Dear Diary: Surgeon Followup
I saw the surgeon today.
Good stuff - I am now bending at 128 degrees. The clinic physiotherapist was quite impressed.
Not so good is my extension, at 8.
We discussed my pain. She agreed with the group physiotherapist that it could be from overdoing it, or maybe I may have twisted my knee. I had a couple of nights this week of excruciating pain at night, so bad, I thought about adding some oxy to the ibuprofen-acetaminophen-diclofenac cocktail. I normally have a fairly good pain tolerance.
She did identify another possible problem, after she examined me. Evidently there is a small muscle in the knee area that is very, very weak. She taught me how to engage it without engaging the quads. She said she could just feel a bit of a flutter when the muscle engaged. She checked my other knee and said it was weak as well. I need to practice lying down and engaging this muscle. I have been overcompensating with my quads. This might explain the pain I have, especially doing sit-stands, as the pain is exactly where this muscle is.
The surgeon said he was impressed with my recovery, with the exception of the poor extension. He said to keep working on it. As for the soft tissue pain, he said that some people have more sensitive nerve endings in their soft tissues. Hey, you're talking to someone who has extra nerves in her mouth and needs mega, mega injections before getting a filling.
There is no evidence of undue swelling, nor infection. I have a bit of a scab on the incision, where I scratched at a rash. I can drive now, but should probably do a wee bit of drive just around the neighbourhood, as I drive a standard, and this is my clutch foot. Once the scab heals, I'm good to go back to the pool.
Right now I'm concentrating on walking straight, heel to toe, with an increased stride, hips facing forward, as I seem to be slipping back into old walking habits.
It's so true that everybody's recovery is different. I've talked to a couple of other people who recently had knee replacements. One was fairly pain free after a couple of weeks, another fairly pain free after a couple of months, whereas I'm still struggling. But on the other hand, I totally rock the amount of flexion.