TKR Dealing with RLS after TKR<

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the top of my scar ,just above my knee ,there is a hard spot . It’s about 2 inches long by1.25 inches wide. If you run your hand down from top of thigh , it becomes very noticeable as a hard lump. It does not hurt,
I'd just leave it alone and let it heal, along with the rest of your leg tissues. There's no need to do anything about it.
 
. I wasn’t really concerned about it , just curious if anyone had had it and asked their OS about it for better explanation. I figured it was just a normal part of my specific healing process, but like everyone, I was just looking for that little bit of conformation lol. Thanks for feedback.

Ok aside from this , almost 5 weeks post op, things seem to be progressing nicely. Pretty much off all pain killers, back to pre op status. I do still take some Tylenol an hour before PT, and will for another week or so, but don’t need it at home. Walking more, but am finding out just how out of shape I have gotten laying around while this knee heals. I did my morning exercises and then washed 2 of our cars, and I was exhausted. Something I am not used to. I think it’s also partly do to my lack of exercise pre surgery ,because my leg was so bad. Joined the Y, to hopefully build up some upper body strength, till my leg heals enough to do more cardio with it. Definitely along way to go here. I know patience....just wish it was one of my virtues
 
but am finding out just how out of shape I have gotten laying around while this knee heals.
You are not out of shape, your body has been surgically injured and you are feeling the energy drain of your body working hard to heal.
 
My surgeon explained that there would be a spot at the top of the incision that might form a temporary lump. He said it was where he knotted off the internal sutures. The spot would eventually dissolve and go away. Which it did, twice, once on each knee. :snork:

You might have to put up with exhaustion for a bit longer. Your body is still devoting most of its energy to 1) keeping you alive, and 2) healing. There’s not much left over for exercise AND washing cars. In another month or so, though, you’ll notice you are getting it back.

My knees were so bad, and I had become so inactive, I had visible atrophy in my left leg. Once I got my energy back, and my pain and swelling was way down, and I could start taking longer walks, I built my leg muscles back up pretty quickly. It took a little while. Muscles, though, respond really well to exercise even when flaccid and weak. :running: Good idea to use upper body exercises to keep up your cardio!
 
Thanks so much everyone for encouragement and feedback. My sister in law is having her knee done in November, and she is as hyper as a cat on a hot tin roof, so I mentioned she should get on bonesmart and get a good idea of what she is in for, but knowing her, she probably thinks she will be back in the game in a couple weeks. All the information here is priceless, and has made the transition so much more bearable.
 
Second day on week six and pretty much status quo. Been back to work driving the wine tour Trolly here in upstate NY one day on the weekend, and find creative ways to elevate and even ice thru the day. Backed off my exercises for the entire day Saturday since knee was a bit sorer than usual from last Pt session. It’s Sunday morning and knee feels ok, so day off seems to have helped quiet it down. My walking gate is pretty much normal heel toe now, and feels ok, with usual clicks n clacks it likes to make. Not sure what numbers are on flexion and extension, and no one seems concerned about measuring, so that’s cool.

On my Trolly yesterday, had a PT tech, and she told me I appeared to be nicely ahead of curve. Pointed out ,as we all know, that recovery is a long process and not to be discouraged when things don’t progress in leaps and bounds. It’s nice to have the positive feedback, but is still frustrating to know how slow recovering from the TKR takes. Hanging in there looking forward to day the knee is not my main daily focus, but aren’t we all
 
@Softtail, if my wife and I get back to our old haunts next year, I’ll have to look you up and go on one of your wine tours. Of course, we’ll have to get someone else to drive so we both can enjoy ourselves!
 
Navy sounds like a plan. By then both of us should be jumping up and down. I felt my knee was bending better yesterday in PT so tech decided to measured it. Came in at what she said was between 115 and 120. I am guessing closer to 115, but either is better than 100 to 105 that I was 3 weeks ago. I could tell I was able to take a more natural step as of late, so the increase makes sense. Didn’t measure extension , but again not concerned as much with numbers as I am with how it feels when I do ,or try and do, normal things around the house.

Back in jacuzzi, which is a godsend, and noticed I can bend my knee further while sitting in it than a week ago. Knee has very little pain in it, for longer periods of time , assuming I don’t go and get too aggressive at PT. Told my PT tech yesterday last Thursday may have overdone it , so backed off yesterday a bit and all is well this am. 2 more weeks and back to OS for 8 week checkup, and I was told that is the magic week where most of the bone trauma is pretty much recovered.

Starting some pool therapy this afternoon at local Y, which should be a good thing ,since it’s getting cooler and darker here in upstate NY , which sucks, and outside activities are slowly decreasing. Looking forward to that Florida sunshine , and my new knee to traipse around on lol.
 
It’s so much less stressful to not fixate on numbers. You’re getting really good results, sounds like. I’m betting your surgeon will be quite happy with his/her handiwork. :) It’s true, too, that most people encounter that “magic” you speak of somewhere around the 6-8 week mark. The body has finished most of the heavy-lifting of healing by then and you can feel your (physical) self start to move on.

I too might take one of your tours one day! I got to love upstate New York during the years my son attended Cornell. Beautiful part of the world! Great wines, too. Mr. Shoes and I are planning a vacation with the son and his wife and child in the Finger Lakes region. If so, a wine tour is in the offing.

Enjoy your new lease on traipsing! :walking:
 
Susieshoes, not to tote my own horn, but if you come to the finger lakes between May 7, and Nov. 15th you have to book a seat on the wine tour Trolly out of Geneva, and you will get me as your host I love doing it , and get to tell everyone on the Trolly about the beauty and offerings of the finger lakes.

As for that magic magic in the 6 to 8 week zone I so hope you are right. Didn’t make the pool today but on the schedule for tomorrow. Another good day, home exercises going good , and knee is being very nice so far.
 
Made the pool today, and gotta say it is a workout so to speak. Just walking in the pool , doing some kicks , knee bends etc. felt pretty good in pool, and after getting out and getting home my muscles knew they had tried something new. It’s often said there is no better body workout than swimming, with the hydrostatic pressure also keeping swelling down. Still iced and elevated knee for 50 minutes when I got home , and knee feels good tonight. Looks like this will be a definite add on to my recovery saga.
 
Most people seem to like pool therapy. I am the exception.

At 4 weeks post op my first pool “therapy” session was 50 minutes of either bending exercises or walking. It took 3 painful days to recover. I did not go back to the pool.

Once again, we are all different. My uncle was fond of saying, “that’s why there’s chocolate and vanilla.”
 
Jockette, you may be right. I went to PT this morning with a slightly sore knee, and he had me do some stretches, but thought knee was a bit swollen, so he told me to take a couple of days off and rest it. Pool must have been a bit overkill for first session. Live n learn.
 
Nearing the end of week 7 and I have to say my knee is in a marvelous place ,and hope it stays there. Can stand longer, sit longer, and pretty much walk without any discomfort. Sleep and Boswells Everything would be great,except I have developed a stomach pain last two days, which starts after I eat, and hangs in there for some time. Sometimes after big meal borders on nauseous . Unsettling after having gone thru the knee surgery, to have this **** take its place.

Hopefully it will work itself out next few days. Maybe irritated stomach due to all the Tylenol,oxycodone,and aspirin I took over the last six weeks . Bummer to get thru the knee saga,at least so far, to have this replace it. Trying to dwell on the bright side ,that being the knees recovery.
 
Do antacids help? Also, a probiotic should help.
 
Sistersinham , yes taking some Zantac to see if it helps. Just minor after lunch and so far an hour after dinner not bad either. Wife says I am a worrywort, and she is right, cause anytime my body doesn’t feel right I start searching on the net , and often nothing good comes from that. Hope it resolves itself otherwise it’s a trip to the doctor for me
 
@Softtail, not making fun with the “funny face” but your comment hit my funny bone a bit:) as I know just what you mean about worrying whenever something doesn’t seem right.

I never used to be overly concerned about minor issues until a major health scare a little over two years ago that I almost didn’t recover from. I didn’t realize that digestive issue symptoms were probably an early indication of a problem until I ended up in the ER with a perforated colon. A colonoscopy 9 months earlier showed no issues, so I shrugged it off as just a “sensitive” stomach. Now, both my wife and I get real edgy whenever a minor flair up occurs even though we know that the issue that led up to my surgery has been corrected.

I’ve developed an outlook that I’d rather be concerned about nothing than regret not acting on something that turns out to be serious.
 
Nearing the end of week 7 and I have to say my knee is in a marvelous place ,and hope it stays there. Can stand longer, sit longer, and pretty much walk without any discomfort. Sleep and Boswells Everything would be great,except I have developed a stomach pain last two days, which starts after I eat, and hangs in there for some time. Sometimes after big meal borders on nauseous . Unsettling after having gone thru the knee surgery, to have this mess take its place.

Hopefully it will work itself out next few days. Maybe irritated stomach due to all the Tylenol,oxycodone,and aspirin I took over the last six weeks . Bummer to get thru the knee saga,at least so far, to have this replace it. Trying to dwell on the bright side ,that being the knees recovery.

@Softtail Sounds vaguely familiar to what I went through, only earlier on. Things were going ok, and then smacked with some kinda stomach problem. I also thought it coulda been from all the stuff I was taking day after day. I stopped taking pretty much everything after that (a couple weeks in) and just lived with the pain. (Confession: I was not silent/macho about it, I talked about it. Frequently. Just ask Mrs Rhody).

Kicking off Week 7 in such a much better place. Like you, am able to sit, stand, walk longer. Although, I usually do have some discomfort, it's lessened significantly. And one of the best things I've noticed - and am curious if you are, too - is, even if I do something to cause a severe pain, it goes away SO MUCH faster now than it used to even a week or two ago. Makes me think these guys might actually heal up after all!
 
Right on Rhody. Exactly , even if we do something to tweak it, it comes back quicker. I noticed my big improvements in bed oddly enough by being able to turn leg back n forth without the pain it used to bring. Oh and remember how it felt week one n 2 if you dropped the leg off couch or bed or bent it too quickly. Holly 5 alarm fire. Don’t know if you ever got one but a former TKR friend told me to get a strap with loop on it to put around foot to help lift n move first few weeks. Don’t know how I could have gotten thru without it lol.

Nice to look back to that time when we were scared ****less, we were the exceptions to the case, and our knees were gonna turn out terrible. Last question do you remember how long your stomach pain lasted? Mine is a little milder tonight, but along with it I have some lower back pain which I have related to the excess amount of time spent on my back first 3 to4 weeks ,so muscles are weak. Damm sucks to get old
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom