Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 5 post op hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there @Sb7767- I'm almost 5 weeks post op. I found that In the early days I was frustrated and down. for some reason I thought I was just going to bounce straight back afterwards as I was fairly active pre op. You can't bounce straight back though. We've had major surgery. Listen to your body and let it heal. It does get easier. Congratulations on your new hip.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 7 yippie 'NOT'....... I've decided that although everyone says it's the best thing ever I really can't agree, I've just spoken to my hobby about this and can only compare it to this.........like a appendicitis extreme pain remove the appendix instant relief however I feel worse for having the THR, why??? The pain is worse a lot more uncomfortable and stiff as anything .......I expected all of this so under no allusion that it wasn't going to be but nearly all threads quote 'the best thing I ever did'....I really don't think that or is it simply too soon???
I'm not the most patient patient I know that but keeping it real just worry it was the worse decision ever???
 
@Sb7767 - I too was like you one week in. I really struggled with how I was feeling. Everyone was saying they had no pain but I had pain and felt worse off than pre op. In retrospect I realise it was different pain. No bone on bone pain but so much stiffness. I was not prepared for how immobile I was even though I thought I was. I am now 5 weeks later feeling so much better. Almost back to how I was pre op. I had opted to have my hip done early before I became too deconditioned so was fairly mobile before the operation. I found it really hard to be so incapacitated but it didn't last for long. You have days when your don't think you'll ever get better and than one morning you get up and it is a little easier. Baby steps. Just listen to your body and the advice on these pages and you'll sail through it.
 
'the best thing I ever did'....I really don't think that or is it simply too soon???
WAY too soon. You are only 7 days out from major surgery! You are stiff and sore due to post-op pain. Are you taking your pain meds around the clock and as prescribed? Icing and elevating regularly throughout the day?

The best advice I can give you is please stop trying to fight this recovery. Just go with it. The more you fight and say you don't want this or wish you hadn't - the more frustrating it is. Give your body time to heal. What seems impossible today will be very easy very soon. You will not be in this state forever.
 
:dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy:@Jaycey thankyou doing all that.....just impatient I soooooo need to stop morning lol positivity all the way today:spin::spin::spin::spin:
 
If you read my RTHR recovery thread you will see a similar experience - lots of ranting! I was SO frustrated! Just keep in mind it's all temporary. Very soon you will see the benefits of this procedure. Just takes a bit of time.
 
I LOVE your sense of humour. You've been through such a lot :blackcloud:and yet you are prepared to let us have a chuckle. :SUNsmile: I cry at EVERYTHING and I've not even had the surgery yet, so you're fully entitled in my book. I'm following you and want to know how you progress. I'm sure you'll do well, it just takes time. :flwrysmile:
 
@Sb7767 I can relate to the frustration but the best thing to do is just roll with it and recognize that this is temporary. You will see progress but it takes time and can't be rushed. Just know you have a lot of support from the members here so you know where to come whenever you feel like venting - we all have been there and can relate. Hang in there; it will get better I promise. :yes:
 
@Sb7767 ....a kardashian booty!!! That's it! I have been trying to make my husband laugh. He is really worried about the return of our toddler Zoo. I will threaten to shake my new Kardashian tush in his general direction (never mind the granny walker) until he grins!

I was crying with the nurses into OR.....they were trying to move me about and prepare me for surgery. I think everyone understands that this is a very emotional time-
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Sb7767 just checking to see how you are getting on today. Hope you are feeling a bit more positive. Step by step things will get better!
 
Day 8. Slept reasonably well, and the hubby & son decided a walk in the countryside would be fun loaded wheelchair into the car and off we set, wrapped up snugly in the wheelchair got pushed all over ate chips in the winter sunomg did I need it fresh air was filling my lungs I so needed to get out even if it was in a wheelchair........
Have decided the DVT injection is to be done first thing with pain relief (get it over and done with)
Have worked out how to lasso my knickers on single handed (can't explain) now here's a new idea drying the operated leg without bending ................hold the towel full length and step onto the edge with the operated leg twist it gently around the leg like a snake then gentle remove your foot and pull up....may need to repeat .......one dry leg no bending winner winner chicken dinner
Dare I say it I'm having a good day.....
Tired check
In pain check
Had the sun on my face (-3 here in Nottinghamshire/bakewell) wind in my face blown of the cobwebs check
Relaxing with the fam
@Jaycey thats got to be an improvement by any standard thank you for caring :wowspring:
:wowspring::wowspring::wowspring::wowspring::wowspring::wowspring::wowspring:
 
The "getting dressed" milestones are nice, the day you on socks and it's not a struggle is amazing(and coming soon for you). Just know that we've all been there and are here to support you.
 
Aha - my hubby took me out for an airing to The Peak yesterday. It was gloriously sunny and cold but blue and shiny. Everywhere looked pretty, particularly the carpets of snowdrops - it really cheered me up. :flwrysmile:
So glad you're feeling and sounding much more UP - so happy for you. I think you need to make a YouTube recording of the knickerlassoo and also towelsnake drying techniques - you'll probably get an Oscar :heehee:
 
Amazing what a change of scenery and a little fresh air can you for your mood! Well done @Sb7767 ! Great update!
 
@Miss Muffet youve got to be joking day 8 not month 8 lol☺️☺️☺️☺️☺️ Bakewell plus chips ....you know what I mean...... The boys went up Thorp cloud while I sat in the car watching with a hot chocolate!!!! District nurse visit tomorrow (every other day she visits) I hope she doesn't tell me off
@Jaycey i hope it continues feeling soooooo tired I might beat my 11 yr old son to bed
Tomorrow is a whole new day :giggle::giggle: one step forward two back I'm sure:tiredwheel::zzz::tiredwheel::zzz:
 
i hope it continues feeling soooooo tired I might beat my 11 yr old son to bed
That was a mighty big excursion for you today. Energy drain - it will pass but you are right :sleep:.
 
And we wove our way through Bakewell only yesterday too - missed each other by a day.
Bet you're pushing out some zzzzzs now. Sleep tite :chillpill:
 
Day 9.
Woke up having slept reasonably well.....I say that because I love sleeping on my right side in the foetal position so that's not happening six weeks on your back!!!!! (No pun intended)!!! I do try bit like a log roll but it's not happening (non operation side).... Knee on the operated side still aches not quite sure why tbh?????
The fresh air yesterday was quite the boost and enhanced the sleep no problem not quite cutting edge stuff but was good enough for me, snuggled up on the sofa under a blanket till bedtime and felt very relaxed from the experience.
I do feel loads better pained yes but manageable and considering this time last week it's a massive tick for me❤️
Today's activities include 'half term homework' I did feel quite useless at the beginning of the week being a hands on go get mum and wife and gradually I'm clawing back my position so homework it is.
Following which the surprise is tomorrow we are taking him sky trail climbing (obviously not me), but spectators welcome and shouting support 30ft up is not beyond my capabilities lol.....
Next week the boy child and hubby back at work so it may be a lonnnnnnnnng week for me!!!!
Feeling good Check
In moderate pain Check
Frustrated Check (getting used to it though)
Sutures out Friday so Saturday is 'hot bath, candles, bubbles,cheeky Pinot,'my reward and try to sought these damn hairy legs out......some things I just won't ask my hubster to do and that my hippie chicks is one of them
Hope you all have a fab day
:bath::bath::bath::bath:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom