TKR Denmother's 2nd TKR

So I discovered that socks are not a good idea and I only have 2 pairs of pants that don't fit tight around the knee.

And it's not a wise idea to forget your cane at home. I guess practicing my gate is a good thing!
 
Do take your cane, even if you can manage without it most of the time. At the end of your work day, your knee is going to be very tired and it will appreciate the extra support.

Do remember that, compared to most people, you have gone back to work very early. Your knee still has a lot of internal healing to do, so be as kind to it (and yourself) as you can.
 
@Celle I agree! I worked 6-1 today and remembered to ice and elevate several times. The cane was an oversight and I totally forgot about it. I need to leave it with my backpack when I get home so I won't forget it. I definitely learned last time that you only need it when you don't have it!

Physical Therapy this afternoon, looking forward to some new weight bearing exercises. Strength is improving and ROM is increasing slowly. I'm being very conservative and not rushing.
 
Very happy with yesterday's PT. 120 degrees flexion and 3 degrees extension!! Managed to survive forgetting my cane at home.

Therapist is now elevating my heel while icing which makes my right hip angry. Made it 5 minutes yesterday and had to go to flat after that.
 
My right TKR was on Sept. 2 also. I'm recovering more slowly, but that's okay. Sounds like you're doing great!
 
@RunwithSmoke my left TKR in 2012 was exactly the opposite so I can totally understand. I'm still amazed at the difference in recovery!
 
Today's efforts at modification, self care and accepting assistance:

I slipped going down the stairs at home this morning. I laid there for 5 minutes waiting for the pain to dissipate and praying I did not injure myself too badly. I ended up with a goose egg on the outside of my quad which made it very difficult to get in/out of the car, train, desk, etc. I hobbled my way downstairs to my cane and finally headed to work.

I was walking so slow I got a ride in the handicapped cart from the train tunnel to my building. Countless folks opened the doors for me and held the elevator doors all day. I'd like to send s big thank you out to the universe and wish all these folks much good kharma!

At lunch I opted for 15 easy minutes on the recumbent bike to loosen it up and an upper body workout using machines instead of my PT exercises. And I iced and elevated many times.

So tonight I am a little wiser and will remember tomorrow that I still need my cane and to be kind to those who need help!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Denmother's 2nd TKR
    image.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 222
On Friday I went back to see the same PT that I used for my other knee. He is also a Mountain Biker so he understands my needs and can tailor a program for my needs.

The leg is still a little tender after my stair fall so he worked more on extension mobilization than flexion. I am still not able to do a full step down so we switched to shin kisses instead. We switched the monster walks to putting the band around the feet instead of the ankles and it really makes the glutes work! The glute raises and the ham and swiss on the ball caused to much pain for now so back to the floor with bent knees instead.

Respecting the ebb and flow!
 
@Denmother
I understand your desire to get fit for mountain biking again, but please don't try to rush this recovery.
Your knee needs to recover and repair itself for about 3 months, before you start strengthening exercises.

i'm glad that you and your therapist switched away from exercises on the ball when they hurt you - because it is too soon for them, too. Well done for reading the pain as a warning sign!
 
@Celle my PT is awesome and I trust him completely. I did strength training early on with the other leg as as well. As an athlete and a long time weight trainer, I do listen to my body. Nothing to strenuous, just adding weight as tolerated.
 
So I discovered that socks are not a good idea and I only have 2 pairs of pants that don't fit tight around the knee.

And it's not a wise idea to forget your cane at home. I guess practicing my gate is a good thing!
How are u doing now?
 
Today's PT was 15 minutes up and down my street!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Denmother's 2nd TKR
    image.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 166
@bahamamama610 I still take 1 Hydrocodon each night before bed. During the day I take Aleeve in the morning and Tylenol until bed time. I weaned myself off by week 3 so I could drive.
 
Train broke down so I missed my PT appointment and had to do it at home. Got to add straight legged deadlifts with 20lbs.

Disclaimer: The meme I posted is focused on the "mental" aspect not the physical aspect of pain. ;-)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Denmother's 2nd TKR
    image.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:
I do listen to my body. Nothing to strenuous, just adding weight as tolerated.
This sounds like a very reasonable strategy. However.....
Got to add straight legged deadlifts with 20lbs.
sounds like you may have changed your approach. All I can say is please be very careful!
 
@Jaycey I'm doing just that, listening to my body. As an athlete and previous TKR patient, I realize that I need to proceed slowly and not do too much. Prior to surgery I was doing 125Lb Deadlifts so I am definitely taking it slowly and will build back up. They have been added back to my rehab by my Physical Therapist who is an avid cyclist and helped me through my previous rehab.
 
@Denmother
I know you're an athlete and I know that you say you are listening to your body.

However, please think of this:
No matter how fit you were, or how fit you want to be again, your leg has still had the same major surgery that other people's legs have had.
Your leg was cut open, tissues pulled aside, the ends of two large bones sawed off, then large foreign bodies were hammered and cemented into your bones, before all your tissues were put back in place and you were sewn back together.

That created serious trauma to your leg. Your tissues will need time to recover and repair themselves - and that can take as long as a full year. Being fit is not going to make those tissues repair themselves any faster than anyone else's.

It is not advisable to start any strength training before at least 3 months after a TKR. By using 20 pound weights at this stage, you are running a serious risk of not only compromising the healing of your knee, but also causing stress and damage to your back.

Please ease off.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom