all steadily improving and beginning to get your lives back to "normal". I've been so abnormal for so long that I don't even really know what that means! I'm positive that we are all dreaming of the day when we don't have to mention our knees even once!! It WILL happen.........

:goodpost: Really good positive post Dewey. Really good to hear and I agree about ROM. Mine is a little over 90 last time I measured at almost six and half months. I did worry, a lot. But then I realised Im pain free, and day to day living is so much better for me and in the long run thats all thas count. Good Luck with your recovery. Take it at your own pace and you will get there. As Im sure I will ~ eventually. Take Care :flwrysmile:

You sound good Dewey!! So good to hear from you, keep up the good attitude, I know you can do it!! We are all here.
Take care
Susie

Good to hear from you Dewey and yes some sunny days sure do help the spirit. Yes, we will all get to the new normal with no pain.

Oh Dewey, thinking about you. Know what it's like doing the second. I think I actually said you would be glad you did them close and got them done, but I know you'll have some challenges with two new guys. Curious that even as far out as I am, the first knee done is better off than the second. They never really caught up. I hope you have plenty of time away from the other stresses of life to deal with your new challenges. Sorry about your rehab experience. But glad to hear you are in advocacy mode for all those who you saw to be mistreated or under treated. Good for you!

Sounds like things are going a bit better Dewey. Those sunny skies help the mood too, don't they?

Hello, all!

Today is my 4 week anniversary! Wow, it's just amazing how many changes we go through in just 4 short weeks! I'm doing ok, and actually feel like I'm pretty lucky that my recovery seems pretty "normal" right now. I've started therapy with the same gal I had with knee #1, and it's going well so far. I'm still swelling much more with this knee, but it's not so much that the therapist is concerned about it. I do think that's what is giving me the discomfort mostly, especially at night time.

I've cut the Percocet down to only 3 or 4 a day now. I still don't think tylenol does enough to keep me comfortable, but I can spread out the doses of the narcotic now which I think is helpful. I'm still taking a Naproxen in the morning and at bedtime. I'm not sure it's doing much for the visable edema, but I do think it helps with the pain. I'm icing a few times a day with elevation.

I feel like I'm getting really, really lazy now! I think I SHOULD be able to get up and do more, but if I truly listen to my knees, I'm only up for a short period before I have to sit or lay down! Pushing it is just not worth it to me. I am getting out a bit now (driving to PT) which really helps with the mood. Hubby and I even went out to dinner on Saturday night! It's so good to feel a bit "normal".

I'm beginning to make reservations for my summer vacation now! Knees will be 14 and 24 weeks old when we go. I'm quite nervous about it.....it's a lot of money to spend and take a chance if I'll even be able to enjoy it by then! We are just taking a nice, relaxing week in southern Florida which will include 2 days at Key West. I know that walking will be important in Key West, and I don't know how much I'll be able to do. We will, though, have more lazy, quiet days on the beach and at the resort to just chill. Anyone have any prediction for me? Will I be able to do some walking by that time? I have nine more weeks to improve before we go.....

Thanks for any ideas and advice you have for me! Hope everyone is doing well, and experiencing "good knee" days. Take care!

Dewey, cannot offer advice on the vacation plans, however, it is good to see your update. Do not feel you should be doing more just because it is 4wks. I did very little following the mantra and it turned out well for me. Just because we think we should is not a good reason as you stated the knee rules. Again, good to hear regarding your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom