Guest viewing is limited

Depression/post-op blues - open for all

I don't know if it's just that my brain hasn't been engaged with much, or if my body is redirecting healing resources away from thinking too hard while it repairs the big stuff... who knows?
It is just that - the body is putting all its energy into healing. Many people complain about lack of concentration post op.

Very early days for you. That post op blues will ease with time. As Hippie Chick suggested, try and find something that doesn't require focused concentration but takes your mind off the blues.

I discovered BoneSmart at that point in my first recovery. Posting here helping others going through the same experience helped me.

Hang in there @Solar7 ! Remember that all this is temporary. You will get your life back with no more hip pain!
 
I'm lying in bed while the household is asleep. Because of crazy sleeping times I lie here just thinking which isn't always good.

I tend to get a bit snappy because I'm so frustrated that I can't do things. I'm very independent and asking others for help isn't something I'm used to.

After I get snappy I apologise but I feel bad anyway. They know I'm not myself so they say it's ok and I feel worse for being ungrateful eventhough I'm extremely grateful which I tell them.They say it's ok and let me be. I don't say too much because I couldn't be bothered talking and it's all just weird.
Nothing about this recovery is pleasant apart from knowing the debilitating pain will be gone forever.

It's all maddening..frustrating and sloooooow. Ah well..just keep plowing on because this recovery will get better and eventually end.
 
@Goma I remember the temper flares due to shear frustration post op. Everything seemed like I was moving in slow motion. Or simple things were just impossible at first.

The good news it that it does get better and easier. You will look back on this time and see just how far you have come on this journey.

Try listening to music, reading or watching some mindless TV to put you to sleep. Or maybe a hot drink? Hope you get some sleep soon!
 
Watch tv. Do some physio. Take more pills. Go to sleep. Read the forum. Watch tv. Do some walking. Take more pills. Read stories on the forums. Take more pills. Then do it all again.

Not always that sequence but that's the day.. just don't have the energy physically but mentally I want to do more. I can't so just ignore what's going on around me and get through the day.

My husband is doing a good job of taking care of things as best he can for which I'm grateful.

It's frustrating..annoying.. can't pick up my little grandchildren.

When I fixed my knee I finished a crosstitch that I started decades ago which I found rewarding. I have others that are half done which I could pick up but I need to lower my meds so I can concentrate on. Anyway it's a potential project.
 
I was up and down last night. Magazines are nice- not too short, not too long, just right. You will probably nap later on when it’s daylight.
 
Goma, Hippie chick.
trying to patient when we’re so impatient for our recovery is 1 of the hardest things post op i’ve found...
has anyone tried meditations? Plenty on youtube, to find the right one that ‘speaks’ to you personally.
I struggle with anxiety and depression, on my own. I found it useful tho, all hours of the day/night.
I’m 4mnths post 1st THR so far...
I hope my 1st checkup xray in 2 weeks shows all is ok in there trying hard not to stress about the uncertainty, so meditation has helped.
 
I was stressed, depressed and just cross today...nothing to do with my hip.

Just general life things outside of my control. This anxiety can't be helping my already frazzled brain.

Calm blue ocean ...calm blue ocean...
 
I don't meditate but some slow deep breathing works for me.

My daughter in law practices meditation and has a journal where she writes her thoughts and affirmations. She sketches as well.

Stress levels elevate during recovery because you hope you're doing well.
Good luck with your appointment.
 
I'm not good at it but I did and still do some meditation but mine is based more on gratitude.
Kind of like "these are a few of my favorite things."
It has always helped me, especially at night.

It does get easier.. then it is just a memory, then that fades away. too.

Hang in there everybody.
 
Right now definitely feels like the No Man's Land of recovery. I feel good but have no significant healing milestones to expect any time soon, not for three weeks. Yesterday I got the first official barb from my parents about not having a job... I know that soon enough the sympathy of surgery is going to shift to "it's time to get back to work," so there's not going to be much to celebrate or time to do anything fun if the surgeon gives me the all clear in three weeks.

It's not exactly easy to get hired in the holiday season due to the busy nature of people being out, and budgets for the following year having not kicked in.

My career is very stressful and I can't stand it, to the point in which having a broken pelvis and limited mobility preventing me from working for a year has actually been a major stress reliever.

Anyways, just a vent!
 
Last edited:
I am viewing this time as a reset- take time to see what is working and not working for you, what changes would you like to make, what is working well, etc. When I had another surgery back at 19, I decided that I wanted to go to college. The next semester I was able, I took my first 2 classes. I had two good friends who went to nursing school after their children were grown and flown. Hang in there!
 
I'm thinking a holiday next year. The last big trip we were on was in Hawaii when my son married a girl from San Diego.

Hawaii was chosen because her parents lived there during her childhood and it was a halfway point for the American and Australian families to meet. It was the best time ever. That was 2019.

Then COVID and the bad knee and now hip has restricted mobility and affected how I in particular was living. The main reason I had the replacements.

Now having been through two recoveries..especially the knee... I'm not sitting around any longer. No more time wasting.

Next year I'd like to take a long trip out of Australia and have a good time with my husband.
 
Incidentally it's 1.15am and I can't sleep. Just got more ice for my itchy hip and swallowed more meds.

Oh the joy.
 
Last edited:
Love your trip idea! It sounds exciting! Planning where you are going and what you will do is equally fun! Sorry the itching continues.
 
@Solar7 You are not even one month out of major surgery. You are going to have to be patient at this stage. The situation will continue to improve.

Why not think about doing something different for work. You have time to explore that now.

I read on your thread today that you were a star at PT. At this early stage that's great news!
 
@Solar7 You are not even one month out of major surgery. You are going to have to be patient at this stage. The situation will continue to improve.

Why not think about doing something different for work. You have time to explore that now.

I read on your thread today that you were a star at PT. At this early stage that's great news!
Yeah, I wish I could have figured something else out for a new career, but cost has been a limiting factor. Plus not really knowing what I'd like to do and ending up in debt to just be unhappy and now making the base entry level pay in a new career.

Part of the problem is that the popular jobs that are suggested to younger people these days to improve their careers are what I already do. I'm a high earner in tech. It'd be hard to jump from making $135k+ to slide down to making maybe $45k as an entry level worker in who knows what at the age of 37.

Like I said, just a vent. Unfortunately I feel the need to jump back into something that pays well so I can make up for the drain on my finances over a year and a half of not working.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom