Guest viewing is limited

TKR Day 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have told you - I got one from Aldi a couple of days ago - for £9.99! Awesome!
 
New pillow helped a bit but I still had to get up in night as I still get that tight pain at back of knee. I had a walk round then ended up on sofa so I could keep icing it which helped. Why is it so impossible to have two good days in a row. Night before last was good so was yesterday then today I think my knee is bored and has decided to shout at me for a while! Getting stir crazy now not used to doing nothing. Still it is said that patience is a virtue!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
must say @Stompy63, you need better pain control. You may be sleeping better with co-codamol but that's not saying much. You cannot rest, heal, rehabilitate efficiently without it. You're not going to get addicted and you're well within your rights to ask for / demand / expect better than you're getting. I like the Ibuprofen touch, surprised he didn't recommend some blue Smarties to go with that - just as useful in this situation.

Those enhanced programs are probably pretty good for a footballer in the prime of life and peak physical condition. Here in Australia they fail miserably and put people further behind in recovery. *sorry Josephine - this is the info I've gotten from talking to P/T's and nurses, I don't know of a real study you can use*

Just because someone tells you to jump off the bridge doesn't mean you should do it. Someone telling you to do lunges at this stage is asking about the same thing. I've just started them at week 14 - later than some people because I started with poor ROM (as you're experiencing - I feel that people in this situation need to be extra careful not to overdo it, more exercising creates more heat and more adhesions in the knee!)

I've never heard of anyone actually breaking through adhesions by lunging btw. If the adhesions are there, this exercise won't break them and only makes things more owie. It is counter-intuitive but for many people that have gone through this, they find they get faster results, feel better and reduce swelling faster - by doing less.
 
oh just wanted to add - most of us don't get one full nights sleep and definitely not two in a row until a couple of MONTHS down the road. We all lived through it by getting fitful sleep at night and napping during the day. Oh - and having a couple of places to sleep, like the bed, sofa and recliner.
 
At seven days I'd tell people that I had about four 'good' hours a day and those four hours usually didn't happen at the same time. And, if I was lucky, they'd happen while I was awake!
 
New pillow helped a bit but I still had to get up in night as I still get that tight pain at back of knee.
You need Tramadol not co-codamol. Co-codamol is for headaches! Ask your GP for something stronger - you could add winsomely, "I've heard Tramadol is good these knees"!
I had a walk round then ended up on sofa so I could keep icing it which helped.
Are you icing at the back of your knee as well as the front?
Why is it so impossible to have two good days in a row.
That's the way it goes. 'It' always likes to keep us on the hop. But basically you're under-medicated.
 
I'm a big believer in the slow and steady approach to getting back into action. I can tell you with knee #1 I was pushed a bit hard (though I didn't really think so at the time) and my recovery was slower than with my recent knee #2. There was no way I was walking 20 minutes in the first few weeks. It takes a while but the result is worth taking your time and listening to the real boss--the knee! :bow:
 
Good question no haven't iced the back off my knee as have been using the cuff so maybe a good idea then to turn the cuff around to get the cold onto the back of my knee?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
You have been given some very good and wise advice here on your thread, from pain meds to exercise etc. I am Day 9 after LTKR, having had RTKR end of November 2013. I can only tell you that I did a whole lot of things wrong with first knee ie not sufficient pain meds or long enough, over doing it with exercise, and my knee was hugely swollen, ROM was poor, but I thought I'd exercise my way through it...dumb! How can you even attempt lunges? Don't you have stitches or staples in your knee? This new left knee is being treated to rest, ice, elevation and Tramadol; I can only tell you from experience that it is going much better! Sleepless nights go with the recovery. I don't think I slept 3 hours last night, but the night before was very good. Get yourself some good books or movies, and follow the excellent advice on this forum to give yourself a good three week startup. I'll follow your thread and wish you luck.
 
Yes, move that cuff or cold packs around. I would do one side for a while and when that got really cold do the other side for a while. And I was usually bundled in a blankie too b/c I'd get cold with all that icing. :)
 
Forgot to say I can also walk for 15-20 mins before need to sit down and ice my knee.
Wow---at seven days, that is going too far. It is not about how far you can walk before you need to sit down.

It is all about how far you should walk---which is not that far or for nearly that length of time. you are not an athlete in training, and your knee is trying to speak to you---are you listening to it?

I would also ice the back of the knee--if you need to, simply add a bag of frozen peas behind the nee if you do not want to move the cryo-cuff.

Take it easy, slow down, ice, elevate, and realize that you are now in a marathon---not a sprint. It will take quite some time for you to be fully recovered---so what is the rush? you cannot rush things, and the more you try to rush things, the slower and more frustrating your recovery will be.
 
Taken all advice on board. Slowed exercises down and walking too. Keeping elevated and iced both front and back of knee as much as possible. Slept better last night spent whole night in bed for a change, still got up to stretch out and a walk round but actually went back to sleep for a change. Will see how today and tonight goes. Had a melt down the other day and took it out on my poor husband who has been brilliant but now feel the black cloud is getting slightly higher each day. Long may it continue!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Forgot to say I can also walk for 15-20 mins before need to sit down and ice my knee.
I missed this! (thanks Tim!) You should not be walking that long at only 1 week out! Read this again Activity progression for TKRs

I also want to emphasise my advice here - in red
static quadriceps 7 x 1 x 3 daily - also known as short leg raises. I'd do 2 of these once in the morning
straight leg raise 7 x 1 x 3 daily - I'd do 2 of these once in the morning
extension hang (where you place a towel under the heel, this hurts, supposed to do 3-4 mins, currently managing 2 mins, knee flexion only 50-60% flexion x 6, (feels like there is a vice around my leg or a band which I cannot break through) 7 x 1 x 3 daily - Poor extension is always present in the first few weeks so don't get to worried. You're only one week out yet so it's to be expected. I wouldn't do these until week 3 at the earliest.
put my foot on the bottom step and push my knee forward as far as I can go to help the scar tissue but do not know what this is called 7 x 1 x 3 daily - they're called lunges and very hard on your knee. I wouldn't do them until week 10 at the earliest but I really wouldn't do them at all? They anger the knee big time
 
Now in week 3. Pain during day much better but then I am always elevating and icing. I am addicted to my cryocuff as it helps with the pain so much. Still do some exercises but not as many. The bend in my knee is doing well, just struggle to sit on chair and push it backwards to get a bend there, only do this once or twice a day so I don't strain it. Nighttime is still difficult just like for most of us. I start off in bed then when I wake up hurting and stiff so get up, put my cryocuff on and sleep on sofa which seems to be the most comfortable. Each time I wake up on goes the cuff. My wound is healing nicely too. As each day goes by I feel a little better. Go to physio next week so will be interesting to see what they say. Onwards and upwards if I wasn't so bored!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Nighttime is still difficult just like for most of us. I start off in bed then when I wake up hurting and stiff so get up
Are you taking a dose of pain meds during the night? If you only take one at bed time and none until you get up, then you will be in pain. These meds need to be taken at regular intervals.
 
Yes Always take meds at Least an hour before bed and some during night. It is not so much pain as like restless leg syndrome and tiight, no matter where I put leg it is not happy. Today no pain but still taken pain meds as just about to go to bed. Still me and my cryocuff are best friends which really helps.
 
The pain meds will help with the stiff feeling too. You will gradually find you don't need to take any overnight, especially if you are icing overnight. Stompy63 + cryocuff=:roseshwr:

You are early on and lots of us had trouble getting or staying comfortable for long at night. Hang in there.
 
Just entered week 5, I can bend my knee to at least 90 degrees if not a bit more which is good. It's the extension I am having trouble with as my physio says my knee does not lay flat enough when laid out, there is a gap between my knee and what I lay on. I have been doing more extension exercises the last few days as told by physio but these just seem to have aggravated the back of my knee so now it hurts more in bed whether I lay flat or propped up. I am currently sat on sofa trying to get comfortable at nearly 3am. Mind you it doesn't help that I am also menopausal so have night sweats too. The doctor advised me to come off hrt before op (been on 12 years, early as only 51). I have taken meds and iced but the cold seems to make it tighter. Have been doing really well up to now and able to walk on one stick now. Not sure whether to stop exercises or carry on but don't want a bent leg.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Stompy63 interesting to hear about your rehab at this stage. I'm only 6 days into this process. I felt so sorry when I heard you were going through the menopause as well, that's no fun on its own. My cryo cuff looks like it's going to be my best friend for some long weeks too but it's a godsend in the night.
Hope you have a good day today, don't get downhearted. I am only just beginning to realise all the time these recoveries will take :groan:
 
Have been doing really well up to now and able to walk on one stick now. Not sure whether to stop exercises or carry on but don't want a bent leg.
i would continue to do the exercises gently for some time---no hurry---remember how long a recovery takes---so do not be in a hurry---you cannot rush these things.

Please do not be in a hurry to toss at stick away, too---use that to assure that your gait and walking mechanics are fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom