THR Day nine, graduated to crutch, staples gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm praying that mines never kick in chris . so far so good. I'm still taking my meds. As on time
 
Congratulations @grandma chris - good to have the surgery behind you - I am pleased for you.

The first few days can be tough until they sort out the right pain med protocols for you Chris. If you have pain, tell them.

Keep the ice going, it is a natural pain relief :)
 
Don't be shy abaout telling the doc and nurses that the in meds are not doing it or you. Insist on good pain relief. Now is NOT the time to be a stoic or try to be a hero. You have a right to good pain relief!

Peace and love to you.
 
@grandma chris - congratulations (even if you're asking yourself - what??? :) ) hoping the pain is under control. Wishing you blessed days and restful nights! Keep positive - you've been so encouraging to all - here's to you, now!! Xo
 
Hi all, I had a great nite last nite. They believed me that my pain was 7 8 and medicated appropriately. In the end I fell into a deep sleep at midnight and woke up in a lot of pain at 3. They gave me iv hydrophone and I slept until 6. Pain seems to have settled down now and holding. I've been getting meds at 3/4 and it's working for me. Had a nice wash I in the washroom - standing feels good! Physio tried to make me work harder than I wanted, but my Dr agrees with me. He's great and said I will get out Saturday but not until Sunday if I felt more comfortable. Talking with a nurse she said they send you home with tramacet - not if I still feel this way!


Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
 
Yay to a good nights sleep, adequate pain meds and a dr that listens to you @grandma chris

Keep up the excellent work. Thinking of you xxx
 
Hello grandma Chris sounds like you got this thing under your control. I'm glad your getting better and better. Things are the same on my end nothing new,
 
Well everyone, I am home! I arrived at about midday today. The last couple of days in hospital were very easy - some walking with the walker, learned crutches and to go up and down stairs. Had a shower! Yay!!! I asked the doctor when it would be safe to go back in the water for aqua therapy. He was a little hesitant but said should be four or five days after the staples come out - making sure none of the skin is broken. I'll wait! I had a good first day home, managed to get myself a cup of tea and some 'get up and go cookies'. Wish they'd take effect:heehee: It's very early days yet but I'll post what I'm glad I did and what didn't really pay off.

I'm glad I - practiced wiping with my non-dominant hand! Not a good time now to be practicing that!
I'm glad I - got two grabbers, set up the high toilet seat, baked the 'get up and go' cookies.
I'm glad I - got extra ice cube trays and an ice bag. They last sooooo much longer than the gel packs.

I'm not so glad that - I cleaned myself out with the cookies before I went in to the hospital!
I'm not so glad that I got the toilet seat extension. tomorrow, my DH is going out to get a commode chair - we can at least fit it over the toilet. I just didn't feel the seat was sturdy enough. All I need is a fall now!

I've already had a nice long snooze this afternoon and I can feel another one coming on now. So far, so great!
Love
Christine
 
Thrilled things are going so well! God bless! Sending a big hug and a warm welcome home.
 
Wow...what a positive report @grandma chris ...it certainly does pay to be prepared!!!!

What are the get up and go cookies? Have I missed it somewhere?

I loved learning how to use the stairs...much easier than first imagined. And a shower!!!! Is there anything better

So glad your home....continue your great recovery
 
Good morning all! @Vetgirl. the 'get up and go' cookies are a recipe that came in our pre-op booklet, just basic cookies made with prune puree, and the other usual culprits of butter, whole wheat flour, etc. They are chewy and delicious and they really work! And yes, they finally did take effect yesterday :)

I had a good night last night, didn't sleep right through as I had set my alarm. I am determined to take my meds on schedule, I do not want to get sore. Besides, I spend the days snoozing anyway - no lack of sleep for me! In the night, I Googled a stack of pillows and of course found the picture that @Josephine had posted. I built myself a stack sort of like that and I slept for the rest of the night with my leg up - what a difference!!! I don't know why in the hospital, they weren't that keen on elevation. I think it had something to do with both ends of the hospital beds being able to come up at once, putting the patient into a VEE position.

Anyway, my operated side had been quite swollen, not enough to cause a problem, but certainly enough to interfere with it's ROM. When I woke up this morning the swelling was down and I had so much more motion in that leg! So I will add that to my routine.

I have been using the Daily Medication Record that someone had posted, but I am going to modify it somewhat. As this is now my only, most consuming job, I am going to add all my tasks and exercises to it. So on will go the meds and schedule of when to take.

I'm also planning on putting in a 8 - 10 minute walk every hour. This will include visits to the loo, to replenish my water glass, my ice bag etc. It will also include the 'over the roll' quad strengthening exercise (just a modest few Josephine!), hip stretches with a towel, butt clenches, foot roll, foot flex/extend. etc. I'll just document to ensure I don't forget anything - very easy to do!! Another first down - first night at home!
 
@grandma chris Good advice on the practice of using the non-dominant hand. I wouldn't have thought of that.
You are doing great!
 
And I'm very pleased to hear it will only be a 'modest few'!!

I don't know why they don't advocate elevation in hospitals either. It's the same over here only I tended to put it down to a shortage of pillows! But I do know the nurses tend to get this elevation mixed up with having a pillow behind the knee which is a definite no-no. But then, you saw the pictures with the crosses and ticks on them!

You now also know that swelling has a big influence on one's ROM - yes?
 
Well done @grandma chris. So glad you are going well and your first night at home was good with the elevation......I didn't get any info on elevating or Irving in the hospital either and it SO helps. Thank goodness for BS ....think Josephine's right....lack of pillows seemed to be a huge problem!! Keep up the good work ...slow and steady! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Great job grand ma chris, it's good to see your doing so well . Last night was my first day back home and so far so good. May God continue to bless you
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom