THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Squirrellymom - good morning from England. Lovely sunny springy day here.
Are you setting up your postOp thread before tomorrow? :type:
Am thinking I just might do that the night before mine. Have a restful day and a good night's sleep later :friends:
 
@Cynthia777 Emotionally, I really am Que Sera. I am truly not nervous about the operation. I am more nervous traveling in the car into Nashville and being involved in an accident, either with a deer or another vehicle, than I am being drugged and going under the hands of a skilled surgical team. I'm not anxious about the pain as I really didn't experience very much pain with #1. The only negative feelings I am having is the knowing that I will be very limited for at least six to eight weeks. I know that I will be mobile and able to go short distances within three weeks or so but I remember the being so tired and worn out and irritable about my inabilities. I don't like that feeling as I am a doer and I'm very independent. Actually I'm so independent that I rarely "allow" anyone to do anything for me. It's like admitting that I can't do something. Probably one reason my hips are gone. I've always done all my housework, yard work, painting, climbing ladders, digging holes ... OMG, I've been compared to the energizer bunny and then, when my batteries die, no one knows what to do. Truly, probably not a good trait and something I should try to change since growing older means having to say, I can't and I need help. Even my kids don't think twice about me having a hip replacement or being in the hospital. My 32 year old daughter has to travel to New Mexico at the end of next week to take some depositions for a case she is working on and, without batting an eye, she asked me if I'd like to fly out with her on Friday and visit some of the wineries over the weekend. I just looked at her and said, I'm having my hip replaced on Monday and I don't think it would be a good idea to plan to travel by air or tour three to four days later. Roll Eyes. She wasn't being ignorant about it, it's just that after the first replacement she didn't visit for a couple of weeks and I was moving about fairly well and most everything was being done and I don't complain a lot so she thought it might be something I would want to do. I really can take care of myself, it's the husband and the critters that cause me the most anxiety. They are very needy. :puppysmooze:

@Miss Muffet Send some of that sunshine over here! :SUNsmile: It was almost down to freezing last night in middle Tennessee. Today is supposed to be in the 60s but it is very cloudy and a few sprinkles around. I need to spray weeds in my front pine island today as they are proliferating and I know that hand pulling is totally out of the question. I didn't think about starting a NEW thread for Hip #2 recovery. I planned to just continue this one. What do you think. Do most hippies do two threads, one for each surgery? I'll be excited to start the actual recovery for hip 2. The surgery is the least of what I have to do, it's the weeks of resting and recovering that is frustrating. Just bury me with my boots on :bicycle2: I'll be lounging in recovery mode and focused on FINALLY following your surgery and recovery. I know it has been a lingering journey for you and you so deserve your time. I'll be cheering you on from my sofa across the pond.

I talked with the person checking me out at Costco early in the week. She was standing on concrete, checking people out for hours each day. I'm not good with guessing people's ages but I'm going to guess mid 50's. She told me that she has had both knees replaced and disks in her lumbar spine fused. She said she felt great. She works standing on the concrete floor every day with no complaints. I wanted to jump over the conveyor belt and give her a hug and a kiss. They are all around us, we just don't know who they are. They are us and they are moving right along doing what must be done to make a living, be human and have a life. Inspirations all.:cheers:

Oh my goodness mucho thank you's @Readysetgo for the good wishes. I'm trying to absorb as much healing energy from this forum as I can as my dear friends and relations are all saying, well, you've done this before and you do so well that we know you will be up and about in a few days. I don't personally know anyone who has had a hip replacement. I have a good friend in Wisconsin who just had a knee replaced a few weeks ago so I connected with her for a virtual hug and she responded. :friends:I went to the nursing home yesterday where my 91 year old mother with dementia resides and I was reminded of how many are so in need of constant attention. I'd like to put it off for a few more years.

Going now to run errands on a Sunday morning. Changing sheets on the bed as I have to do the body wash tonight and I don't want to slide into bed with germs :scaredycat:I'll have an early morning wake-up call from my phone and, hopefully, by tomorrow night all this low back pain will be history. If not, I'll start looking for someone to fuse my spine.

Osteopenia and Osteoporosis be damned. :xmark: --julie
 
Sending good wishes to you, @Squirrellymom, as you head into THR #2! May all go as well as the first time. I had to laugh at the cluelessness of your daughter! My grown D has no idea of what I go through, as she is carefully shielded from most of it due to her own extreme neediness. Yes, there are definite disadvantages to being so very independent, especially as we age.

You say you are worried about your husband and critters post-op? I say to try and let go of your worry about hubby. He is a grown man and can take care of himself. He won't starve! My husband really stepped up to the plate after my THR, since I was NOT able to do many of the things that were necessary for myself, such as fixing me meals and doing the laundry. I just wasn't mobile or strong enough for the first several weeks. Regarding the animals, that is different. Hope you have good plans in place for their care, as they are dependent on us humans.

Anyway, best of luck to you!
 
Okay Madam Energizer, time to S L O W down for a few weeks! I wish I had half your energy! You go girl!!! I'm with you on not really having too much anxiety over the actual surgery and recovery, as I really must say I didn't have much pain at all either. My concern is the WBC count and not being able to flee the hospital the day after surgery. I was so shocked when I was told I had to stay after being told I was the "model hip replacement patient"! My surgeon uses some kind of pain block inside of the hip, so his patients bypass the initial pain most patients experience. For that I'm very thankful.
You've got this and it I'll be so nice knowing you're looking BACK at your THR's and not looking forward to a second one. I just can't wait for my day of looking back. :-)
 
@Squirrellymom
As the others, I'm sending a hug, best wishes & prayers your way. You are so organized & have the experience of the previous hip that will help you do so well. I learned my hubby could do more than I thought, even though he has COPD and numerous other health issues. He has taken good care of me so I agree with Krista's advice.

Like many of the others here, my daughter (who is an RN & lives in the other side of town) hasn't had much of a clue of what's going on this time. I think it's because she hasn't felt I needed her as much this time. I do have to say though that when I had bilateral TKR she came & stayed a little over a week. Otherwise I would have had to go with re-hab. I also think that our daughters may not want to act overly concerned for fear of alarming us.

I know you couldn't come to New Mexico now, but maybe if you do in the future we can meet & go to the wineries together. It's a fun thing. Besides our age & hip replacement, we also have moms about the same age. My mom is 92.

Sending you all the best!
SweetPea69
 
Hi Julie -- I'm checking in to see if you've posted yet, or had comments on surgery. I'll be back tomorrow....
I'm betting this time recovery will be better and faster, as you won't have one bum hip dragging you down, and the good side of you will get you moving faster.
All your stories of being an energizer bunny sound like me, ha ha. (A lot of truth to that, too.) As for coloring books? Mine are still in the box next to my recliner. As soon as I got quasi-moving, there were too many other things to do. But hey! I did do some coloring with an ipad app I found. But really, the best time killer app I found while recovering: Ultimate Jewel. It's a fabulous time waster... I'll still play that app now while riding my bike twice a day. Two levels of Ultimate Jewel, and my riding time is up. .... And no, there's not one educational thing about the game. It's just a good distraction.

PS - If you do start a 2nd thread, post a link to it here.
 
Looking out for you @Squirrellymom - ditch the batteries just for a couple of days at least and take it easy. :chillpill:
Then learn to rest and give that hip a chance before you start scaling ladders and jumping out of planes. Laughed at your daughter asking you to go on that trip with her! :flabber:
Best wishes and carry on with the thread if you're happy with it that way. :flwrysmile:
 
Heeeeeeear's Julie! I decided to sit down and get on the puter for a while and ice, ice baby. I made it once again to the Other Side. Yippee, if life treats me well I'm all finished with this joint thingie. Now for my new story for all who might be interested in what a #2 was like. :dancy: It's loooong. Let's begin....

Monday, April 11, I arrived at Centennial Hospital in Nashville just before 5AM for check-in. I am a creature of knowing ahead and being prepared. That's why the first time was a bit anxious for me because I did not know what to expect. (Think Google Mapping an area you've never visited and having Google Man drive you around - this is what I do before I take a trip. I already know the roads, the sights along the way, everything) This time my head was already patterned with every detail from before so I thought I would have a walk in the park. Not. The hospital had changed their routine since I was last there in January. After sign in and the nurse called me back to the prep area they merely took me in a room and gave me the paper Bare Paws wrap and took all my clothes and shoes, put them in a plastic bag and gave them to my husband. When I was in before, I was washed with the disinfectant and ted hose were pulled on and all the vitals taken, then I was rolled to the op floor on a gurney where a "team" immediately started my hook-ups and I hardly had time to even look around. Well, this time it was a bit different which made my brain scramble a bit trying to organize and process what was going to happen.

I was second in line this time instead of first. :skep: There was a man who was up in first place and THE team was focused on getting him all hooked up and ready to roll. A nurse did start my vitals, heart rate, BP cuff that squeezed every so often and she did get my Teds on. Although last time I had a knee high Ted on the op leg and a thigh high on the other. This time, even with me insisting I only wanted a knee high on the op leg, she put the thigh highs on both legs and rolled one down (NO!). So now I'm getting stressed because we've had three things that were not like the other. Before my time was spent in the downstairs prep area and then I was taken up to line up outside the op rooms and I was first in, this time I spent all of my time in the op area pondering when I might be called, dum de dum de hum hum hum. Laying on my back looking at ceiling tiles, :whistle:listening to the beep beep beep of the heart monitors in the room reminded me of Katy did/she didn't calls on a late summer night. Last time I was rolled into op by 7:45. This time it was 9:00 before my name came up. I had to have the nurse unhook me from all the "stuff" and allow me to go to the bathroom because I had to pee. I hadn't had any liquid since about 8PM the night before, but they had started the drip and -- there ya go -- didn't want to pee on the op table. I asked the nurse and he said they would catheter me in the op room and I asked, how long till that, he said about 30 more minutes and I knew they would roll me back and give me the cocktail and I would relax and ..... ahhh, the warm liquid oozing out onto the operating table and contaminating everything. Yikes! So up and in the bathroom to pee while holding my fluid bag which was still attached to the needle inserted in the top of my hand. :boohoo:

The anesthesiologist tech kept pacing and saying it shouldn't be much longer and looking around and all I wanted was to have a screen with a movie showing or something to distract me. I needed eyes in the back of my head to be entertained by my bouncing heart rhythm graph and my up and down BP numbers depending on exactly when the cuff squeezed and what was happening around me. Finally, a couple of people starting my gurney rolling back and I knew that as I went through the double doors I would be OUT light a light and never know anything else. Wrong, not this time -- ha - they wanted to keep me guessing how long before I could be oblivious to what was around me. This time I was awake and alert as I went through the first double doors, then I rolled down a hallway with lots of numbered operating rooms and then turned left to another hallway with more rooms and finally, right into MY operating room. I had never seen this area before and I wanted to shout, Hey, where is my Cosby Cocktail, where is the date rape drug? I'm still awake folks, remember! Sweet guy, Carlos told me everything they needed for me to do, sit up on side of gurney, bend forward, relax my shoulders and roll my back because anesthesiologist was going to do my spinal now and he would be feeling between the disks and insert the needle and I would be under. That was it. I don't remember anything after that very moment. They bonked me with the Pinot Noir and I said goodbye to all. By then, however, I had seen THE TABLE. I did not see it the first time. Also the op room was like a refrigerator, brrrrrrr, it was like being in the salad section of Costco. I don't know how they work in that chill. There were huge, satellite dish size lights with lots of bulbs, they weren't turned on yet thank goodness because my skin was not prepared for such scrutiny. I needed to put on make up, lip stick, my nose needed powder! Done, I'm in lala land. Now I had received the full Michael Jackson. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

I woke up very slowly in recovery and tried and tried to focus and pull myself out of the stupor. Sweet male nurse that had been with me before op told me I had had way too much Pinot Grigio and needed to get over the hangover. :cheers2: In recovery sometime a little after 11AM and up to my room by 12 noon. Hey Ma! No pain. My legs were numb and I kept trying to move them and wiggle my toes. They began to wake up by about 2PM and PT came in at 2:30 to get me UP and walking. I warned them that last time in January with the right hip I tried to get up and promptly threw up my ginger ale -- tossed my crackers. Nope, they wanted me UP. I sat on edge of bed and I could move my legs and toes but when I tried to stand my brain said, you have no legs, and I could not stand up. I sat back down, dizzy and spinning and ... yep, promptly gave up my stomach contents. So no PT standing check off and now back flat in the bed, serves them right. After about 30 min I ate some of my lime jello that I had brought (I'm glad I brought a lot of my own snacks as I could reach the ginger ale, saltines, jello, laura bars, etc and not have to call a nurse and ask for stuff) I threw up the jello within another 30 minutes. Done. That is exactly what I did first time. Two throw ups -- now leave me alone and let me rest. The anesthesiologist came by the next morning and I asked him why I might have thrown up and he said, probably too early to be sitting up and moving about after a spinal because of low blood pressure. Well then, duh, why did PT and nurses come and insist that I start moving all about. :scratch: Hey people, let's talk about this for the future, Okay?

No supper. I just didn't have the stomach for it and the menu choices were not what I considered a delight for a seriously sensitive stomach, ex: Nacho's with Cheese, Salisbury Steak with Mushroom gravy. :yikes: I declined. Pain was "0". Catheter was removed at midnight by a tech even with my objections since I had not passed the PT getting out of bed exam. She checked with a nurse who evidently told her to pull it out and if I needed to pee I could call a nurse and they would walk with me. Done. At 4AM a vampire came in and sucked some blood, so I decided to call that nurse and have her walk with me to the pee pee potty. I was good. Had bladder feelings and knew I needed to go. Toilet was too low and they had a measuring cup in it that I was supposed to aim for and hit - but I missed as it was too close to the front and I sat way back on toilet. Oh well, she made me swear that I did go and did go long time. :holysheep:After that I was awake and so ate a cashew date Laura bar, drank more ginger ale and kept it down. I'm okay. #5 - Alive (Short Circuit - circa 1986). By 6:30 room service called to see if I wanted breakfast, I ordered a bran muffin and banana, nurse brought a cup of coffee and man we are making progress now. Pain "0".

I had nurse help me dress and PT came again. This time I was able to get up, grip walker, go for walk in the hall and go into PT room for sit down, get up from chair, toe raises, in and out of weird chopped vehicle, up and down three steps with no problems. Occupational PT came and I brushed teeth, combed hair etc. Staff doctor came and said all was good, he saw no reason why I couldn't leave and go home. It was then about 10 AM. I was up in a recliner and coloring. My OS came by with his entourage and said I was doing most excellent, but since I was doing so well I might just forget I need to rest and only walk around about 10 min/hour so to take it easy and not do too much. I know, I know. He also said I could take Tylenol for pain, aspirin for blood thinning, Mobic for inflammation (6 weeks) and that I only need to wear TEDs for ONE (1) week!!!!!! I love that doctor. He also told me that his mother colors too. His mother! He is 40ish so I'm sure his mother and I are close in age. Young whipper snapper doctor. Pain. "0"

This left leg has some bruising around the incision packing. Glued - I will remove packing at 7 days. There is NO sign of bruising around the knee. My knee appears to be untouched. No burning, no swelling, no bruises. So different than before. My right knee still bothers me some. Tender around and above and when I walk a distance I feel some pain and tightness. Don't know what was different in the angle of that boot or that leg or what they jerked but they were very good with this left one.

I came home yesterday by 1PM and climbed the nine steps to my front door by holding the hand rail and putting good leg first, bring up op leg, one step at a time. No pain. Ate some yogurt and dry toast for lunch and sat on sofa and promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours. I'm puttering around the house sans walker (doc said it would be okay if I felt stable and I do) I had scrambled egg, muffin and banana for dinner. Taking my meds but no narcotic pain med, just Tylenol -- Pain "0".

I slept well last night. I'm used to sleeping on my back now and I have my incline wedge, lots of pillows, I was up twice during the night to pee with no problem getting to bathroom or peeing. Hey! I've got this. I have to remember to do my foot pumps and rest. I'm icing of course - almost constantly. I love my ice. I had to ASK for it in hospital. The nurses didn't bring me ice until I said, please, I have to have an ice pack ASAP. Bring my MY ICE, Bring it Now. !:censored: Pain "0"

I'm feeling great now at beginning of post op day #2. My left leg is NOT a log leg. I have lots of feeling in it and it does not feel swollen or heavy. Yes, I do have to pick it up to get on sofa or bed as it doesn't have much strength yet. I'm sure that will come very soon. I don't know if this leg was different. Doc said they are matching now as he put the same prosthesis in as the other and he made them the same length. I can tell! I felt lopsided when I walked before and the right leg always felt stiff and a bit like it was artificial. No more. Both legs feel normal. I've got the flushing face today just like I had with right hip. On the 2nd day I got this sunburn look on my face and it was warm to touch. It's there again today. Don't know what that's about unless its body reacting to stress. I know it will pass in a few days. I have outside PT tomorrow back at the hospital.

I'm feeling great. Almost too good. I have to literally tell myself to go slowly, rest, ice and heal. Too fast and I'll bonk. I'm not nearly as tired this time and way more mobile. I hardly notice the new left hip incision. It is tight and if I bend forward I get an ouch. I'm whole, I'm even, I'm walking without pain. I am ecstatic with the whole process. It is amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone who needs their joints replaced to GET IT DONE.

Pain on a scale of 0 - 10 = 0.

--julie :swim:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Squirrellymom so glad you made it back to the other side !! How interesting to hear how things have changed at the hospital in such a short time. Lucky you for not having the log leg. Take it easy and enjoy your 0 pain levels
As a one hip THR I'm beginning to feel like a junior and a bit left out here lol. Though I'm sure I will need the other eventually. Does a steroid epidural on Friday and vein stripping surgery on the 29th count ?????
 
@Squirrelymom - :wowspring:and :welome: to the other side of #2 hipsterhood! You sound like you're doing great (in spite of a few blips- always a blip or 2!) I love the pain level 0.

Your post reminded me of how different my #2 procedure was as well. I, too had to wait quite a long time before going into op the 2nd time. Not fun waiting. The first time was a wham bam thank you mam because they mistakenly gave me a later arrival time! So it was a rush to get me ready and in there. Much preferred!

I also did not see the op room the first time. But I was awake when they got me into op room the 2nd time. Kind of :eeeuw: if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got sick a few times. (Me, too.) Nurses said they thought the versed sedative did that....?

I'm glad you are home and comfy now. You sound very strong. That's great but don't push things too much too soon. I know you know that.....

Isn't it a great feeling to be done with both hips on and your way? Good luck and all the best for a continued smooth recovery!
 
OMG! I haven't finished reading all of your post yet (I'm at the Cosby Cocktail part), but I'm laughing so hard and couldn't wait to tell you! I'm loving every sentence of your post....I'll be back (as Arnold would say)! :rofsign:
 
Oh Julie!!!! I'm so, so happy for you! I LOVED your entire post (if you're not a writer, you missed your calling)! Other than the barfing, you have pretty much described my first THR! Yes, you are whole...hallelujah!!!!! I want all your posts to be that long, as I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time!!! Your post will be very inspiring for those who are still in the pre-op phase. Get some rest now. Hugs xoxoxo!
 
@Squirrellymom
Julie, how exciting to hear your good news ( except for the "barfing" part). That's exciting:wow: I'm ecstatic that your pain level is 0 & it sounds like that will continue. Maybe you could have traveled this weekend, but I'm glad common sense prevails. :cheers:
The operating room part was disconcerting, I'm sure, as was my operating room experience. I'll post about it on my recovery thread.
I agree with Cynthia! Keep up the awesome posts! It inspires us all & keeps us entertained.
 
@Squirrellymom You are so funny! I loved reading your thread.... :goodpost:
You are doing amazing I must say.....
I am sure you are making others who haven't yet had the surgery feel so much better about
what is coming.
I know when I had my hip surgery I was shocked at how little pain there was after the
surgery. (Not everyone is this lucky, though)
Keep up the awesome story, you are a star! :bow:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom