THR Debbie’s New Right Hip

Dmcfad2

post-grad
Country
United States United States
So, I am just setting up this recovery thread. My surgery is tomorrow, April 13, at 9:45 am. I had my left hip done in 2014, so I am curious to compare recoveries. I am not scared. I just want it over with. I have been in terrible pain for months! I had a bad staph infection in November. I was in the hospital for a month. When I got out, my right hip had gotten so bad that I couldn’t walk without a walker. They made me wait for surgery to make sure I was free of any infection. My blood work has been wonderful for 2 months now, so they gave me the go ahead and moved me up from May 11 to April 13. I’m so happy. I’ll be reporting here after surgery. I wrote here almost every day after my LTHR. It was a great source of comfort and I have been able to go back and see what I dealt with on a daily basis.

All the best tomorrow @Dmcfad2 ! See you on this side soon. I'll leave your recovery articles here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Jaycey thank you. I remember your name from my last surgery And also recognize a couple of other admin names. This is such a great source of information and comfort.

Glad to hear they got on top of that infection. Must have been a maddeningly frustrating period for you. But hope is on the way!!!!

Ask the best for your surgery today ..:friends:
See you on the Healing Side.

Hi Debbie :wave:
Thinking of you today and hope you’re resting comfortably with pain well managed.
Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey.
@Dmcfad2

My surgery went well. I was in the OR at 11am and woke in recovery about 3pm. They gave me some pain medicine and I slept for awhile. The surgeon came in, said the entire crown of my hip was wasted away. I’m feeling very little pain. Best of all, the excruciating hip pain is gone! All in all, it was a good experience. I’m so happy. He also said that my other leg was longer from my previous LTHR, (which I already knew. I’ve had pain in my left thigh along my IT band ever since). Anyway, he said there was quite a discrepancy, so he lengthened the right leg today just a bit. Kind of split the difference because he didn’t want to match the other or that is a whole new set of problems. He said I will be noticing it at first, but I should get used to it in time. I’ve been compensating for it ever since my last replacement......7 years! I will be going home tomorrow.

I'm glad everything went well. I'm reading how you are doing, and I cannot imagine my having to leave the hospital same day as surgery - since my doctor is insisting I will be discharged at noon (my surgery is at 7:30).

Congrats. Glad everything went well. Looking forward to reading your recovery journey. I have two more days before I can join you on the healing side.

@Dmcfad2 Welcome to the healing side! You will indeed notice the leg length and you may feel more discomfort as muscles and tendons are stretched to even up the LLD. I had the same thing done during my RTHR. Ice the area and take your meds to stay ahead of the pain.

Safe journey home!

Post op, day 1: I am feeling surprisingly well today. I was discharged about noon. I had some pain in the middle of the night, but the nurse gave me a breakthrough pain med and it worked. I am walking with the walker, putting full weight on my hip. There is a lot of surgical pain when I am up and moving. When I am seated, it’s not bad at all. I’ve been icing it. I just feel that this is going to be a wonderful recovery. It feels so different from my LTHR in 2014. I start PT next week. I am going to take it easy because I don’t want to cause problems by doing too much too soon.

So nice to read your update, Debbie. Glad you’re safely home recovering in the comfort of your own space. It’s great to read you’re feeling well and have such a positive outlook. I believe it will take you far. I hope you have a peaceful night.
@Dmcfad2

@JohnWilky @Mersada thanks for the encouragement! I appreciate it. Post op, day 2: I slept in my recliner last night. It was pretty comfortable. My hip is pretty sore, but I can put weight on it. It just hurts when I do. I’m taking oxy 5-15mg minimum every 3 hours or as needed, along with Celebrex and Tylenol. I woke last night about 3 am to use the bathroom. It was hurting pretty good and I decided to take 15 mg, but I really don’t feel like it helped very much. I have minimal pain when I’m sitting, but the pain ramps up when I move. Anyway, I’m expecting the pain to get better daily. All in all, I feel fantastic. I am using the walker right now and concentrating on walking heel to toe.

Glad things are going so well and you’re on the healing side. This is where the swelling/pain of traumatized tissues kicks in-after most of the anesthesia is out of your system. It is the relative norm for this week or so: soreness, sleep disruption, fatigue. Just keep up the pain meds, icing, elevating and moving regularly, test when you can. Wash, rinse, repeat. Lol. It’s a good recipe to get you through these first days/weeks. You’re right. It will get better, one day at a time. Patience and positivity are key and you seem to be doing great with both!

Early days my friend. That leg is recovering from lots of trauma. Keep that ice going - boring I know!

Hello there Debbie @Dmcfad2
Just saw that you have gone & done hip no 2...
so glad you are doing well this time around....it sounds like your head is in the right space ... and that really matters....
Every day will bring less pain & discomfort.... I found paracetamol during the day & adding codeine during the night helped the pain.... trouble is it all stiffens up when you sleep.... you’ve done this before & you will find this recovery easier I hope.
Sending lots of love & hugs for just the best recovery.... go easy on the physio... less is best!!!
love Chrissie of

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie