• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Deeship45 recovery!

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Well today has been a very painful day. I don’t know why, it just really hurt! Enough so that I was crying for a while . Took tramadol, elevated and iced. Still painful, hopefully tomorrow is a better day!

FayeL

Country
Canada Canada
Hello my fellow Canadian (I am in Vancouver, where are you?) and fellow hip birthday! (Sept.6 posterior approach) Your picture looks like my beloved prairies! (born and raised in Winnipeg!)

So sorry to hear of your pain today (you are not alone) and wanted to say thank you beyond words for your check in- it is so comforting to hear of someone else at my stage that is still feeling all those pains and pulls! (mine seems to be an ache primarily over my right hip and into my groin, unless I am walking too long, in which case it invariably goes to the outside of my right knee.) I am still on my discharge meds of Tylenol extra strength 4 times a day and Aleve twice a day. Not even thinking of cutting back these days.

Are you doing any physio? I had to back away the last 3 days as my groin pain was really triggered by the hip flex exercises!

Love to hear what kind of guidance you received from your care team! (mine was sorely lacking!)

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Deeship45 Aww.. I'm so sorry to read this. So I returned to your first page to refresh my memory in regards to your first post op reports... it sounds like your surgeon had to do some extra work on your hip. So I am thinking that your recovery will be a little tougher than others? Please don't get down in the dumps, you will bounce back, it just takes a lot of patience.
I had a blip on my recovery by making a sudden move, too. Like you did with your kitten. It set me back for longer than a week, and I recalled feeling pretty grumpy about my progress right at about 4-5 weeks.. I resumed a lot of icing and resting and things perked up quite a bit.
In fact, I still have sore days,, not painful, but sore enough to grump and grouse about. the dreaded stiffness, you know? And I am over 3 months.
my implant itself feels great, it's the spoiled rotten, entitled muscles and attachments that won't get with the program.
Speaking of kitties. mine is walking across my keyboard and trying to rub her face on my hand while typing. :kitty:

So, maybe you can up the time spent icing and resting? Take care and keep your chin up.. It does pass.. and you aren't even a full month yet. :friends:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Deeship45
I'm sorry you're struggling with pain so much that it's bringing on tears. :console2:
I'm wondering if you're undermedicated given the pain you describe?
Also wondering how active you are and if taking OTC meds around the clock for a time may help you to be more mobile by easing some of your pain and stiffness.

The forum Nurse, Josephine, often recommends Extra Strength Tylenol at 1000 mg every 6 hrs, not to exceed 4000 mg in any 24 hr period. You need to include any other medications containing Acetominiphin into the daily calculation so you don't go over the 4000 mg within 24 hrs.
You may want to consider this as an option.

Wondering how many mg the Tylenol Arthritis is that you're taking twice daily?
If it's (2) 650 mg every eight hours, you may find taking 1000 mg of Extra Strength Tylenol 4x daily for a time will bring you more relief. Josephine often states that most meds only remain fully effective in the system for 4-5 hrs, no matter what the dose. In taking it every 8 hrs, you're going at least 4 hrs with no medication in your system, giving the pain time to build so the next dose takes longer to be effective.

I agree with CricketHip in relation to icing. If you're not already, ice for 45-60 minutes, no less, each time you ice. Target at least 4x daily. Possibly you can ice while working, since you're sitting anyway. I've included the article on ICE from the Recovery Guidelines for quick reference.

Also consider using the Activity Progression For THR as a rough gauge for a safe activity level at this point in time. Please keep in mind that some will excel and some will lag behind.

Hopefully you'll find some of the suggestions you're receiving beneficial. Wishing you comfort, speedy relief and brighter days! :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Hey @FayeL !! I am in Southwestern Ontario that is a pic of my hayfield last fall. We moved to our little farm last summer and it makes me so happy :happydance: I am doing physio, since last week. Few stretching exercises and some light strengthening exercises for those weak thigh muscles. It has definitely helped my range of motion. Yesterday she only did some deep breathing and relaxation techniques because of my increased pain. She also suggested making sure I stay on top of my pain meds

@CricketHip thank you! At least you know it’s the muscles, right? I’m sorry you’re still feeling that pain though! Hopefully it all works it’s way out soon. I believe we made the right choice, I just need to learn patience I guess :angel:
@Layla thank you, I will try the Tylenol 500mg x 2 every 6 hrs today and see if that helps! Physio suggested that yesterday as well. She also suggested breaking up my approx 4 hrs of work (even though I already do get up every 20-45 min to pee and walk around.) She said to maybe split it into 2-2 hr sessions, with some deep breathing and relaxation exercises in between. So I will try that today as well!
Here’s hoping for a better day :thumb:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Friday @Deeship45
Hopefully you find some of the changes you make beneficial.
Wishing you a better day and a beautiful Autumn weekend!
Stay in touch :)

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: @Deeship45

Happy One Month Hipversary :flwrysmile:

One month out was a tough time for me.
Ready for things to get on back to easier... wondering still if all would work out ok.:nah:
You know this recovery road is anything but a straight line.
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

Thankfully, all temporary.
Trial and error is the way I had to work out how much sitting, how much walking, and things seemed to change daily.
Early days my friend.
Healing hugs xxxx

kfisher119

Country
@Deeship45
My right THR was done on 9/6. My surgeon led me to believe that by 4 weeks I’d be almost back to normal but I can feel I still have quite a ways to go. Please don’t feel alone in your journey. My first two weeks were pretty brutal and transitioning from walker to cane was also harder than I expected. So much muscle pain! I’m sitting here this morning with my ice pack and coffee and wondering when I’ll just be able to get up and start my day with a brisk walk with my dog. I know I’ve come a long way from where I was when I first got home but it’s going to be awhile before I feel as good as new. But everyone here is so understanding and encouraging, they’ve gotten me through some pretty low points and really help me to stay optimistic. As much as we need patience, we need support from others who have limped down this path ahead of us.

I see my OS for the first time post op later this week. He prescribed walking only, no PT. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say, I’d like to say plenty to him about how poorly prepared I was for the post op experience.

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Hi @Layla :wave:
Thank you for the anniversary wishes! Today was an emotional one. Which from what I understand happens to be part of recovery also. I am not generally an outwardly emotional person, unlike my mom and sisters but today that was definitely me! Still sore - keeps me from being able to do everything I want - which is probably a good thing. :gaah::nah:

@kfisher119 I’m so sorry that your surgeon led you to believe you would be so much further ahead than you are now. I’m not sure where I got the idea that I too would be doing so much better! I think some of it was the surgeon, some was the nurses, a lot of it was just people in general who thought because of my age and the approach, I would just bounce right back! Logically I know major surgery takes time to recover from, but I still have a hard time getting past the belief that I should be totally recovered by now! This site is so wonderful and the people are incredibly helpful and supportive :friends:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
A one month Anniversary! Congratulations!
You are correct in that your body's soreness is there to prevent you from overdoing it. You are doing well.. sorry to read your post about being so blue. It makes sense, though, doesn't it? You feel good enough to do extra stuff until it does't feel so great after all.
It's like a yo yo!
Take your time and relax as much as you can. Things do get better.. :console2:

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
One month seems to be prime time for cabin fever and post op blues.:sad:
It certainly was for me. I had a major meltdown over not being able to retrieve a bottle cap that rolled under the TV stand.:cry:
Take another look at this.

Keep the faith... this too shall pass.:yes:

Hope your Sunday is Sweet!

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
One month seems to be prime time for cabin fever and post op blues.:sad:
It certainly was for me. I had a major meltdown over not being able to retrieve a bottle cap that rolled under the TV stand.:cry:
Take another look at this.

Keep the faith... this too shall pass.:yes:

Hope your Sunday is Sweet!
Definitely needed to re-read this, thank you

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey @Deeship45
How are you doing at almost two months post op?
We'd love to hear of your progress next time you pop on the forum.
Hopefully all is well and you're feeling stronger and more energized week by week. Will look forward to an update.
Until then....all the best to you!

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Hi @Layla thank you for thinking of me! Things are going fairly well. So much slower than I anticipated, but I am moving much better. I am not using any walking aids in the house and only one crutch when I am doing a lot of walking. Driving the car and sitting in a proper chair still hurt. Up to about 4 - 4.5 hrs at work, but have to drive 20 min there and back so haven’t been able to push that much farther yet. Still easy to overdo it! Hope everyone else is recovering well!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dutch81233
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom