Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 14 Swelling and Muscle Pain<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be patient and let the hematoma be. Do they cause some discomfort or is what I am feeling probably attributed to the normal healing process?
Of course the cause discomfort, just like any bruise. For this is what it really is, just a big bruise. These are very, very common after such surgery. Have a look at these Bruising after surgery
 
@HippyHappy All recoveries are different and the cane will come when you are ready. I felt a bit shaky going to the cane. My doctor said at the 2 week point to try going to the cane and it was ok to go between the walker and cane if need be. I used the cane in the house several times, still having the walker close by. I used the walker at night if getting up for the bathroom. I was a bit nervous to use the cane at night when half asleep. However, after several nights of that, I started with the cane at night. I limp if I do not use the cane and anxious to be able to get rid of the cane. I am 5 weeks post op and going to the doctors next Thursday for my 6 week checkup.
 
@HippyHappy @Nivea, I agree - we all progress differently in our recovery and need to use the walking aid we are most comfortable with. Our reasons for surgery, the actual surgery process etc are all different so could affect our recoveries. I have a feeling you both are doing well!

I agree the learning to do things differently is difficult. My therapy team is constantly saying "why are you walking/sitting/fill in the blank like that"? Usually I have to say I don't know, I guess I didn't realize I was doing that. I really have to stop and think about things now.

I've been walking off and on with the cane for a couple of weeks. Still try to take it with me on outings/walks as a safety measure. Unfortunately, I've headed out three times this week without it. My forgetfulness is at an all time high! However, I did fine without it.

Stairs are something I am working on. Trying to use them in a normal fashion vs. one step at a time. Still have some pain near the what I think might be the greater trochanter area when walking up. I imagine the muscles are still healing. I am sure my IT band plays a little bit in that as well.

Enjoy your day all!
 
Hi @KsKid
I also have to "relearn how to walk properly", as I have limped for a very long time, that my gait is totally off. It's really difficult re-learning how to put one foot in front of the other, concentrating on when the heel/toe hits the earth, and pushing off the other heel/toe in the new corrected rhythm. (Easier if I was 12 month old baby just starting out to walk ! ! ! ).
Even though it's from "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," the song Put One Foot In Front of the Other is perfect for walking/gait training:

[Chorus]
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking 'cross the floor.
You put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking out the door.

You never will get where you're going
If ya never get up on your feet.
Come on, there's a good tail wind blowin'
A fast walking man is hard to beat.

[Chorus]
If you want to change your direction,
If your time of life is at hand,
Well, don't be the rule, be the exception
A good way to start is to stand.

I sang it every time I would do my hourly laps after both hips. My wife thought it was funny the first dozen or so times, but noticeably less thereafter. It really is quite the catchy tune though.
 
Hello @KsKid and @HippyHappy. I'll be 3 weeks out tomorrow for RTHR. I am just now transitioning from the walker to the cane and have only been out of the house twice, both for OS appointments. I have significant swelling of serous fluid under my incision which makes it painful to put my weight on the right side. It definitely affects my balance and confidence. The doctor calls it a seroma rather than a hematoma since I have no bruising but I suspect any swelling in the area would impact your walking. The seroma was drained twice last week and will be again this afternoon. It feels so much better when the excess fluid is removed, unfortunately it keeps recollecting. Good news is there is no infection and my incision looks fine.

Back to using walking aids, I still use my walker at night when I get up to use the bathroom and when I move multiple items around the house. I'm beginning to use my cane more during the day and gaining confidence and balance as I go. I don't think there is any predetermined time frame for moving from one aid to the next or to walk without one, do what works for you. I wish you both continued healing and pain free walking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom