Guest viewing is limited

THR Day Three - Going Home

@Lucy155 Adding to what Layla said - all the muscles connecting bones to each other are also connected to the other muscles. If you limped on a bad hip for quite a while it is going to take time for all those muscles to get use to being in a new normal and get reconditioned to functioning with a new hip.
So for a while it is going to be usual and customary to have odd aches, pains, and twinges in areas not directly related to the hip.

That wedding soup sounds delicious!
 
Hi Lucy.
Piece of cake. Nope. Ive not listened. came home felt fine. too much walking and I cant walk at all now. I cant see a way through the forest at present but I recon most people get there it just takes as they say Time.

Steveeasy
 
Lucy,
When I would stand at stove, counter, sink for too long my back would be screaming so it's all quite normal, ice, feet up, rest.
Trust me, you will come to recognize the days you can and can't get stuff done.
I wake up, have a loose plan for the day and do what I can! LOL!
Patience.
 
Stopping by to check in, say :hi:and Happy One Month Anniversary!
Please let us know how your recovery is going, hopefully things are falling into place and you're enjoying steady improvement. Hope to hear from you soon.
Until then...all the best!
@Lucy155
 
Need some education regarding how easy an infection can happen if I have a colon resection done at 12 week post op? I had an unrelated perforated colon and sepsis, two DAYS after my hip replacement surgery. The colon surgeon did not want to do a resection at the time due to the major concerns about infecting the hip. After five days in hospital with IV antibiotics and 30 more days of oral 875 Mg of Augmentin 2x daily, I am now back on the same dose of Augmentin due to Colon infection flare again. I am scheduled for resection surgery on December 14. Hip surgeon is concerned, stating he wants me on the Augmentin immediately after the colon surgery. I guess I don't have a choice, but can anyone tell me how likely the hip will get infected with all these me antibiotics running through my veins?

P.S. Its eight weeks and I got all restrictions lifted, walking a perfectly normal gate. I walk 4-6,000 steps a day without being tired!! Incredibly happy with my hip!
 
Hello Lucy,
Thanks for stopping by with an update. Great news on restrictions being lifted and enjoying a normal gait once again. Thankfully you're happy with the progress you're making with your new hip.

I am sorry to read of the the struggles you've had with infection in regard to your colon. My guess is that between your PCP, OS and surgeon they will take every precaution considering your history. Possibly others will stop by to offer feedback. I wish you all the best, a successful surgery, smooth recovery and good health in the New Year.
Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@Lucy155
 
Hi Lucy, I haven't anything insightful to offer, but wanted to offer you my best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Thankfully we live in an age where there are many different medications/antibiotics and surgical methods to make certain your hip remains healthy.

Please keep us updated.

@Lucy155
 
Hello Lucy,
Was stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! I was reminded that your colon resection was scheduled for December 14th so I am now wondering how you're doing? I hope you are resting comfortably and you have an uneventful and speedy recovery. Please let us know how things are going as time allows. We do care.
@Lucy155
:console2:
 
Hello everyone! Once again time for yet another joint replacement, now my left hip. I thought I'd check on Bonesmart to see if there are new tips and tricks to getting this latest new hip scheduled and me back to normal gait and pain free.
As an update, my previous THR recovery was complicated by a perforated colon just 48 hours after being released to home. In the past 3.5 years since I have had two additional major abdominal surgeries requiring very long recovery times. I had two other surgeries as well, so I guess you could say I've been "recovering" for most of the last three years.
Two months ago I completed 3 months of PT, determined to get back to normal gaits and energy levels. We discovered my hip flexor muscle was not responding to my wanting my leg to lift off the table! Good news the PT worked, and I got my strength back as well as my energy level while working on back and leg strength.
Well, I started back to gym, senior aerobics classes, and a continuation of PT like routine when BAM my left hip started to scream! Yep, it hadn't been asked to do "normal" activities for years and now I was told a hip replacement is absolutely the only option to get my mobility back.
Here I go again, trying to get ready for another RECOVERY from major surgery. Feeling sorry for myself at the moment. It's June, summer, and I'm going to be stuck recovering again after working so hard to get back to normal. I haven't set the date for surgery. I'm actually scared of going under the knife again.... what complications could happen this time!
I need encouragement to get it scheduled, believing I did it before, I'll do it again.
 
I need encouragement to get it scheduled, believing I did it before, I'll do it again.
Welcome back to Bonesmart! I’m sorry to read you’ve had such a tough time.

Let me take a moment to explain Bonesmart’s current membership. There are two levels of membership, a Basic Member, and a member of the Insiders Club.

Just to let you know, you are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to only search the forums, read about other recoveries, and post on threads that are already established, as long as your post relates to the original poster’s topic.

If you want a more personal and interactive experience, including starting a thread of your own, as well as input from the Bonesmart Staff, I hope you will choose one of our options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small contribution cost to be a member of the Insiders Club goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like you've been through a lot. Only encouragement I could give is look at how the first removed the pain. I found it just as difficult if not more to go for the second despite having good results from the first.
 
Hi Lucy, welcome back...sorry it's under the circumstances you shared.
I certainly understand your hesitation in scheduling another major surgery and also get why you're feeling discouraged given everything you've dealt with over the last few years. I'm sorry you're carrying so much, Lucy.
If you want to enjoy the Summer and not have it be about recovery, and your pain is still manageable, it might be worth considering waiting until after the Summer? Of course, if pain is significantly affecting your quality of life, that's a different story. Whatever you decide, we'll be here to support and encourage you through it all.
Please join us!
A great week to you! :SUNsmile:
@Lucy155
 
Back
Top Bottom