TKR Dear Diary, Surgery Complete

Not so good is my extension, at 8.
Please don't be overly concerned by this. Extension takes longer to come back than flexion for the majority of us. I didn't reach full extension until I was almost six months post-op with my first TKR.

You may find this article helpful:

 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, SnowHare!
Glad the visit with your surgeon went well. I hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Happy June! :flwrysmile: :SUNsmile:
@SnowHare
 
Dear Diary,

Three months now. There's the good, there's the bad, and there's the ugly.

The good - flexion is getting close to 140. I'm starting to try to walk without the cane.

The bad - I don't have much standing strength. Swimming is sometimes painful, especially along the outer areas around the knee. Not doing whip kicks at all. It's a no no. I'm not walking very quickly, more like slow and steady.

The ugly - I sometimes wake up in terrible pain, even though I didn't do anything, sometimes literally anything the day before. It occasionally will resolve with getting up and walking around. My extension is still not very good.

I started roller balling the outside of my knee. One spot shoots pain in my arm, so I know there is a nerve involved there. I suspect I have T-band syndrome. I quit going to group physio, which was worse than useless. I'm going to go on my own to see a physiotherapist one-on-one. I need to take Diclofenac (suppositories) for pain. Sitting down and standing up hurts, especially on the outer edge of my knee and the inside.

I'm back to swimming, starting at half my usual lengths. I'm adding two lengths each week. I'm trying very hard to be observant of proper walking, as in heel, toe, expose the bottom of my back foot when I flex it and try to take longer strides. Walking with intention is a bit slower. My first few steps of the day are more like flat footed hobbling.

By and large, I'm much happier with this knee replacement. It's on me to keep working on getting stronger and developing more endurance. I will confess to not being consistent and faithful with my exercising.
 
@SnowHare I think you meant for the above post to be in your own thread, so I moved it there. It’s sounds like you are experiencing typical 3 month symptoms. Best wishes as you continue to heal! :flwrysmile:
 
On my L knee I had some awful morning pain from about 8 - 12 weeks out; hurt so bad I had to use my R leg to ease my L leg off the bed and the steps from the bed to the toilet - not too far - were excruciating, then it quickly resolved after a minute more of walking. It came out of nowhere and literally disappeared one day! I sincerely hope yours does the same magical disappearing act.

IT band issues certainly do happen to a bunch of us too.

Here's an article about the IT band.
 
A bit late in the conversation but maybe somebody else will benefit? I got a commode and I removed the receptacle and I placed it over my toilet. The raised seats did not fit my toilet but the commode did, it doesn't even touch the toilet. Also, I could not find a bath chair that fit in my shower but the commode did! It was light and right there over the toilet and the daily showers also kept the commode clean(!). And (I'm blushing) with the commode it was much easier to wash my underbits...
I'm 3.5 months and the pain is beginning to moderate, I'm on constant Tylenol but only half the Tramadol. I will be free of that in a week or two. Zingers still surprise me but it's all better than it was last week and compared with the first month? Amazing.!
 
Dear Diary,

Four and and half months! Where has the time gone?

Saw the physiotherapist at the rehab hospital. I am the victim of my own laziness. Yes, I have pain. Yes, it does get better with exercise. I am to do the beginning exercises of sitting leg lifts, holding the lift, doing little pulses when my leg is extended, and just one lift after another, gentle baby squats and lunges, as well as an exercise for my incredibly tight hamstrings. I need to do more (read any) walking. I mostly swim for exercise.

The physiotherapist said that I need to do more icing, as my knee is still a little too warm. It's not infected, just inflamed. It's hard to ice, when you are camping off grid, in a converted minivan.

I have been camping and have doubled and then some my distance on the trails, using trekking poles. An outing takes about 45 minutes, with stops for photography. I recommend Activator poles, which are designed for people with arthritis. You can Google them.

Most people who meet me are surprised that I am as mobile as I am. I don't tell them about the pain standing up and sitting down, or every time I have to push in the clutch in my car. I am walking without assistance, although I'm not the speediest. I just need to build up a lot more strength.
 
Thanks for the update! Good to read you're making a better effort to regain strength and stamina. It should pay off. Stay safe and enjoy your time off the grid!
@SnowHare
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom