• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Deeship45 recovery!

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
I made it to the other side! The surgery went well, my husband spoke with the surgeon afterwards. He said something about the middle of the femur being so small that he had to do a lot of reaming. Also I went in with a leg length discrepancy already due to limping on the hip for quite a few years and most heavily over the last year. He believes he has corrected that! Surgery time was 8am and I was home by 6:30pm. It did take quite a while for the nurse to get my extreme pain under control - which really surprised me. I have a high pain tolerance so I didn’t expect the pain to be so bad!! I have no restrictions, weight bearing as tolerated. Well it isn’t tolerating it right now :bignono: So I am using a walker and finding myself nauseated every time I get up and walk. I have been taking gravol with the narcotic as well. Lots of water and icing. Early days yet, it will get better!

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Welcome to Recovery and Congrats on the new hip! It sounds like you're doing well aside from the nausea.
I hope that eases soon for you. Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop back often. We'd love to follow your journey and support you along the way!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Deeship45

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you @Layla ! I find myself dropping off into sleep constantly and haven’t had much of an appetite. Throat is a bit sore too, so swallowing is difficult. Banana went down easily though! Still having a lot pain with walking, but feel like it is slightly better.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Deeship45 sleep is a good thing, take advantage of it while you can, it's very healing. Appetite will hopefully return fairly soon, mine was kind of blah for a while. Try to make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids, will probably help with sore throat along other things. You're still very early into your recovery and the first two weeks are usually the crappiest. It does get better, rest, ice, elevate and take it slow and easy.

Debru4

graduate
Country
Welcome to the forum---lots of nice folks on here who have a way of lifting your spirits as they offer advice and support! It sounds like you are off to a good start. :flwrysmile:

If you continue to be nauseous, check back in with y our surgeon's office and they can either change the nausea medication you may have been sent home with, or prescribe one if you don't have one yet. I was a mess my first few days after surgery due to the medications they initially gave me for pain relief. With them came severe nausea. :gaah:After 3 days we did call for a change in medication---I wish I had called sooner, as it would have made those first few days a lot less traumatic.

As @Elf1 mentioned, there's nothing fun about the first week or two, so don't lose heart! Go slow to go fast---no need to push too much activity quite yet---gradually building up is best. :loveshwr:

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Thank you for the kind words @Elf1 and @Debru4 . It is very encouraging and comforting to know others go through the same things! I have started to read some of the recovery guidelines again. Very good advice in them!

Hipster64

Country
Hi @Deeship45 : Welcome to the wild and wacky world of recovery. Elf1 is 100% correct that the first two weeks are the crappiest. I felt completely helpless, angry over my temporary loss of independence and frustrated that things would never get better. In fact, I wore the same things for two days straight-oversized T-shirts and sleep shorts- and just slept in them, only changing every other day. Of course I wore no makeup or jewelry-no reason to seeing I wasn't going anywhere.

But guess what? After my initial two-week post-op OS visit, things began looking up. I found that once I had my sutures out and was attending outpatient PT, that I now had a reason to get dressed in the morning and not look like a slob. Slowly but surely, I regained my independence back, and you will too. I also had home PT for two weeks right after surgery which consisted of very simple exercises and light walking, and that was a major help. And as Elf1 stated, ice and elevation are your friends.

Good luck on your recovery journey, and keep us posted!

swimmer77

Country
Congrats on the new hip! There is lots of good info here and different experiences to read about. You are on your own little "journey" as I like to call it. And to reinforce..............rest, ice and elevation are absolutes. I found that out a couple of times.

Good luck with your recovery.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congrats on your new hip! Hang in there, it gets easier. I must say that I'm one who didn't view the first 2 weeks as that bad? I think I was so happy to have it over with and loved sleeping and watching re-runs on t.v.
Maybe because I also kept my pain med schedule running like a military mission!
I hope you have a good weekend without too much upset and discomfort.

@Deeship45

DEL2019Sep-7

You're over the worst! Congratulations! Your story probably is the story of most here. I had my surgery on Aug. 27th and slept the first 3 days I was home. Mostly from pain medication, but our bodies have been through a great trauma. We shouldn't underestimate that and allow them the necessary time to do what they need to do to heal. As my surgeon's assistant told me at the hospital, "We didn't take you into a back room and tickle you!" LOL True dat!

I've actually loved my recovery the last 12 days because I love to read, watch interesting YouTube videos and watch a movie or two or three! I can and have done all of this without any guilt at all, sometimes for hours on end, nor do I experience any pressure that I need to be at work! I've been very good, almost obsessive, about keeping pain at bay, and now my pain meds are practically nothing except Tylenol. Every now and again I need to ice, but only when things flair a bit. We're all different in our healing time-lines, but listening to the positive feedback from those here on the Forum and keeping your eye on the prize of a fully functional hip really helps to keep a positive attitude. Remember...This too shall pass...

I wish you all the best in your healing journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
I had Netflix on this afternoon and watched a couple of movies that I had seen before, because I assumed I would fall asleep and I did :sleep: My husband got me all set up in my recliner with water, tea, an applesauce in case I could eat, my meds with instructions and the timer on my phone so that I’d remember to take them. Then he and our 14 yo son went to a car show. So glad they went to do that together!
I want to slowly start weaning of the dilaudid and tramadol soon. But tried too quickly last night and was in agony by 3am. So will take it easier now.

DEL2019Sep-7

@Deeship45 I'm glad you got a laugh. So did I and it also brought me to a certain level of reality knowing what trauma my body had just been through!! I actually teared up when you told me what you did this afternoon, watching movies, sleeping, your husband loving and attentive by your side. Awesome. Self-care is the BEST! As is a little support from loved ones. My girl friend brought me flowers yesterday. Can't tell you how those little beauties cheered me up! It's often the small things...

Re meds: Most of the time I' down to just a few Tylenol. Like you, however, 3-4 am is my wake up call. Pain can be really nasty. So I will then take an oxy and drift back off to sleep an hour later when pain abates. I've learned how much sleep means to healing. AND because I haven't slept well this last one year and half, as do most people who have injury/osteoarthritis to their hips. It seems to take that long for Western Medicine to finally give approval or wait til certain dysfunctional critieria show up before they give permission for surgery. Soooooo grateful for sleep.

Have a great evening. Keep up the wonderful healing loving attention to YOU! :angel:

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Very sore today. I was walking slowly with the walker and our little kitten ran out of nowhere and jumped up my operated leg. I automatically reacted by yanking my leg back and it hurt terribly. I thought I was going to be sick! Luckily I wasn’t and made it back to my chair where I immediately elevated my leg and iced! Even with my meds on board I am still hurting :sad: So frustrating!

DEL2019Sep-7

Ohhh, so very sorry for your minor set back. I can only imagine how that must have hurt. I know that I micro manage each and every movement when I walk, but to have that unexpected "yank" happen, can definitely leave already traumatized tissues, not in a very happy space. Sounds like you're doing everything you can to minimize the insult (you may have to forgive that little rascally kitty, LOL). Hopefully, this will be forgotten quickly so that you can continue on with your healing journey. All my best!

Bergame

Country
Hi @Deeship45 - That is frustrating when you are doing everything right in your recovery, and then have a setback. Not sure this will make you feel any better, but these unexpected bumps are a normal part of recovery and we have pretty much all had such trip-ups, whether coming in the form of pets or children or simply overdoing it. Keep icing, icing, icing and nap as much as you can. I iced so much that I felt compelled to ask my surgeon if I could possibly freeze the parts that are supposed to be healing. He reassured me that that was not going to happen, and I continue to ice a few times a day at almost two months out. You'll get there!:) :-) (:

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi my hippy pal:wave:
I remember those early days and they are rough.
Hope you are staying on top of your meds and if so, consider letting the OS know if you think you might benefit from a different potion.
Some drugs work better for some folks.
Keep the ice going and I am hoping things level off soon.
Healing hugs:console2:

Debru4

graduate
Country
You aren't even a week out yet, so even without the "attack of the kitten", it is perfectly normal to have some days feel a whole lot worse than others. And the movement you made when startled probably did put a little extra pressure on those healing parts. No worries. You will continue to have pains as you become more active, but it will become manageable--more like an annoyance rather than a huge worry as you progress. Right at first most of us are tentative, and unsure of what the assorted pains mean. If you read some of the early posts by many of us our question often was, "Is this normal? Should I be worried?" Even those who have had a previous replacement often find new questions with the second. What a gift to have a place to "ask the experts" who have experienced it too! :loveshwr:

OP
OP
Deeship45

Deeship45

Country
Canada Canada
Hello! Just an update at close to a month out of surgery. I am slowly recovering. Wish it was faster but understand that these things take time. I am still on two crutches most of the time because I still have a fair amount of pain when I put all my weight on the operated side, but trying to use one whenever possible. I have been doing about 4 hrs of work every day, while sitting in my recliner (perks of being a bookkeeper ). But at that point my brain says enough!
I am still surprised at the amount of pain I have on a regular basis, although I know it’s just angry muscles and tendons that are just taking some time to calm down. However, I am only taking 2 - Tylenol Arthritis every 8 hrs, so that is an improvement! I have only done very light household chores and have cooked a couple of times - just easy meals. With Thanksgiving coming up in a little over a week, I hope to be able to cook the meal for my family by then! I will let everyone else do the clean up though :sleeep:
Anyway, this forum has been a wonderful tool for me! I don’t post a lot, but I sure spend a lot of time reading and recognizing that I am not alone in this journey! Thank you everyone :thankyou: I’m sure I’ll continue to be here most days for the next few months!!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good update! You are doing well to have the right attitude, congratulations.. You sound like you are gradually improving.. so what if it's a little slower than you thought, the key word is 'improving'
I would give you a happy emoji but apparently I don't get to use them yet.. hahah they're not activated on my screen..

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
allylaw25
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom