TKR Desperate for recovery advice<

i am still waiting on insurance and scheduled for wednesday!
Please remind us what surgery you are scheduled to have done on Wednesday, and to which knee. Then we can add that to your signature.
 
remind me please, what exercises should i be doing if i go thru with this
Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control. This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living. Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new. You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly. ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you can have a less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there:yes:.
 
I did do PT, but one thing I learned by the second knee was that 2x per week was plenty. Their standard seems to be 3x but I told them I though 2 times a week was enough, but if I felt I needed more we could always revisit that. I didn't do home exercises on PT days. And while I appreciated the guidance of my (generally good) PT I never did quite as much of the home exercise as they put on those sheets.
Having "instructions" of some sort helps me keep on track, but I also use my own judgment.
 
Feel your pain, literally. However this is the first week PT cut me back to2X a week instead of 3 and the pain has been less making me think PT may be causing it!
 
This makes me rethink the whole PT business. I think you are all correct. I was very hard on myself to keep exercising and then months later I realized that I made the progress I needed to without the excruciating pain. And the 2 weeks after when I went to outpatient (opposed to in the house), the PT would take my leg and move it behind me as I lay on my side. The leg shook so bad, I cried and the PT suggested anti-anxiety meds. What I know now, is that the inflammation affects the nerves and I would have a zinger of pain down the leg. Awful.

Now that doesn't mean I am free of pain and problems obviously. It feels like marbles or broken glass under the knee cap and it hurts like hell when I bear weight going down the stairs, or squats to build muscle that just won't engage.

I am having, if all goes well, TKR on L knee Wednesday.

Interesting one of the surgeon 'gurus' in our area has a protocol of very limited exercise, heel slides and light walking in house otherwise he wants you on your back with foot raised over heart for 3 weeks. This does not sit well with the traditional surgeons.

Also and forgive me for repeating, but did your docs use a drain after surgery?
 
Mine never used a drain that I know of-so I don't know any pros or cons related to one. But I agree with light walking in the house and icing and elevating as much as possible; oh, and I didn't do heel slides either. I actually did no exercises at all other than normal daily activities. Good luck next week and see you on the other side!
 
I so agree with you. I’d go to PT but never did the “homework” they sent home. I rested and iced leg turned out excellent
 
I had a drain after surgery. It meant I had no bruising and minimal swelling. I agree with the pain, no gain philosophy. The couple of times I've tried to push myself a bit further it's had an adverse effect. For 4 weeks I did the very basic heel slides and leg extensions, assisted leg extensions until I could do them on my own, then added something extra that hurt and put myself back a week. I started formal PT at 6 weeks, but didn't do anything that caused pain. I'm really pleased with my ROM, not sure what it is now, but I can straighten my leg fully and at flexion can bring my heel back to around 8" from my bottom. Good luck with your forthcoming surgery. I wish you a successful recovery.
 
Also, this doctor uses a drain - I have read that that leads to more avenue for infection... is that a typical procedure?
Theoretically, you are right but my surgeon has always used drains and his infection rate is on of the lowest I have ever known.
 
Because of the rush trying to get me in for surgery before it 'expires' I do not have all the info I should.

Can anyone tell me if its ok to take magnesium glycinate? I take it for muscle cramping and constipation. No word has been given if I should have been on colace prior or anything to counter the side effects. I should have been doing this on my own.

There is a mixed message of Tylenol every 8 hrs before the surgery and multi vitamins are ok. Then again it looks like they wrote nothing 5 days before surgery. Honestly, this is unbelievable. There is so much chaos again. Had I seen the doc rather than PA i think I would have been prompted to ask more. ughhh.
 
I went off everything except Tylenol and my synthroid 10 days before surgery, but I wasn’t taking any vitamins at the time. They gave me colace after surgery which didn’t really work. Miralax was magical though.

If you do PT my advice is to let no one push or even touch your leg. Don’t push or pull your leg/knee in order to gain ROM and don’t do anything that hurts at the moment or even later on.
 
Got it. I also have a script for Linzess which is a pill for constipation. Miralax good idea.
I wont let the PTs do that this time.
 
The first was done in Pittsburgh. and, forgive me if I mentioned this before, (I can't find the edit button) but when I just read his surgical notes, it said that he was 'present' during critical parts of surgery - makes me wonder if he actually did the surgery.
 
It’s anazing what we can learn by reading our surgical report.

At my one year check up I asked for mine because I thought it would be fun to read. While reading it I learned my surgeon also did a lateral release during the surgery. I don’t remember him ever telling me that. And most of my discomfort, all along and even now, is in the lower lateral part of my knee. No one knows what to do for it.
 
It’s been over 2 years and I’m losing faith that this lateral area will improve. I used to describe this area as feeling like someone jammed a hunk of wood into that spot and left it there.

I’m pretty sure there’s a nerve issue going on, too. The second I put pants on it feels like that hard hunk of wood swells up and it just feels awful. Thankfully we’re back to warm weather and I can wear shorts again.

I’m sorry I had this partial done. The actual arthritis pain is gone, but I’ve traded it for something much more uncomfortable. I have limitations now, still, that I didn’t have before surgery.
 
@buddydog usually things like vitamin supplements, magnesium glycinate and anti-constipation stuff is left to the patient's own choice and on the assumption that they will read the directions!
There is a mixed message of Tylenol every 8 hrs before the surgery
I do believe that in the US these are included in the list of meds NOT to be taken prior to surgery though we in the UK are allowed to. :shrug:
 
My OS allowed me to take Tylenol and a stool softener, even the Colace was OK the morning of the surgery.
 
Interesting one of the surgeon 'gurus' in our area has a protocol of very limited exercise, heel slides and light walking in house otherwise he wants you on your back with foot raised over heart for 3 weeks. This does not sit well with the traditional surgeons.
My surgeon would agree with that.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.
 
That's amazing Celle! and also Josephine, the nurse concurred early today that I should be on a Tylenol protocol before surgery. That's a moot point now...

With great regret and tears, I succumbed to the pressure of my insurance and canceled the surgery. I am very upset and feel like I would lose either way (operate or wait). The doctor has been nothing short of extraordinary which makes my decision to have canceled even harder.

I apologize for all I have put you all through but my gut said the insurance was a very weighty part of this and if a complication or extended issue occurred I would have no coverage. If this insurance war gets resolved hopefully I can proceed again. I still plan on watching the forum because I don't know what I would do without this support and info. Thank you all.

Jockette, also if I understood this doctor, the lateral release is more common than not. Apparently the knee is manipulated after the implant to make sure the movement or precision is accurate and if it is restricted, that may be a component that has to be released. Now this is just my interpretation of what he said, but there are articles about it and I believe I sent you a couple links. Perhaps you can look at who wrote the articles and contact them to see if there is a remedy if it causes you much pain. I am sorry.. I know all about pain. It is amazing what we don't know that goes on and what a blessing for those that don't need to analyze it because of their good outcomes.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom