TKR Dealing with RLS after TKR<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your pain I've tried different treatments but have been having good luck with 1200 gabapentin and .075 of the Mirapex about 2 hrs before bedtime stuff knocks you out but it does work but if I have any type of sweets at night I pay for it …..your rom looks great looking forward to the day when this will be fully healed i will be retired next May and looking forward to some road trips and chasing my grandkids around
 
Joel you are very early on in your recovery. Patience and a positive attitude will serve you well
 
@Softtail, first off... very impressed with the pic! Amount of bend looks very similar to mine, so that helps confirm my flex to be between 130-135 as I originally guessed.

Second, I remember snow falls like that! Sometimes miss them, most times don’t. Here is SE MI, everyone thinks 6-8” is a LOT of snow! I’m quick to tell them they don’t know what they are talking about. When I lived back in NY in the 70’s and early 80’s, I remember snow being reported in feet! My sophomore year of college we had one 48 hour long storm that dumped over 40” of the stuff! Driving down streets was like driving through tunnels.
 
Navy, you are right, used to get huge snow falls. Not so much now. Mostly buffalo and up in north country ,ie Watertown ,Oswego. Hope it holds off till We get out of here after Christmas.
 
How rude they didn’t provide it for you.
In Ontario, there would have been no charge at all for this surgery. No co-pay, no deposit, no nothing. We have a similar system here in BC and my surgery was also at no charge. There is no money in the system for extras such as replacement dressings for home use. Of course, the hospital provides anything they use in the hospital! I had to buy dressings to be applied after showering. They are very inexpensive
 
Last edited:
Hey bonesmarties been awhile since last post so thought I would update. Nearing 3 months post op and still feel like I am ahead of the game. See my surgeon tomorrow for checkup and will ask him about the few remaining things that irritate it, or cause me to wonder.

First is the feeling when I touch the outside of my knee with fingers as I bend the knee it feels like there is gravel under the skin ( as best as I can explain it). It doesn’t hurt just a strange feeling.

Second when I go up or down stairs , at a certain bend there is a minor pain in outside of knee just to left and below knee cap. Again it’s minor ,and probably just part of healing process, but will point it out. Flexion and extension are fine and walking is pretty much pain free, and I can play pickleball with no problems, just do not attempt to run as of yet. ( yes you can play pickleball without running if you learn to scoot pretty good lol)

All in all pretty happy at this point. Far better than before replacement, And to a point where old right knee is holding me back. I start the process with the right knee this coming week with scheduling Cat Scan so Conformis can start to build my new insert to fix that one come next April.

May have a new bonesmartie join the forum this week if she is up to it as my sister in law just had her TKR Friday . Same doctor,hospital , and Conformis knee. I mentioned to her how much I have gained from this forum, and thought she could benefit from it too, but don’t know if it’s her thing to join a forum.

Back after visit with surgeon on answers to my questions,which I believe will be ....All That’s a normal part of the healing process ,at least I hope so.
 
@Softtail, great to hear from you again! The pain you describe going up and down stairs is exactly the same as what I occasionally get. Please share what your OS says! I don’t have another follow up until my 1 yr mark. My last visit was in late July. I haven’t considered the occasional pain to be significant enough to warrant a trip to the OS. Based on my own research and discussions with Josephine, I’m suspecting ITB tendinitis in that area. It’s very close to where the lower portion of the ITB attaches to the tibia. Right now it’s better than it was a month or two ago. I’m really curious to what your OS thinks.
 
Will do Navy. I am guessing ,in my case anyway, it’s just early on and when you bend knee, it puts your body weight on a bent knee vs. a straight one when standing, and just can’t quite support the weight yet. I am comparing that theory to my right leg , cause that is really painful when I try to support my weight with that knee bent.
 
Doctor visit over and was told “gravel” feeling as I bend knee is probably due to some scar tissue which should get better as knee continues to heal. Same with my left legs ability to support weight which will continue to improve. Of course all this is what the expected outcome should be,so will just have to wait n see.

Made appointment for next cat scan to get ready to do the right leg. Not gonna happen till a nice 3 month get away in Florida. Scheduled surgery in mid April. Be counting the days till then. A necessary evil unfortunately.
 
Been awhile since last on forum. Now 6 months out knee is very good. No regrets having it done , and am gearing up for right knee on April 19 th., so will be spending more time on forum again once that’s done. Other than occasional ache at night , pain free and most of time I forget it was ever done. So for anyone just starting their journey with a new knee ,be patient it’s worth it. Just hope my right knee goes as well.
 
@Softtail welcome back..
Looks like we will be 10 days apart on knee #2. I was booked for Fed 5 but when I arrived for surgery they told me it was cancelled due to lack of beds..bit of a shock but I am gearing up for April 9.
 
Been awhile since on here for my left knee since I have been focusing on my right knee recovery now 5 weeks out, but thought I would update my left for anyone who follows long term recovery. I was at PT for my right knee last Tuesday , and my therapist decided to give my leftknee a workout too. Wow did that open a door. I was thinking my left knee was pretty well home free , but the workout showed me different. Not in terms of swelling or knee pain per se, but overall muscle recovery. My leg was definitely sore, and muscles were telling me they were along way from fully recovered. Of course part of this was due to right leg holding me back from a great deal of weight bearing exercises. Just wanted to update this leg to let fellow bonesmarties know ,just because the pain is gone doesn’t mean those tendons,ligaments and muscles are not still healing. At least when new right knee is back up to par there are no more kneesto replace and hold me back.
 
Awesome update @Softtail ...I came to the same conclusion last week...my left knee is finally doing better and I am moving around more but in doing so finding out how out of shape the supporting muscles and tendons are...
Glad we are both done both knees...now to get those muscles back working properly.
I laughed as I told my husband I have strong quads and weak hamstrings on my left leg and weak quads and strong hamstrings on my right....his response I should be good at walking in circles
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom