Guest viewing is limited

TKR Dealing with RLS after TKR<

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had that awful weather yesterday and last night. Now, it's up to you. I guess we can look at it as God's way of slowing us down!
 
The weather raises a question for me...it's cold, rainy, windy miserable here.
Prior to surgery, my knees would react to changes in the weather...if it got a lot colder, or it was going to rain...knees ached. I haven't really noticed anything like that since replacement, or maybe there's just other stuff happening with them that makes it so I don't...

Anyone else noticed a change in the way knees respond (or not) to weather changes?
 
@Rhodyrhody .
Same weather here in Maryland yesterday. The only change I saw in my knees were the little umbrellas that they opened to stay dry :loll:
 
Anyone else noticed a change in the way knees respond (or not) to weather changes?
Some people notice a difference. Others don't.
The weather doesn't seem to affect my knees, but my mother's knees were very sensitive to it.
 
My knee always bothered me when there was major changes in the weather, especially cold fronts. However, over the past several weeks, I’ve noticed it doesn’t seem to get as achy as I remember. Even the soft tissue aches I’ve had the past month or so from my IT band and tendinitis don’t seem as noticeable.
 
Have to pay attention to my knee to see if it’s now a weather forecaster.
 
The weather raises a question for me...it's cold, rainy, windy miserable here.

Anyone else noticed a change in the way knees respond (or not) to weather changes?

I am a walking barometer this week here in southern Ontario. Before surgery it was brutal to the point I often had to miss work and spend the day bawling with heat packs. That was for about 15 years.
Now I feel the ache around the knee more than the actual joint but I really feel the pressure changes.
 
Sometimes my knee doesn’t act up until the day after rainy weather. As SusieShoes said, mine is more of a reporter, than a predictor! :rotfl:
 
When we had the remnants of Michael come through here a few weeks ago, my new knee still pained for about 1/2 hour. I was very disappointed. I wrote about it on my thread and the explanation I found online as to why.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
2 days into week 8 , and for the most part it’s going good. Have the normal hang around swelling that I understand can last up to 6 months, but it’s not excessive. Can anyone pipe in on this. When I flex my knee ,it gets to a point where it feels like knee is super tight, like it wants to go farther but knee won’t let it. Pushing farther just causes pain across knee. Don’t know if I am explaining this correctly, but it’s like swelling left in knee just gets so tight it can’t go any further.

Second, I have what feels like a lot of mechanical movement in the new joint. Not painful, I can hear and feel like little pops as knee works. I expect this is probably normal since it is an artificial knee, but I am beginning to feel a little like the tin man. Am I alone here? See the doctor a week from tomorrow for 8 week checkup so will ask him about this too.
 
2 days into week 8 , and for the most part it’s going good. Have the normal hang around swelling that I understand can last up to 6 months, but it’s not excessive. Can anyone pipe in on this. When I flex my knee ,it gets to a point where it feels like knee is super tight, like it wants to go farther but knee won’t let it. Pushing farther just causes pain across knee. Don’t know if I am explaining this correctly, but it’s like swelling left in knee just gets so tight it can’t go any further.

Second, I have what feels like a lot of mechanical movement in the new joint. Not painful, I can hear and feel like little pops as knee works. I expect this is probably normal since it is an artificial knee, but I am beginning to feel a little like the tin man. Am I alone here? See the doctor a week from tomorrow for 8 week checkup so will ask him about this too.

Will be interested in what you hear back. I can relate to both of these.
 
Remember to write down all your concerns so you have them with you when you go to MD. I tend to forget them if I don't bring my list.
 
When I flex my knee ,it gets to a point where it feels like knee is super tight, like it wants to go farther but knee won’t let it. Pushing farther just causes pain across knee. Don’t know if I am explaining this correctly, but it’s like swelling left in knee just gets so tight it can’t go any further.
It is probably still some swelling. It's still early days - remember that ROM can continue to improve for at least a year post-op, so you have plenty of time.
I can hear and feel like little pops as knee works. I expect this is probably normal since it is an artificial knee, but I am beginning to feel a little like the tin man. Am I alone here?
Lots of people feel and hear these things. It should decrease as time passes.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
@Softtail, I’m very familiar with that tight feeling you are describing. From what I understand in discussions with Josephine and reading articles here on BoneSmart, there is a “fat pad” just to the outside of the knee cap and other bursa throughout the joint that may still have residual swelling. What I’ve been doing for the past several months (mainly as part of my stretching routine for my IT band and inner thigh area) is to sit on the floor with my knee bent and foot flat on the floor. I slowly pull it as close to me as I can and then hold my ankles and slowly, gently pull it a bit closer. I stop short of pain, but pull it to get that tight feeling as tight as possible. I hold it for 10-20 secs and then slowly straighten my leg till it’s flat on the floor. I then lean forward and try to touch my toes. I repeat this at least three times. I’m finding it really helps to stretch the tight ligaments as well as any scar tissue that might be present. At first it was very difficult but the past few weeks I’ve seen a lot of improvement in terms of flexibility and feeling more loose than tight.
 
Thanks Navy will give it a try. I figured early on in my rehab it was probably normal, but it’s strange how it gets to that tight point and that’s it. It has gotten better as evidenced by my gain in flexion, now around 115 to 120.
Just looking for a little encouragement that you can always find here lol.
 
@Softtail ... you are experiencing the old "tight band across the knee" feeling. It's very common and sometimes can last for months into recovery. Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library that explains more about it:

Tight Band Feeling
 
Jamie just read it. That could be it. Wish I was a patient person lol.
 
Well 2 days away from completing week 8 and doc told me I could resume golf, I tried that out today. Got 9 holes in, and feel pretty good. Can’t say it’s all pain free, but any pain I had was good healing pain , and not the pre surgery kind. The golf swing itself caused 0 pain or restriction. Knee felt good, but I am sure it will tell me later on that it’s not real happy , since the twisting walking probably put a bit of strain on muscles , tendons and ligaments.

Got home and settled in with a Taco Bell Taco salad (gotten quite fond of these lol). Wrapped knee in its favorite ice wrap elevated it and jumped on bonesmart. Taking the wife out to an all you can eat Indian buffet tonight, which is a first for me. Is everything made with curry? So nice to have a working knee , and although far from healed , it’s nice to do some normal activities again. Next obstacle will be getting released for resuming pickleball , but got a feeling that’s gonna need a bit more healing time to make that happen.
 
@Softtail, as a former racquetball and handball player (years ago) I wouldn’t even think about pickle ball right now and I’m over 6 months! Maybe I’m just overly cautious since I haven’t done any activity like that for years. Golf and bowling are enough for me. Just be careful when you do, you don’t want a setback because you got impatient and pushed it. But you are the best judge of your readiness.

Great to hear you got on the course this week. I’m jealous. Been too wet or too cold here in MI.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom