THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @Zelda That makes perfect sense. I believe that is where the "hillbilly" legend of the hill people actually got it's start. When the Ulster-Scots (yes, my ancestry!) came to America, many settled in the Appalachian mountain valley and moved into North Carolina and Tennessee. I do remember reading in my family lore that they tried, unsuccessfully, to bring the 'right short-legged haggis' over with them, but because the mountains where they settled in Tennessee had the steep angle going in the opposite direction it required them to have the short legs on the left side and thus they could not mate and they did not survive. My great-grandfather always told how they went snipe hunting after they could no longer hunt for Haggis in the mountains of Tennessee but said they did not taste anything like the delicacy that was the Scottish Haggis. Also, thank you for posting the picture of this rarest of creatures. I've heard about them most of my life but had never actually seen one. Truly overcome with emotion. :cry: Thank you! -- julie (who has both feet now firmly and evenly planted on the ground so as not to become extinct)
 
Interesting about doing the stretches @CatLady1. I was at PT today and had a new therapist that I hadn't seen before. She was instructing me on some exercises to do to strengthen my left leg and she noticed that I am actually still favoring my right leg instead. I think I have become so accustomed to using the left for so many years because the right one was always the one that hurt the most that I am still making that left leg the dominate leg even though it is the one now that has just received the new hip. She told me to stop and focus and pay attention to which leg I am favoring and to depend on both equally. I didn't have hamstring tightness today, but I didn't do a lot because I still have swelling around and along the incision. Therapist suggested that I wear bicycling shorts as a bit of compression might help. I've put on my husband's biking shorts with the padded butt bottom. I don't like wearing all of this. I feel like a stuffed sausage. Yes with the lifting leg to step into pants. I'm doing well with the right leg but this left leg I have to put the pants on the floor and lift the leg and place it into the pant leg then reach and work it up slowly. Flexible. Not. --julie (who is finding it easy to get into yoga positions but impossible to get out of them)
 
@Squirrellymom -- your comments about the bicycle shorts may have me shopping on line for a pair, if for no other reason than to protect the boney parts of my gluteus maximus. Riding a folding bicycle has me sitting more on those points than a real cyclist's stance, so the more cushions I get, the better. Heck, I may even tie a pillow on the seat. That ought to be worth a picture or two!
We haven't been biking since the Townsend trip, but I want to start up again before it gets too hot. Right now, it's too many commitments crammed into too little time.

I'm wondering if an ice gel pack in the bike shorts would work wonders for keeping ice positioned on a swollen area? Why didn't I think of that when it would have been helpful??
 
Sounds like you are progressing well. Isn't it funny how we learn to favor one leg over the other after so much pain and then continue when there is no longer pain! Hope the rest of the week goes well!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I wore those bicycle tight stretch shorts all afternoon yesterday @CatLady1 and I won't do that again. The ones I wore have tight bands that hit just above the knees and that was causing swelling and the waist band and thickness around the middle was uncomfortable for lounging on the sofa. I'm going to simply elevate and ice a little more and hope the swelling subsides. The incision on this left leg seems to be a bit different than the one on the right. It actually does go a bit higher so into the crease between torso and thigh. I know, I've tried to construct a way to keep an ice pack against the area and so far nothing has worked well and isn't worth the time to attempt it. I'm facing facts that I have to sit down, elevate and place that old ice pack flat on the thigh and sit. PT suggested I might want to lie down on my stomach so there is compression against the ice but that is uncomfortable and I can't read, look at television or color so......no.
@jomarie58 I am progressing very well. I'm up and doing and way more restless than I ever was during #1. I'm not in any pain and I'm not very tired this time around so I find it frustrating that I can't do more because I will cause swelling and I might not heal properly. I'm focusing on training my brain to walk correctly, not favor one side over the other and sit/stand using both legs equally. It will happen. --julie (who wonders if the 5 lb. weight gain I've experienced since #1 is due to swelling :skep:)
 
Hi @Squirrellymom - Sorry you're having all that swelling. Hope it calms down soon. You sound so ready to get moving! :dancy:

I, too had less fatigue and more restlessness with hip #2. (But I had more pain and swelling in the very beginning of recovery than #1.) I am also, like you, trying to sort/even out my gait and posture after years of compensating. I can only start doing this now that both hips are done. I used to put most of my weight on the hip that had more range of motion (left one.) In pre-op photos I am standing on my left leg with the right leg turned way out to the side with little weight on it. The left hip/leg took quite a beating from all that extra work and became very painful (even though it had better range of motion.) That's why I had it done first.

I am still favoring that leg but it's time to balance out now and get both working together. Old habits get so ingrained in our bodies, especially when we are avoiding pain! It's like we are babies learning to walk again, isn't it? I have to be conscious of every move on my feet or I'll start the old habits again - leaning to the left, etc.. My PT and pilates teacher help me realize when I am doing that.

Ugh - don't get me started with the weight gain with these surgeries! I bit the bullet and tried on my "real pants" today (jeans, work pants, capris, etc.) Depressing indeed! I have to donate all but 2 pair! They don't fit me anymore and I'm not keeping them around with fingers crossed. I have always been on the slender side and am not overweight really right now, but this is the heaviest I've been except when pregnant so it's uncomfortable. Plus I'm mad I can't fit into those pants! I will have to crank up the cardio with good walking and biking I guess. I might try my old cardio workout tapes and modify when needed. Luckily my hips are healing well and walking feels good. No pain, just some tightness at times.

Keep up the good (hard!) work of balancing out your gait! Sounds like we are going through some similar experiences after our hip #2 surgeries. I hope you have a good weekend! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Squirrellymom I love your posts and Energizer Bunny attitude! You are definitely inspiring, up and moving so much so soon. It is awesome to see a pain level of zero and walking normally! Definitely lets us know it's possible. Don't do too much too fast though. Doesn't sound like you're the kind of person who relaxes much so you probably have to focus on rest and heal! Sending focused healing vibes your way! :cheers:
 
I'm not posting frequent updates but I do tend to tip toe through the threads to try to keep up with everyone if I can. Today marks the beginning of week #4. I'm planning an excursion to the shoe store today to buy a new pair of walking shoes. I read somewhere, maybe on BS, that old shoes worn before THR could alter our new walking style. Anyway, it's a good excuse to go out and buy new shoes. Since this is beginning week #4, I plan to start short distance street walking (does that make ME a street walker?!? :blush:) and get the little dogs out for walks. Gotta build those sloppy old muscles that have been on extended vacation. Get back to work you quadriceps femoris, iliopsoas, sartorius, old stretched out hamstrings and gluteus maximus that is surviving on 20 clenches 2x a day. I looked up those first three.

I'm monitoring my days and nights this time with my fitbit. It is informative and entertaining. I'm not set up to remind me to walk more steps. I am doing all I can right now and fitbit needs to remain respectful. Sleep patterns are really something. I got the fitbit on Apr 15 and since that date I'm averaging about 7 hours sleep a night, even though I am in bed at least 8 hours but I do read for a while before sleeping. So far I'm awake and/or restless frequently. Last night was the best I've registered. I slept without waking or showing any restless movements for 7hrs and 15 min. Maybe because I was very tired last night from the night before when I had broken sleep with over an hour awake at 2am. No pain, just couldn't rest and get comfortable. :mcoffee: Amazing how the little graph shows all the peaks of restlessness and each awake time that, duh, corresponds to getting up to pee - sometimes 3x a night. I am able to sleep on my #1 hip side now and I am using the wedge to stay slightly elevated.

My steps. Daily average is about 3,000 steps a day. I started out on Apr 16 with 2,727 and I've registered 3,000+ every day except one. I walk all around in the house and go out in the yard every day if weather permits. So, yes, I'm really ready to start walking in a direction, turn around and come back and see how the fitbit measures that.

I probably have two more PT visits before they finish. I do homework exercises 'almost' every day. Some days I go out in the car and do a bit more walking if I have to run an errand so I rarely do PT exercises on those days. I am supposed to be doing my PT exercises 2x a day but I don't. Actually, I always feel better after I do the exercises. They are easy to do and serve to get my blood flowing to the op area and to stretch things a bit. No complaints at all about my exercise. I'm looking forward to getting on the stationary bike in about 2-3 more weeks. I'm not driving myself. I did start driving alone for hip #1 at 4 weeks so I will probably do the same this time. I am not taking any narcotic pain relief so I should not be mentally impaired :umm:anymore than usual.

I'm taking the meloxicam tab (15mg) 1x a day for inflammation (?) and my vitamin D3 tab. If I feel any discomfort I can take tylenol but I haven't needed any for the past week. I should be taking my aspirin tablet 1x a day but I'm up and moving so much I wrote that off also a few days ago.

From my perspective, the most difficult thing about getting new hips - either one new or two new - who knew? is the piddling around waiting to heal. I'm really really glad that I did choose to get them done one after the other as quickly as Medicare would allow but after an 8-12 week limited activity and then beginning another 8-12 week limited activity period, I'm down (but not out) for approximately six (6) months for both operations. I've missed one granddaughter wedding and now another granddaughter college graduation. Just send cash grandma and don't worry about it. Is it worth hanging around doing a bit of nothing for about six months to get two new hips and be able to forget about it at the end of the year. Oh hell yes! :climb: --julie (getting ready to plant tomatoes in pots on my patio so I can eat mater & mayonnaise samwiches in July)
 
--julie (who wonders if the 5 lb. weight gain I've experienced since #1 is due to swelling :skep:)

Ha ha. At least you have a 2nd hip as the reason for the total weight gain. I'm up about 3-4 pounds and have decided that it must be the new metal hip joint (seemed pretty heavy when we were passing it around during hip class) and the increased muscle mass... now that I'm walking and exercising more, there's got to be more muscle, right??. If it's not those two things, then dang!!!!, I don't want to hear about it. My clothes / jeans still fit me, so I'm not too sure it's from eating more (although that seems to be happening, too.)

I can see why people say that at 8 or 9 months they've forgotten about their hip. More and more I do, but there's still that hip stiffness that crops up every now and then. In general, it's just stiff motions, that I'm sure are due to lack of movement (the correct way) for the several years before surgery. I still notice gluteus maximus trigger point soreness / stiffness too (from what I can tell it is... looking online for the exact area.)

@Squirrellymom -- it's good to hear you're doing well so far. So much for getting surgery over before the heat kicked in. The last few weeks have felt more like June than April. Hopefully we can cool down for a few weeks before the summer blast hits in full force.
 
My husband reminded me just yesterday @CatLady1 that I never mention or complain anymore about my right hip because I am so focused on my left hip. (Is this what it must be like to be born the 'middle child'.) I am also slightly stiff when I first get up, stand up, get out of the car and I do feel the stiffness in the right leg but I'm so aware of what I must be doing with the left leg that I just MOVE both. I went to the Reebok outlet store yesterday and bought a new pair of ZigTech running shoes. They feel really "springy" :wowspring:so I hope they will work well as I now begin walking on hard pavement in the neighborhood. I went in looking for "walking" shoes and the Reebok outlet used to carry Rockport shoes but they have ceased stocking those. Then I started looking at the Reebok walkers and the clerk showed me how much lighter in weight the running shoes were and I was sold. I did tell her that I would not be running, never did and never will, and I shared with great pride about my TWO hip replacements this year. She was terribly young, in her 20s, and probably didn't care one iota about my joints, but I've become like a friend of mine back in the early 80s who had breast enhancement and had implants. She was so proud that she wanted to show "them" off to everyone, even the guys in our office (an engineering office where every man wore a pocket protector) and she would lift her blouse without thinking. Well, I may be showing off my scars to anyone interested in how this operation is done. :curtsey:I've got to start walking and building muscle. I'd rather know my jeans are too tight from buns of steel than buns of flubber. At my age, it is hard to coax those slouching glutes into youthful positions without some plastic surgical assistance (gee, thanks Dolly) but power to move is a pretty good reason to try. Yep, on getting all done before the increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere settles over the Southern states. I've got to shed these elastic waist warm-up pants. I'm so glad to keep up with your progress now at 4 months out Sheryl. I WILL catch up with you in a few weeks as the left forgets what happened. --julie (who just spent part of the morning herding the dog pack indoors away from a Gray Rat Snake lingering nearby some hollies with bird's nests in them - all this with one good leg and one bad leg :good-bad:)
 
Fantastic. You sound like you're doing really well.

I know what you mean about being proud of your hips - I was in work for a visit last week and almost showed off my scar but went for a photo of my last x-ray instead!
 
Ahh, you did exactly what I did, but I bought two pair. :spin: I went to the Nike store at our local outlet shopping center and found two pairs of clearance running shoes that fit well. I had walked a previous weekend in a pair of Merrell's and realized they weren't a good choice. I figured one of two pair should work well. And I'm with 'you on the springy-ness. Both of them feel like walking on air. I've worn them to work sometimes too.

I've discovered that not too many 'normal people' (that is, people who've not had joint surgery) want to hear about my new joints. My camping friends did when we saw them 3 weeks ago, only because they'd seen me limping badly the last time we camped a year ago. This year I had to demo my walk several times. I'm sure I had a slight limp still. Today I noticed with my after work walk that the tight hamstring is still felt (doesn't hurt, but feels tight) so I feel like me operated leg doesn't extend out like the unoperated leg does.

As for your gray rat snake, we have a black king snake that lives under our deck. A couple of weekends ago, we were headed out going somewhere... DH walked out behind me, then said, stopped me, and said, "stop where you are, and don't freak out" which generally is code for "what I'm going to show you should freak you out." Then he turned me around and pointed out our friend -- who was sitting under the back door step, with his back poking out from under the step. I'm told our slithering friend is a good thing.. he can keep rattle and copperhead snakes away. Good thing I had my hip fixed, so I can escape him faster! :bolt:

[Bonesmart.org] Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR
 
@Squirrellymom
So glad you are progressing so well!!! I went out yesterday & bought a new pair of SAS walking shoes--the Walk Easy style with the curved soles. They're pretty comfortable so I'm glad I did. Your posts are great!
Continue with your great progress!
SweetPea69
 
Isn't it so fun that WE are ALL walking in new shoes and that some of us feel confident enough to run with snakes. :thud: I haven't seen that 'chicken snake' since Wed. The dogs keep looking for it. When they go outside, they go directly to last place seen and poke around. Maybe it ate all the bird eggs and/or baby birds and slithered somewhere else to look for a snack. I hope so. I did buy Snake-B-Gone powder to sprinkle around those hollies. Sheryl, we had a BIG black snake last year that lurked in my vegetable garden area. I have raised beds but it was there off and on all summer. I don't remember now what we decided it was but it was not poisonous and seemed to be more afraid of us than we of it so I made sure to make lots of noise when I went to the garden and I just watched for it in order to give us both plenty of space. I would be banging on those steps before I started down if I were you. Maybe take your cane with you, not for your hip but as a precaution against snakes - think Rod of Asclepius - :what: really seems appropriate . I was concerned about this newest snake because when I first saw the dogs alerting to it, it was COILED. I posted a photo on FB and asked my Tennessee friends to identify it. Unanimous that it was a Gray Rat Snake aka chicken snake. They climb trees! Who knew? Back to hip recovery now.

I went to PT yesterday. It is with my surgeon's group so I chose at that time to verify my surgeon's instructions about using my treadmill, my goals, and again about the hardness, occasional slight swelling around scar. My doctor, Dr. Jeffrey Hodrick, is with Southern Joint Replacement Institute, Nashville. This is what I've now been told.

NO treadmill for at least 6 weeks.
NO lunges for 6 weeks (deep lunges - never, ever again)
NO weight machines for 3 months. No resistance on cardio machines for 6 weeks.
(I am using cardio machine set to 'level 1' resistance with no problem for 20 min. at a time)
Wear compression shorts, bike shorts, or Sheer Energy Panty Hose if swelling remains problematic.
Initiate deep tissue massage to the scar and surrounding tissue at 3-4 weeks PO. (I started massage last week and I have very little soreness. Still some discoloration/bruising of the skin and teeny pockets of swelling at a few points along the 4-1/2" - 5" scar. that are barely noticeable today)
Gait work. Work on anterior soft tissue to ensure good hip extension/upright posture with ambulation. In another couple of weeks I can work with foam roll if able. Strengthen the gluts.

Goals 4-6 Weeks PO:
Walk without a limp or assistive device.
Stairs with a reciprocal pattern and handrail for balance only
Single leg stance >10 seconds
Stand from 17" chair without upper extremity assistance

I passed all of the above goals yesterday at 3-1/2 weeks PO. One thing they did have me work on is the gait. How I land on my feet seems to need focus. (I'm usually chatting and forget to focus) I did about 10 step-ups on a rubber topped low step. I simply had to step up and immediately over with the other foot to the floor, much as you would step up or over a curb or an object (one of my dogs?) in the floor. I am landing more on my toes and I need to practice up and down with down landing on my heel. So, I'm walking around now with "heel, toe, heel, toe" sounding in my head. It is interesting to have to unlearn all the nasty habits I developed while compensating for the previous bone grinding pain.

I have lots of easy PT work to do at home. Stretches, pelvic bridging, clams, press knees to mat, leg lift in prone, hip abduction with band, single leg stance, step overs, etc. I did a new one yesterday with a BIG green ball where I place the heels of my feet on the ball and do pelvic bridging. I have a big green ball and a big red ball at home so I will be doing those now. Stretches to hamstring feel so GOOD after I've finished. @CatLady1 I'm doing the one I did for the right leg now with the left leg. Where I hook a rope/belt (me bathrobe tie) around my left foot, lie on stomach and slowly pull on rope and bring foot toward my butt. I stop when I feel the stretch and hold for 30 seconds. Relax & repeat 3 - 5 times. Also, this time they showed me how to sit on a mat with my butt and my back flat against the wall and my legs straight out in front of me, then lean forward slightly from the hips until I can feel the stretch in the hamstring. It worked. It felt great and I felt good enough when I left that I went grocery shopping at Costco. :secret: Yes, absolutely, I was tired after getting home as I was gone from 10 am to 3pm and I was really happy to SIT, ice and watch a Ken Burns presentation on prohibition and drink wine last night. :martini:

I was told that I'm doing very well and exactly where I need to be in recovery. I must continue to take it slow and focus on healing. I am not taking any pain relievers and never did AFTER my surgery as I don't feel I need them and all I experience is mild, localized discomfort occasionally which is remedied with rest and ice and a tylenol if necessary. I realize that pain is something we need to stay ahead of but I didn't know if I would experience pain unless I allowed it to happen -- and, it didn't. I don't take meds for a headache, unless I have a headache and most of the time just rubbing peppermint on my temples will stop it. I did experience PAIN before my surgeries. I was in misery for a very long time and I took Tylenol extra and meloxicam and heating pads and moaned and groaned and wept sometimes. I am not in that kind of pain. That, ummmm, I think I'm going to push this baby out, now breathe pain (cause that's when I start yelling, "Gimme Drugs, Gimme Drugs"!!!!) If I feel an ache or a cramp, I sit down, ice and color in my books and it will ease and go away. I know that everyone is different with their pain tolerances. I try everything holistic first but to anyone going through the pain of needing a THR -- the recovery side is sheer bliss - except for having to do very little to nothing for a while. Oh, bother. :bath: I am a personal advocate for PT as exercising has helped me, personally, to find strength to walk and the stretches are amazing after they are done. I've been fortunate to have PT through my doctor and to have found caring, knowledgeable therapists who have worked with THR and TKR patients. At no time has one of the therapists I've worked with insisted that I do any movement that hurt. I'm always told to "try" and if it hurts, back off or stop. I can walk in that therapy clinic with my body all stiff and aching and walk out feeling refreshed and springy. Amazing what exercise and blood flow can do for the psyche. :SUNsmile: --julie (80's here for this weekend and those tomato plants WILL get put in the pots - Lycopene for Bone Health, teehee)
 
You're doing so well Julie! I'm very happy for you! I can definitely see how PT has been a good choice for you and I'm anxious to see, once I'm further along in my recovery, if it may at some point be beneficial for me as well. Thanks for posting chapter 2, I had begun getting pretty antsy waiting for it! :heehee:
 
@Squirrellymom that is an awesome update!!

I am at 4 1/2 weeks post op and still have a pronounced limp and the same ole swelling. I called the OS office last week and they thought my swelling sounded like regular post op swelling and I felt better about it... For two days. I'm back to being frustrated and will go in to see them next week. I feel like the swelling is what is keeping me from walking well. I hobble around the house about half the time without my crutch because it just seems like an annoyance to use it, but I know I shouldn't do it too much since it don't want to reinforce my poor gait.

I feel great on my exercise bike at zero resistance and went water walking yesterday which was wonderful. I walk for 25 minutes or so outside mostly using my crutch. I can drive, go shopping, chores around the house, but I feel like I should be doing it all unaided at this point.

Same as you I only took Tylenol and ib as needed, and was still exercising regularly before the surgery. I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but I am comparing myself to my own expectations from what the doc's PA told me about what I could expect for recovery pre op. I really thought I would be walking unaided at three weeks. Trying to remain positive...
 
I am reminded of the christmas newsletters I get from friends and relations where I have to interpret what they are saying to reality speak, i.e.; our little Johnny is a chef (reality: works at McDonalds). I agree with @crazyfoxterrier that at about four weeks PO we are relearning how to walk without a limp. I'm focusing on the positive and pushing the negative away and I'm not doing anything that should cause harm to my new joint(s). I do what I am able up to the point of discomfort and I back off. Between the lines ... I went to Costco on Thursday after my morning PT appointment at 3-1/2 weeks PO and while I was fairly "stiff" when I walked into the PT room, stretches & exercise felt so good and I knew I could handle a walk about in Costco to pick up some items. I used the shopping cart as a crutch. I learned to do that pre-op at the grocery store or department stores. I would grab a cart, even if I didn't plan on buying much, and lean on it. After shopping at Costco for a while my husband asked if my hip was hurting. I hadn't noticed and when I asked him why he asked he said that --- I was limping. When I thought about it, I was feeling some soreness and a tightness (like a catch) in that hip and realized I was really leaning on that shopping cart. I knew it was time to go. We went straight home and I sat down and iced and rested for the remainder of the evening. I didn't fix dinner. I ate some yogurt & pears and there is no way I could have gone anywhere or done anything else that night. I was worn out. Still at 4 weeks (tomorrow) I take a cane with me everywhere outside of the house. Sometimes I don't take it out of the car because the hip is moving well and sometimes I use it to for balance. Actually I don't "go" many places. I go to PT, I've gone shopping at Home Depot briefly and TJ Maxx for about an hour. I use the shopping cart as a crutch. I go up and down steps holding the railing and taking it slowly. I go outside and pull a few weeds (which are taking over my shrubs :hairpulling:) and after a few bends, I'm done. I still swell a little. Last night - actually early this morning - I woke up feeling a tightness and itchiness around the left hip and I got an ice pack and iced. I was on my feet and sitting in a chair on the deck a lot yesterday and temps were in the 80s. I didn't turn on the A/C last night and I think I got hot and some swelling started. At PT, in order to reach the four to six week goals they have set, I have to walk without a limp, step foot over foot on steps and stand from a seated position without using my arms. Well, I can do that for time at PT. Focus and do it. When I'm back at home, I still use my arms to stand from a chair (why not? It's is so much more stable), I still hold the hand rail when going up or down steps and I occasionally limp around, especially when I've been sitting for a while. I go for short walks in the neighborhood with the dogs and I always, ALWAYS, take a cane or hiking stick. I'm not totally dependent on it but I'm not ready to attempt much of a walk without something to stabilize me if needed and I can start limping pretty quickly. It is a always a good idea to always talk with the doctor and office staff because they see so many recoveries and everyone is different. I am depending on the PT group to guide me. I will get to the point where I won't think about either hip or my recovery and I'll get up and down and walk "normally" and not have any swelling. It's the old two steps forward, one step back recovery period. I hope you get some answers when you visit the doctor @crazyfoxterrier and I hope you find out you are progressing "normally" and to keep on moving. I'll watch for your updates. --julie (who is a mother every day of the year and not just on a hallmark day)
 
our little Johnny is a chef (reality: works at McDonalds).
Heee heeee @Squirrellymom - yes I get some of those Christmas Round Robins ....
I imagine the people who go to so much trouble preparing them are actually trying to say ...
"Hello poor people. I'm now about to let you know how unfortunate I think you are"
(My husband hangs them on a nail in the toilet) :rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom